Broken window...

10,428 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by MW03
Maroonedinaustin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Played in a tourney this weekend and I put one through the bedroom window on the first damn hole. Talk about a crappy start.
proudaggie02
AG
Did you pay?
jj9000
AG
Dammit, son...how many times am I going to have to tell you...we don't swing our golf clubs inside the house.
AgPrognosticator
AG
proud, would you?
Matsui
AG
just drop off some strangers business card
jackie childs
who builds a house in the middle of the fairway?
Ag_07
AG
Sure hope that wasn't your best shot of the group.
Unemployed
AG
I wouldn't pay.
leachfan
I would pay.
AgDotCom
I would pay. Doesn't mean I'm right or wrong or better / worse than anyone else. That's just the side of the fence I fall on and I wouldn't expect others to pay if it was my house.
proudaggie02
AG
quote:
proud, would you?

My general answer is no because the law doesn't require it.

But I might make an exception if the person was really nice (or if it was an old lady, perhaps). I might also offer to pay for part of it in the form of cash on the spot (assuming I had $100 or so in my wallet).
DadAG10
I have paid $200 for a large window. (Bent the frame where the ball struck and likely cost more)

Tried to hit a fade on a dogleg right, and hit a horrible hook.

I know I didn't have to, but accepted it as my penalty for such a cr*ppy swing.

Don't ever want the Golf Gods pissed at me for being an *ss.
EastTexAg14
AG
I totally agree with paying it to compensate the hassle of having to get it replaced. If you own a home on a golf course are incidents like this factored into your insurance or some other additional plan?
Unemployed
AG
If you don't want to deal with the hassle of having your window replaced, don't buy a house next to a golf course.
DadAG10
You learn about the character of an individual on the golf course.

KatyAg01
AG
You should have re-enacted Tin Cup on the range at the U.S. Open.

"Who hit that?!?"
bagger05
AG
quote:

Indeed. Sometimes you learn the character of a homeowner who gets all worked up and ticked off about the manifestation of the risks they assumed when they bought a house next to a golf course.

Seriously, if there was a way for me to get it all taken care of right there on the spot then I probably would pay up to $100 assuming the homeowner was nice about it. Someone who got all mad about it and in my face I would definitely not pay.
DadAG10
quote:
quote:
Indeed. Sometimes you learn the character of a homeowner who gets all worked up and ticked off about the manifestation of the risks they assumed when they bought a house next to a golf course.

Seriously, if there was a way for me to get it all taken care of right there on the spot then I probably would pay up to $100 assuming the homeowner was nice about it. Someone who got all mad about it and in my face I would definitely not pay.
The time I did it the homeowner came out, handed me the ball, stated that the window (was a large one) was $200+ to replace as it had been hit before. Told him I didn't have the cash, he wrote down his name, address, and phone number, handed it to me and I left. He didn't know who I was. I mailed a money order to him.

I don't have facts, but would imagine that quite a few people purchase a home on the course for the view without thinking about windows, as many are not golfers. Some probably accept that their home could get hit, but had no idea of the frequency. Or they could just be having a crappy day and a broken window was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Regardless of how the homeowner reacted, I am wired to take responsibility of my actions whether intentional or accidental.
Unemployed
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

The time I did it the homeowner came out, handed me the ball, stated that the window (was a large one) was $200+ to replace as it had been hit before. Told him I didn't have the cash, he wrote down his name, address, and phone number, handed it to me and I left. He didn't know who I was. I mailed a money order to him.

I don't have facts, but would imagine that quite a few people purchase a home on the course for the view without thinking about windows, as many are not golfers. Some probably accept that their home could get hit, but had no idea of the frequency. Or they could just be having a crappy day and a broken window was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Regardless of how the homeowner reacted, I am wired to take responsibility of my actions whether intentional or accidental.
You're a better man than me. I would've told the homeowner to fk off.
ORAggieFan
Why are you not responsible? Pretty sure every course I play says the golfer is responsible.
Unemployed
AG
quote:
Why are you not responsible? Pretty sure every course I play says the golfer is responsible.
Having a sign up doesn't make it legally binding.
bagger05
AG
quote:

The course could maybe ban you if you don't pay (haven't heard of that happening but I don't see why not), but generally the law says you assume the risk when you live next to a course.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I would pay, but I don't have an issue with anyone that wouldn't. As long as you were trying to play a reasonable shot, you typically aren't legally obligated regardless of what someone may have put on a sign. And by "pay", I mean they are going to get a $100 "take it or leave it" offer on the spot. I'm not signing up for some ridiculous bill.
DadAG10
quote:
quote:
You are absolutely right.

A sign can't make someone do the right thing.
Unemployed
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Get over yourself. Your self-righteousness bores me.
B-1 83
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Get over yourself. Your self-righteousness bores me.
Your lack of taking responsibility for the results of your actions is amazing.
1208HawkTree
AG
You are not legally responsible unless you were aiming "at" the house (cutting a dogleg and hit it low, etc.), which would be considered negligence making you responsible for damages.

I remember reading a story about this awhile back where unless the course was built after the house (and the house purchased without knowledge that a course would be there eventually), you assume the risk as a homeowner of damage from errant and unintentional (see above) shots.

My uncle, who pretty much taught me the game growing up, always said he would offer to submit a claim to HIS homeowner's insurance, and if they paid, fine. If not, he's not paying out of pocket for a window he breaks. This is also coming from tge same uncle who put one in the upstairs dining room of Northgate CC going for 18 in 2. He said he didn't have to pay for that, either.
agsalaska
AG
There is a course called Legacy in Vegas that gets tons of local play. There is a short par 4 on the back nine that, without describing it in too much detail, begs any golfer playing from the tips to hit a high draw over a house about thirty yards in front of the tee. The siding of the house facing the back tees looms like a house in Baghdad With all the marks on it from low draws. It even has a few balls embedded in the siding. A friend of mine put a smoked Titleist in it one day, and the lady who lives there came out to give him a golfers clap. It was pretty funny.
WestTexAG
AG
I live on a golf course and I have zero expectation of anyone ever paying for a broken window there besides me. I'm fairly certain I wouldn't accept the money if offered. Its all part of the deal. I chose to live on a golf course, thus I should have to shoulder the liabilities since I enjoy the benefits.
DadAG10
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I would've told the homeowner to fk off.
Real talk from a immature pr*ck.
harge57
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I would've told the homeowner to fk off.
Real talk from a immature pr*ck.
Boo Weekley
You guys need to watch a few Matt Kuchar instructional vids and take some notes and this would all be a non-issue. Simply hit the ball about 300 yards, dead center of the fairway. Also, make sure your hip over-rotation isn't affecting your clubhead speed. Do these things, and you'll be living in the hall of fame in no time.
Unemployed
AG
quote:
You guys need to watch a few Matt Kuchar instructional vids and take some notes and this would all be a non-issue. Simply hit the ball about 300 yards, dead center of the fairway. Also, make sure your hip over-rotation isn't affecting your clubhead speed. Do these things, and you'll be living in the hall of fame in no time.
Referencing two different commercials in one post. Nicely done.
Boo Weekley
quote:
quote:
Referencing two different commercials in one post. Nicely done.
Unemployed
AG
Ha....I missed the last line.

So Skechers, Travelers, and Omega.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.