Losing Distance..... P90x or Joey D golf?

5,544 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by booradley
booradley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
guys - I turned 55 this year and I've lost quite a bit of distance...

my irons are basically the same, but my driver is somewhere around 20 - 30 yards shorter than what I remember.
and I've tried every driver out there.

I've never worked out much - but thinking about committing to either P90x or Joey D golf in hopes that strength and flexibility will make a difference.

anyone use either program?

thanks
inozips
AG
Irons going the same distance, sounds like you need a lesson or two.
watty
AG
He was saying his irons haven't lost distance, not that all of his irons fly the same distance.
ColoradoMooseHerd
pretty sure he knew what he meant but having a little fun
bagger05
AG
I did P90X for a while. It is a good overall program, especially if you are looking to lose weight (great for losing weight assuming you are doing the diet as well). Be aware that it is a really big time commitment. Time in front of the TV actually doing exercise is about 1 hr 15 minutes on strength days, 1 hr for cardio and plyo, and 1 hr 30 minutes for yoga. And that is just time in front of the TV and doesn't count getting ready, taking a shower, etc.

This routine will work your core like mad which I assume would be good for golf. Also it isn't really a great program for adding size because it's mostly body weight exercises. I've never gotten huge before but I assume if you bulked up too much it could mess with your swing.

As someone who tried it, I would say it is a comprehensive idiot-proof diet and exercise program and I'd recommend it to anyone looking to improve their overall fitness. If you're looking for a good bodybuilding program then this probably isn't for you. If you did P90X for a full year you'd end up with big lats (lots of pull ups) and a shredded core, but the program relies exclusively on push ups for your chest and that's great for endurance but it isn't a great exercise to put on size. Basically this program leaves a couple body parts behind in the grand scheme of things, in my opinion.
ORAggieFan
Do yo care about overall fitness or just golf? If just golf I'd go with a golf specific program.

May want to look at Swingman Golf. $50 for a plan just to increase swing speed. 10 mph increase in first month. Four days a week for about 15 minutes. Works well for all ages. Won't make you ripped or I better health but will help drive the ball further.
robdobyns
AG
Joey D is a good start. Good for increased flexibity.
If you can find a trainer in your area that has a degree in biomechanics, get with him. Doesn't matter if he plays golf.
I live in Austin and started with my trainer 6 weeks ago. He has a degree in biomechanical engineering and mechanical engineering from tu. I am a 5 handicap and he has taught me more about the golf swing than the three top 100 teachers i have seen in the past.
As he puts it, " the body only moves in one correct way. Anything else loses distance or wrecks your back or left knee. "
He works out of Gym One in Austin.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
mt3950
AG
Low T Center
booradley
AG
thanks for the tips..

I ordered the swingman site access last night. anxiously waiting my log on...
ORAggieFan
Mine was confusing, but was in an email I got instantly.
Boy Named Sue
AG
I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on Swingman after you have tried it.
93MarineHorn
I don't know about P90x helping with the golf swing, but it sure helped my overall fitness and I would highly recommend it to anybody who is already in decent shape. It works your entire body, so it's going to get your weak spots, which most people ignore doing their own thing at a gym. Like Bagger said, it is a HUGE time commitment but is extremely effective in a short period of time.
booradley
AG
quick update:

I purchased access to the swingman site. ($50)
best money I've ever spent. great tip and thank you...

while the concept is simple, the results are remarkable.

my swing speed is up around 5 mph in just a couple of weeks, and I'm confident it will continue to go up.

highly recommend it if you want more distance or like me - you just want to get a little back....
bagger05
AG
Boo, what is it?

Looking at his website it comes across like one of those bogus "Golf Instructors Hate Him... This one weird trick will add 30 yards to your drive!" ads.

Strength program? Technique?

What did it do to your accuracy? Any negatives?
booradley
AG
no technique...

its basic premise is that we get slow because we don't focus on practicing fast.
or we get slow because we don't focus on speed.

so it gives you some exercises (like push ups and resistance bands) and encourages you to swing a lot with a practice aid.
like a swing fan, or a swoosh, or a heavy club....

so im swinging a heavy club every day and measuring my speed on a radar...

my swing speed is increasing.... but the radar measures tempo as well so I'm practicing with that as well.

the combination has been good so far. I'm hitting the ball further...
ORAggieFan
Warning on swingmangolf, they auto subscribe you to $49.99 newsletter charged monthly after 14 day "free" trial. I'm workimg to get it cancelled and pretty pissed at this BS technique.
DannyDuberstein
AG
That's how all "free trials" on the internet work, no?
ORAggieFan
You pay $49.95 for the site. I was fine with that part.

Then you are signed up for a newsletter. It's not clear at all as i read it multiple times. The newsletter is $49.99/month.

They replied to my email saying they have refunded the money, but I haven't verified yet.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Gotcha. yeah, sounds like BS
booradley
AG
they charged me the monthly. I sent them an email and they refunded it.

took maybe 5 minutes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.