Driving Irons

1,178 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Yesterday
93MarineHorn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The lowest iron in my bag is a 4 iron (Titleist AP1). Lately I have be crushing it off the tee when using it on par 4s that are either short and tight or have trouble if I were to use a fairway wood or driver. I'm much more consistent with the 4 iron than my 5 wood, and because I tend to hit the sweet spot more often with the 4i, I hit it almost as far as the 5w off the tee. Also, I just don't have the same fears of snap hooking or blocking it badly when I use the 4i. I'm one of the few people that FLAT OUT SUCK at hitting hybrids so they are not an option.

This got me thinking about replacing the 5 wood with a lower lofted iron, maybe one of these new driving irons that have come out fairly recently. What I really need is a much more consistent tee shot on holes where driver is too much. One of the courses we play in my match play league has a lot of shorter, narrow par 4s where driver is just not a good option but 4i is not quite enough. Anyway, I was curious if any of you had tried them or had an opinion. I'm a 7hc with good swing speed so I thought I might be able to use a driving iron.
Yesterday
AG
I used a 2 Iron for a while when I couldn't hit my woods consistent enough, but honestly I was just hiding from fixing my woods problem. As to your question, I'd try a 3 or 2 iron first. You can buy plenty on eBay for cheap and resale them if you don't like it.
agsalaska
AG
I used a Ping Eye 2 2 iron until just a couple of years ago. I could crush it, but it was pretty limited in what it could do. It had such a disadvantage with its ball flight compared to a 4 wood or a hybrid that I finally retired it, originally for a hybrid, now for a Titleist 4 wood. But if was a 15 club rule instead of a 14 club rule I would still carry it and still hit it off the tee a couple of times a round.

My lowest iron in the bag is a 3 iron.
AV8ORAG84
AG
Get a hybrid and put a steel shaft similar to your (or same as) iron shafts. It will have la stiffer tip with more torque and be easier to hit consistently. Most hybrid shafts are made to flex at the tip to get ball airborne , makes it easy to hit a snap hook if you really go after one, Steel will stop,that. Good Luck
Yesterday
AG
quote:
Get a hybrid and put a steel shaft similar to your (or same as) iron shafts. It will have la stiffer tip with more torque and be easier to hit consistently. Most hybrid shafts are made to flex at the tip to get ball airborne , makes it easy to hit a snap hook if you really go after one, Steel will stop,that. Good Luck

Good asvice
93MarineHorn
Went to Golfsmith and poked around, but all they had in the category was a used 18 degree Adams Pro DHy. It looks like a beefed up 2 iron. I hit it very well off the astro turf at Golfsmith so I went ahead and shelled out the $75 and brought her home. Can't wait for the weather to improve and get this odd looking thing out on the range.
jja79
AG
You'll like it.
93MarineHorn
Went to the range today and hit this club worse than I've ever hit any club, even the several hybrids I've tried over the years. In 20 minutes of hitting balls, I hit only one straight ball. Every other shot was a low rope hook that actually hurt my hands. It was only mid 40's and pretty chilly, but still, that club was actually painful when I hit thin shots.

After seriously contemplating snapping this club over my knee, I remembered part of 03Ki11erag's post: "...but honestly I was just hiding from fixing my woods problem." So I pulled out my 3 wood, teed it up low and let her rip. I hit a very nice straight shot. I repeated that with my 5 wood, then 4 iron, then back to 3 wood. I spent the next 30 minutes hitting mostly very good tee shots with those clubs. I even mixed in my driver and was hammering it too.

So, another failed experiment and another $75, but the silver lining is that I know I need to get more comfortable with the 3 & 5 wood, and I know I can hit both of them well if I'm committed.
Yesterday
AG
Now don't hide from your driving Iron problem! That's great you got back to hammering your woods. Golf is so much more fun when you're driving well and leaving yourself wedges.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.