less backspin

1,164 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by CTR14
mbyrd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Need to reduce backspin with the driver.......suggestions? im 6'5 and have a short backswing due to multiple back surgeries.
bagger05
AG
What kind of equipment are you using?
HouAggie
AG
Get fitted, tee it higher, lower loft, stay behind the ball, hit with a more ascending angle of attack, contact ball higher on the face.
AgPrognosticator
AG
Just out of curiosity, how do you know how much backspin you have? Why do you want to reduce it?
mbyrd
was trying out a few new drivers at a golf store and the computer (hitting into a screen) indicated I had too much backspin. I currently use a 10.5 degree driver (Adams) and average about 260 on my drives. I was told I have a steep downswing but due to my size and back issues not sure how much I can change there. My best bet might just be less degree on the driver.
WHOOP!'91
AG
The most obvious answer seems to be maybe a 9.5* driver. Should produce less loft and backspin without changing your swing at all.
Whoop04
The ball can make some difference too. Check out the Bridgestone 330.
mbyrd
currently hitting pro v1x
ElCheAg
AG
I play a 12.5 degree driver, and don't get enough elevation.
AggieIce
AG
I switched from the ProV1x to the ProV1 last year, and I had less spin and longer distance.

I always thought the X would be best for accomplishing that, but I guess every swing is different.
AgPrognosticator
AG
Based on what your saying, I would suggest moving the ball up in your stance. You may not be able to change your swing too much, but you can move the ball forward.

Your downward blow is what is imparting the backspin, so if you can move the ball to a point in your swing where you aren't impacting the ball at such a severe angle, you will probably see a lot less backspin.

Another idea is to pretend you are hitting driver like the old school guys where they would intentionally hit down on the ball -- almost like an iron, (see Ben Hogan). You will lose carry, but if you embrace your swing, you may actually gain some distance. There is nothing wrong with poking line drives 265 if you have that shot under control.

Also, for what it's worth, the G series Ping drivers impart significantly less spin than most other drivers.
mbyrd
appreciate all the suggestions
CTR14
I know this sounds like common sense, but many golfers don't realize they aren't doing it. Make sure to fully extend your arms on your follow through. For a long time I was hitting far in flight but had absolutely no roll. I started to make sure that I was actually extending my arms at contact and I had a much better flight path and I got a better roll. I hope that makes sense.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.