new ben hogan iron/wedge set

3,367 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by agsalaska
LeFraud
How long do you want to ignore this user?
First look of the 2015 ben hogan irons that have been brought back by Terry Koehler, who developed the SCOR wedge system...and he's an Ag.

http://www.benhogangolf.com/ft-worth-15
leachfan
Thanks for sharing. I thought about putting a down payment on them with hopes there would be a cb model. They look sexy, but I'd be kidding myself if I thought I could hit those consistently.
AgDotCom
I admit I wasn't expecting much.

Damn, they hit these out of the park.

The classic Hogan irons evoke visceral feelings. Looks like these guys poured their hearts out on this and they nailed it. Very well done.
Ag_07
AG
My cousin works for these guys in Victoria and he's super excited about what they're doing and where they're going with Ben Hogan.

They're in Orlando this week at the PGA Merchandise Show to unveil these.
xaggie95
AG
Damn those things look sharp. Would love to get my hands on some in the near future.
powerbelly
AG
These are they same guys behind scor wedges.

I think they really did a good job with these, but there is no way I could play them.
jackie childs
interesting concept, but not looking forward to hearing people say, "aw man, i should've hit my 35 instead of the 31"
jonj101
Not sure if any other iron has done this, but I've been thinking someone would stamp lofts throughout a set for a while.

Somewhat of a deviation from relabeling a 6 a 7, etc.
AgDotCom
Edel has done this (stamped lofts) with their irons fairly recently.

Not sure I'm a fan of that right now either, but I think it would be fine later.
mt3950
AG
So are they going away from the Scor wedge brand and rebranding them Hogan?
stick93
AG
Yes. Scor is going away.
mt3950
AG
interesting....ive heard nothing but great things about the wedges...im sure the irons will be solid as well
bagger05
AG
quote:
interesting....ive heard nothing but great things about the wedges...im sure the irons will be solid as well

Only beef I had with the wedges is that they appeared to be noticeably smaller. Would be interested to know how these are size-wise compared to other irons.
stick93
AG
My best guess is the irons will be on the smaller side. Terry is big into classic looks. But I would be willing to bet they will perform really well. He had a winner with Reid Lockhart irons and wedges. And Scor wedges have been well received from a critical standpoint. Hopefully he has good backing to get them to market and that the Hogan name will get these over the hump.

I just need them to be available in LH sooner than later.
bigboykin
AG
Hogans have always been the best looking irons in the game, IMO, and these are true to that. I'm still rocking Hogan Apex channel backs, and when you hit them pure they feel like nothing else. A wife and two kids later, my ball striking isn't what it was when I got them but I still think they're great clubs.
leachfan
Link from Star Telegram

$149 ea. Available in April
Ag_07
AG
I really think the effed up marking them with lofts instead of conventional iron numbers.

I think many people will be turned off by the weirdness and not want to put forward the effort in learning the numbering system and what it entails. I can see lots of guys looking at clubs and seeing this and immediately crossing them off the list.

Seems like it kinda narrows your market to the golfer who has an advanced understanding is up to date and in-tune with equipment.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
I really think the effed up marking them with lofts instead of conventional iron numbers.

I think many people will be turned off by the weirdness and not want to put forward the effort in learning the numbering system and what it entails. I can see lots of guys looking at clubs and seeing this and immediately crossing them off the list.

Seems like it kinda narrows your market to the golfer who has an advanced understanding is up to date and in-tune with equipment.
i kinda like it.

instead of bending an iron +1/-1, you just get the iron one loft higher/lower.
CapCityAg89
AG
quote:

That's exactly the market - better players (3+ HC) and wannabe geeks like me b
AggieT
AG
I kind of like it that way. It might take you all of one trip to the range to get used to it.
Ag_07
AG
I like it too and think it's good from a golf standpoint. I was just talking about it from the marketing aspect.

If you're trying to resurrect a brand and get it back out in front of the masses I think it may hamper that a bit.
leachfan
I like it too and definitely says something to the manufacturers that advertise their 6 iron is longer than competitors. When, really, there 6 iron is the competitors 7 iron.
bagger05
AG
I think if they market it right then it could be a positive, but I agree that it might scare away someone looking to upgrade his TaylorMade SuperSpeedRocketBladezzzz 5.0 irons that he just bought three weeks ago.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
Will these come in a game improvement set as well?
Ragoo
AG
Beautiful clubs

Don't play as much golf as I used but i will never part with my Hogan apex plus irons.
SW AG80
AG
Saw a prototype of these at Shady Oaks CC last month. They are really nice looking and are very classical. I am looking forward to trying them.
TresPuertas
AG
WANT
Marauder Blue 6
AG
http://www.pgatour.com/news/2014/05/20/ben-hogan-golf-clubs-terry-koehler.html

I had no idea Koehler is an Aggie until today.
jonj101
Even if it doesnt result in astronomical sales compared to taylormade etc, I like that they went with lofts instead of the common loft strengthening/relabeling that happens now.

I think its a refreshing shot in arm to an industry that has become to comfortable peddling hype. Forget about buying a new club so you can hit your "7 iron" 200 yards. Make the effort to understand your lofts and distances and select the corresponding club.

I could be wrong, but I imagine Hogan would be more pleased that versus redundant marketing schemes.
Whoop04
quote:
I think if they market it right then it could be a positive, but I agree that it might scare away someone looking to upgrade his TaylorMade SuperSpeedRocketBladezzzz 5.0 irons that he just bought three weeks ago.

He isn't marketing towards that type of golfer, and it would be a mistake if he did. I think there are plenty of golfers turned off my the TM type marketing machine who are interested in the ideas of the hogan clubs.
I am unlikely to buy any (for a few years anyway), but I would give them a shot if I were looking to buy today.
Old School Brother
makes me want to dust off the Edges and take them out to the range.
jackie childs
quote:
Even if it doesnt result in astronomical sales compared to taylormade etc, I like that they went with lofts instead of the common loft strengthening/relabeling that happens now.

I think its a refreshing shot in arm to an industry that has become to comfortable peddling hype. Forget about buying a new club so you can hit your "7 iron" 200 yards. Make the effort to understand your lofts and distances and select the corresponding club.

I could be wrong, but I imagine Hogan would be more pleased that versus redundant marketing schemes.
my only real concern is that i think this approach will only appeal to a small percentage of golfers, the ones who hit their clubs very consistently and have above-average distance control. and all the golfers i know like that are either reps for titleist, ping or callaway or have older clubs and no intention of switching anytime soon.

the individual loft idea isn't really new, it just hasn't been applied to the whole set of irons. look at your scoring clubs...most wedges offer lofts in 2* increments already. i just can't imagine too many 10+ handicappers taking the time to get fit for a full set of individual loft clubs when they could pay less and take advantage of whatever research ping, titleist or callaway have done to show the best average loft of a 5iron.

so you've got a potentially small market and a very expensive club. seems like a bad idea to me...or at least one that may not have a ton of staying power.
agracer
AG
quote:
quote:

my only real concern is that i think this approach will only appeal to a small percentage of golfers, the ones who hit their clubs very consistently and have above-average distance control. and all the golfers i know like that are either reps for titleist, ping or callaway or have older clubs and no intention of switching anytime soon.

the individual loft idea isn't really new, it just hasn't been applied to the whole set of irons. look at your scoring clubs...most wedges offer lofts in 2* increments already. i just can't imagine too many 10+ handicappers taking the time to get fit for a full set of individual loft clubs when they could pay less and take advantage of whatever research ping, titleist or callaway have done to show the best average loft of a 5iron.

so you've got a potentially small market and a very expensive club. seems like a bad idea to me...or at least one that may not have a ton of staying power.
kind of agree. I know my distances on my irons and trying to get straight on lofts would just make it a lot more work. My bag would be 21, 24, 27, 31, 35, 40, 45, 50, 56.

Sure, I'd eventually figure it out but I now have 4 clubs with a "5" on them...I hope you have an organized bag!
WestTexAG
AG
quote:
quote:
i just can't imagine too many 10+ handicappers taking the time to get fit for a full set of individual loft clubs when they could pay less and take advantage of whatever research ping, titleist or callaway have done to show the best average loft of a 5iron.

What on earth about these clubs would a 10+ handicapper be interested in? Have you even looked at the clubs? They're awesome, but they're blades!
oldschool87
AG
Thus is revolutionary!!! Already built my set!!!!

Bunch a negative nannies, wow! Is it that hard? Really? Type up a cheat sheet put it in your bag. And you can look at it every time to show you which club is your 5 iron....

Did you stop to think you already do this with your 52, 56, and 60 wedges. How do you know what those are?

I can't freaking wait, increasing loft on 3, 4 and 5. Coming down on 8, 9, pw!!!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.