Moving to Belton, where to play golf

4,293 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by re_g07
agsalaska
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FIrst, I MAY move to Belton. Georgetown is not out of the question.

Second, my sister is a member of Horseshoe Bay, so I will be within two hours of fantastic golf to scratch that itch whenever I want. I also still have very good friends at Shady Oaks and Colonial and will be traveling to DFW on occasion to see my mom. And I will be in San Antonio a lot for work so some afternoon rounds at the Quarry, La Cantera, etc. will happen relatively frequently.

Third, Watty already warned me that golf in this area is going to suck, especially compared to my last two homes in Las Vegas and DFW. That's the purpose of the last paragraph. I will survive.

And fourth, I am certainly not opposed to joining a private club if I have to. I have not in my last two stops because I didn't need to join one to play quality courses. But I have joined them in the past and would again if that's what it takes.

So where to play? What courses am I going to play a lot? Any review of any course in the Temple, Belton, Killeen area is much appreciated.
droop5
I've never played the following two, but I've heard that the Ft Hood course and Salado's Mill Creek are decent. Although, I heard that the floods about five years back did quite a bit of damage. I've heard that it's a tough course.

One of the guys that use to post here is a member out at Twin Rivers (south Waco). Although, I hadn't heard from him or seen him post here in quite a while.

I enjoyed Wildflower in Temple, but I think it could get old after a while. They are Club Corp so it may not be a bad one to join. The Sun City courses in Gtown are all good. You can usually get good deals out there. Cimmeron is private, but I could get us on b/c of Traditions. Southern Williamson county isn't too far away and there are plenty of options there.

Let me know if looking for a golf partner. I'm in the Round Rock area.
watty
AG
You've seen a short comment from me already, but I'll at least say a bit more about Temple/Belton.

There's nothing in Belton. That was easy.

In Salado there is Mill Creek. They used to have three separate nines but a flood knocked out several holes so now they have 18 that span all three nines with creative routing and looooong drives between holes. I actually really like a lot of the holes. It's not a bad design. But the quality is up and down. But it's an option and they have a refurbished clubhouse and their greens are usually fast.

In temple, Sammons is a short course that is very tight, water or OB on almost every hole. I know everyone there, nice guys and the course is in better shape than it used to be but it still is a muni. A couple holes are way too easy, a few are really hard. I like it fine but it's not exactly something you'd be happy calling your home course. Decent range and short game area.

Wildflower in Temple is the private club. Honestly, I don't really like it. Many greens are severely sloped back to front and they often put the pins in unfair locations on ridges. The course is always firm. I don't feel like it's condition is much better if at all compared to Sammons. They have a couple wanky holes that I think are dumb. It is also loaded with OB and water. Terrible range but nice short game area.
watty
AG
I really like all 3 Sun City courses, fwiw.
jackson2031
I grew up in the area and if I were to m
jackson2031
*move back I would join wildflower and enjoy the clubcorp perks. Especially since you will get plenty of variety by traveling and play
Matsui
AG
Im from temple

Choices are cottonwood in south Waco. Sammons park in temple. Mill creek in Salado. The Georgetown sun city courses. Or the city course in Killeen.
GIF Reactor
AG
I can't add much to what was said above, other than to say Sammon's is a decent municipal course, and the 3 sun city courses and Round Rock/Austin courses aren't too far away. The condition of Mill Creek and the Waco courses are hit or miss.
agsalaska
AG
I played StoneTree today in Killen. I guess it used to be called Killeen Municipal Golf Course since that's what half of the branding was out on the course. Its short from the regular tees and other than a few holes and the par 3s pretty uneventful, but it is in good condition and the greens were in good shape.

Guess I am going to try another one next week.

bigfoot10s
AG
I've always enjoyed twin rivers
FirefightAg
AG
I've played mill creek a handful of times it's probably your best bet. It's a good lay out and not to hard but still a challenge. It's usually not too crowded either.
watty
AG
When's the last time you were there? Things have changed over the last few years. Floods damaged several holes and now you have to play a weird mix of all three nines to make up your 18. And IIRC, it's a par 69 under the current layout. Unless it has changed this spring and summer.
Post removed:
by user
Willis
AG
If you live in Belton I would join Wildflower for the Club Corp perks, escpecially if you have kids so they can swim, etc. I live in Cove so I only play it a couple of times a year. Like another poster said, it could be in better shape considering it is a country club. I personally don't mind the range because I'm not looking for a theme park, just a place to duck hook a few before I repeat on the course, and the short game area is nice. There are some funky holes/tee shots. 7, 9, 11, and 12 come to mind. Five always seems to mess with me too. Feels like a blind shot on the tee and to the green to me.

You can always play other courses too. If you're in Georgetown, I would be at Cimarron Hills pronto.
agsalaska
AG
How much are the dues at Wildflower? Do you know?
watty
AG
I really don't like the layout at Wildflower. It is in fantastic shape though right now. Best it's ever been. Granted, that's just because of the record rainfall and next summer it will suck again but for now, it's nice. But as a course, I just don't like it. Prices are reasonable though. A couple years ago my buddy joined for $200/month I think.
79TAMU79
AG
Try Tera Vista in Georgetown (30 minutes past Salado) or Star Ranch near Hutto. Both cost around $60 per weekend.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
Shoot me a pm to join me at Berry Creek in Georgetown.
Ponyupag
AG
Wildflower is crap. I have played it once a year for the past 5 years and it gets worse and worse everytime. Bad layout, lots of OB, stupid holes, and never in good shape.
agsalaska
AG
I went to check out Wildflower today after my round at StoneTree. My wife went inside and checed the place out before I got there.

Obviously there are mixed reviews at best about the course itself. I will be giving it a shot on Thursday.
agsalaska
AG
I joined Wildflower last week and played it for the 4th time today.

1st. It kind of sucks not knowing anyone out there. Everyone is as nice as they can be but they do not pair up groups in the morning. So at 8:22 Saturday morning I teed off by myself. And there doesnt seem to be a competitive game, at least early in the day. That's probably OK since I am sucking ass right now.

The course is in great shape. Supposedly they have a new greenskeeper who is getting a lot of credit. Hopefully it is as much him as the record rainfall.

I ultimately joined for my kids. They need a place to play and it is a lot easier to teach and have fun on a private course when they are real small. my soon to be 4 year old boy and I went out at 7:30 the other night and played four holes from 50 yards in. Then screwed around on the putting green for 15 minutes. Cant do that at Stonetree. There are a lot of kids out there.

As for the course, its kind of odd but I like it alright. Its barely 7000 yards and I think I can score on it if I can figure out how to hit an iron. I havent seen anything that I would consider a poor layout though it does have a few forgettable holes.
shaynew1
AG
they can be dirty w the pins sometimes. i live in groesbeck and play mostly in waco. trying to make an effort to get out with a little more regularity. so if youre desperate for some clown stranger to play with sometime we could meet up...its not that much further for me to wildflower. need to sharpen some things up for the waco city this month.
GIF Reactor
AG
Agsalaska, if I may ask, how old are you? We've considered joining Wildflower, but I don't think there are too many younger families out there. I'm not crazy about the layout either. I usually get my fill in the 4 or 5 charity tournaments we play in each year there.
agsalaska
AG
I'm 38. I have a 3 yards old and a 6 year old.

The older community seems to dominate the morning play, at least the one morning I have played. But twice in the afternoon I have paired up with Aggies, both a little older but cool guys that I enjoyed playing with. I also met a guy on the putting green my age who is married to an Aggie. There are a LOT of youngsters out there playing. I ended up playing two holes with some soon to be high school freshman this weekend. They both played those holes even. As many kids as I have seen there must be some people our age. Also spent a night last week at the pool and there were several parents there in their 30s.

There are not a lot of other options around here, especially if ypu want to teach your kids.
watty
AG
Let's play together sometime. Can't do it this week or next but would love to meet another good Ag. I'm in Temple. Would be happy to play Wildflower or Sammons. Have you played Sammons yet?
sellthefarm
AG
I live in Temple and actually enjoy Sammons. Its really cheap and really crowded in the evenings, but I have still been able to get in 18 when teeing off at 5:00.

If you play the white tees, a couple of the par 4's become drive-able, which I think is fun.

Also 3 or 4 holes have long water carries on approaches, including 2 par 3's, 1 of which I almost aced a couple weeks ago.

All in all, it's crowded and cheap but presents several challenging, but fun shot opportunities.

It does take playing it a few times to learn your way around.
agsalaska
AG
Nope but I am ready to play. I cant play this weekend either but when you can let me know.
re_g07
I live in Temple and have been a member of Wildflower. The only reason we dropped our membership was two career changes at once. My wife and I played twice a week for the first 2 years we were members then she changed jobs and couldn't play, then i did the same a few months later and could not get out. We just could not justify the membership for one round a month or less for a couple months. I have also played Sammons many, many times.

I did get a chance to play Wildflower about 3 weeks ago and can say this: it is playing softer than I have seen it play since we joined 5 years ago. When it gets hard and fast so much OB and hazards come in play. Also, when it gets hard and fast the pin locations can become ridiculous with some of the slopes. Stupid ridiculous.

Now Sammons. I like Sammons with the new layout becuase you will probably hit every club in your bag. The condition wont be top notch, but the good news is top rate is like 36 bucks with a cart. Yoiu will also have risk reward chances, layup or go for it.
If you have any questions about any other local courses post here and I can let you know. I am always talking to people playing all of them or playing them myself.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.