New Pro V 1s Released

6,191 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by agracer
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.titleist.com/golf-balls/Pro-V1-Pro-V1x.aspx

Is $62 a joke? Or am I missing something
Chipotlemonger
AG
jj9000
AG
$5 per ball is laughable.

Also, my irrational dislike for all things Callaway may be shifting as I think the Callaway Chrome Soft will be the dark-horse 2015 Ball of the year.
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
Ha, that is ridiculous.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Ridiculous. Also contributes to the slow play problem when hacks are looking for their $5 ball.
cevans_40
AG
Titleist has gone up on everything this year. May have priced themselves out of a lot of business.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Down with Titleist
KatyAg01
AG
Do they fly 55% farther and spin 55% more than the most recent iteration, which can be had for $40/dozen? If not, what a rip off.
maplunkett
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
Wondering if they are equipped with gps tracking chips or sensors for automatic glow-in-the-dark activation once a certain level of darkness is reached? Surely there is something we are all missing? If they were engineered so that I was guaranteed to almost never ever lose a ball, I may consider this a reasonable price.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
Wondering if they are equipped with gps tracking chips or sensors for automatic glow-in-the-dark activation once a certain level of darkness is reached? Surely there is something we are all missing? If they were engineered so that I was guaranteed to almost never ever lose a ball, I may consider this a reasonable price.
You forgot the automatic remote control life raft so you can guide to the shore nearest you.
Aggie1391
Are you kidding me?? The only people buying these balls wills be the ultra rich and the executives who expense it as a "gift" for a client
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
Yep, they will become more of a status symbol than ever. As my game has improved, I have begun playing these balls over the past 1-2 years and they really are great, and the feel is second to none imo. But that price is so obscene I will likely be boycotting all Titleist products (other than second-hand) going fwd. It's insulting.
Furlock Bones
AG
the golf business in general is getting murdered and the manufacturers don't know what to do. likely Pro Vs are the most profitable group at Titleist, so they are trying to squeeze every last cent out of them while their club business founders.
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
How are they getting murdered? Forgive me if a stupid question. Seems like the sports popularity is at an all-time high...in terms of participants, maybe not viewers.
Mr.Bond
AG
Golf manufacturers as a whole are having declining Sales from an article I read about a year ago. I guess people finally caught up to their bull **** about every new club is better than the one 3 months ago
jackie childs
are you sure you guys aren't making a big deal out of nothing?

just because titleist.com lists the MSRP as $62 doesn't mean that's what it will be sold at. their site has the nxt tour at $44 and they sell at golfsmith for $34.

i bet they'll be available for $48/dozen just like always
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
What is the current MSRP listed on a box of Prov1's? $52?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Golf manufacturers are suffering because less people are playing golf. The entire industry is hurting.

In 2013, the # of rounds played in the US was the fewest since 1995, which was down about 16% since the high water mark set in 2005. Course closures have outnumbered course openings for 9 straight years. In total, there have been in the neighborhood of 5000 more golf course closures than openings over the past 7-8 years.
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
Wow, I would have never guessed. Maybe my perception is skewed because I only recently caught the golf bug around 2009 and have gotten really heavy into it the last 2-3 yrs
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, there was participation growth when Tiger first hit the scene and lasted for a stretch, but it completely disappeared as fast as it built up. The Tiger effect was much more significant on TV ratings and tournament purses than actual recreational participation. But from a participation perspective, more people are giving up the game than picking it up, and it was declining a few years before the 2008 recession and continued to decline throughout the recovery. If I recall, there were 30MM golfers in 2005, it started declining the year after, and is now below 25MM.
mongey donk
AG
quote:
Do they fly 55% farther

would buy
agsalaska
AG
I quit playing Titleist after the 2011 release because those balls sucked. But the 2013 Prov 1x is a badass ball. When and if the prices of the 2013 drop I will load up.

By the way, all of last year the Golf Galaxy in Southlake had 2013 prov1x x-outs for 29.99. Best deal in golf.
jja79
AG
quote:
Yeah, there was participation growth when Tiger first hit the scene and lasted for a stretch, but it completely disappeared as fast as it built up. The Tiger effect was much more significant on TV ratings and tournament purses than actual recreational participation. But from a participation perspective, more people are giving up the game than picking it up, and it was declining a few years before the 2008 recession and continued to decline throughout the recovery. If I recall, there were 30MM golfers in 2005, it started declining the year after, and is now below 25MM.

I can believe yhat. For the future what to expect? I belong to 2 CC'S and play with my 11 year old. We very seldom see another kid playing.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think it's just going to get worse. In our smartphone/constantly connected world, I think attention spans have just become too short and calendars too busy for many people to fit rounds of golf into it. The under age 35 participation rate is decreasing the fastest. Women have been joining the game, but 3X as many men are leaving it. The game isn't going to disappear or anything, but I think we're still a ways from the bottom.
WHOOP!'91
AG
You can get 3 dozen Pro-V1 or Pro-V1x reloads for $30 at Academy.
jj9000
AG
quote:
You can get 3 dozen Pro-V1 or Pro-V1x reloads for $30 at Academy.
Reload = Lostgolfballs,com

Aggie owned company out of Sugarland.

Awesome warehouse facility (and interesting sorting process) they have in Sugarland...every time I'm there I'm like a kid in a candy store.

Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
quote:
I think it's just going to get worse. In our smartphone/constantly connected world, I think attention spans have just become too short and calendars too busy for many people to fit rounds of golf into it. The under age 35 participation rate is decreasing the fastest. Women have been joining the game, but 3X as many men are leaving it. The game isn't going to disappear or anything, but I think we're still a ways from the bottom.

And I say good. All those Tiger wannabe's that slowed everything to a crawl screwed up the pace of play so now we have people believing it takes 2 hours and 20 minutes to play nine holes. I'll gladly take some course closures and a little higher price to get rid of a bunch of people who just don't need to be out there or need to learn some freaking etiquette. It's really not that hard.

Rant over.......for now.
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
quote:
By the way, all of last year the Golf Galaxy in Southlake had 2013 prov1x x-outs for 29.99. Best deal in golf.
These are the same specs as the regular ball right?
jj9000
AG
quote:
I quit playing Titleist after the 2011 release because those balls sucked. But the 2013 Prov 1x is a badass ball. When and if the prices of the 2013 drop I will load up.

Or, you could buy brand new TaylorMade Lethal 'Practice' balls (same thing as X-outs) from me for $15 per dozen (10 dozen minimum)

I have over 20 dozen.
oneeyedag
quote:
Golf manufacturers as a whole are having declining Sales from an article I read about a year ago. I guess people finally caught up to their bull **** about every new club is better than the one 3 months ago

Spot on! Ball technoolgy has IMO hit a plateau. The average golfer could not differentiate the top most played tour balls without manufacturer logos.

Irons and drivers are the same to some extent. Im playing a Titleist driver made in 05 with an upgraded shaft designed and fitted for me. Compared to todays equipment I have gained nothing.

Golfsmith guys trying to sell me newest and greatest crap. Go into the hitting bay and compared launch, spin and rpms while having my driver regripped. Once done I hit my current driver, not enough of a difference to sway me in buying a new driver.

Its all marketing.
DannyDuberstein
AG
As far as drivers are concerned, once COR, MOI, and head size limits came into play for drivers, there was only so far they can take improvement. For a while now, it's been all about finding the right fit for your swing vs. just buying the next advancement. And balls and irons are pretty much in the same territory. There's only so much tech to build into it - at some pont you have to put the grooved metal thing squarely on the ball.
jackie childs
quote:
There's only so much tech to build into it - at some pont you have to put the grooved metal thing squarely on the ball.
i hope no taylor made guys follow texags. if so, expect an email from golfwrx in about a week announcing the all-new Taylor Made R-Zero driver, now with its patented ZERO groove face!!!!

thanks danny
DannyDuberstein
AG
What if they start putting grooves on the balls and dimples on the clubfaces?
jj9000
AG
quote:
What if they start putting grooves on the balls and dimples on the clubfaces?
Look no further than the TaylorMade Nubbins from years ago.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.