High end Houston public course rec needed

2,096 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by 1208HawkTree
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife's uncle will be in town after the first and he wants to play a round or two. He's the fun uncle who saves me from the family by getting me out of the house when we visit San Diego.

We typically shoot clays when we aren't playing either his home course or Torey Pines. We will probably play twice, where should we go? I don't have a membership so it will be a public track.

I'm thinking Redstone or whatever it's called now and one other.

Blackhorse, Wildcat, Cypresswood Traditions, Eagle Point? Thoughts? Remember, it will be the first week of January, so places like Moody Gardens (brutal when cold) are out.
tommeehawk7
Add River Ridge to your list , great tract
Aggie1391
Wouldn't recommend Redstone right now. It's probably over seeded and extremely slow.

I would, however, consider playing Woodforrest and High Meadow Ranch
AgLA06
AG
quote:

I almost did, but I haven't played there myself. I checked their website and it was so inept I gave up.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
quote:

I almost did, but I haven't played there myself. I checked their website and it was so inept I gave up.

It's always nice.

FWIW I've never been impressed with Blackhorse.

AgLA06
AG
quote:

FWIW I've never been impressed with Blackhorse.

Agree, they've had issues ever since they blew their water budget during the drought. I do like the marsh aspect of the south course. However, compared to most on the list, it is relatively close to town.
Ag_07
AG
See if you can get on at Memorial Park.

I know somehow there is a way to purchase advance tee times without getting into the lottery. You have pay a bit more but I'd call the pro shop.
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
River Ridge

A bit of a hike, but always in great condition, beautiful area, and away from the "noise" of the city. Blackhorse is decent, but I'd pick River Ridge any day of the week over it. Plus 290 is a mess right now with all of the closures.
nickel
Is there a preferred side of town, or doesn't matter?
AgLA06
AG
I'm fairly centrally located, but it needs to be within 45 minutes from downtown. Eagle Point and River Ridge are pushing it.
1208HawkTree
AG
Meadowbrook Farms
Cypresswood Traditions
Augusta Pines
Cypress Lakes
Blackhorse (play the north course)
Memorial Park
Wilderness (about an hour away, but worth it)
Woodforest

AgLA06
AG
I've played these courses and would personally rank them as below.

Cypresswood Traditions

Wilderness
Memorial Park
Cypress Lakes
Meadowbrook Farms

Tell me more about these.

Augusta Pines
Woodforest
USGA77
AG
+1 for Woodforest. Golf course is almost always in great condition. Fast greens, tree-lined course with 27 holes, fair test of golf. Good pace of play. Excellent range. They recently built a new clubhouse that is very nice. Overall it's a top-notch golf experience in the Houston area.
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
quote:
Just curious, why the north course?

To me it has always seemed like the easier of the two and the least picturesque one...but maybe that is just because I have played it probably 3x as much as the south.

Both are solid though and there's no right or wrong obviously.
proudaggie02
AG
In no way would I consider River Ridge a high-end course. It's in a relaxing setting in the country, but it was in bad shape the last 2-3 times I've played it (it's been 2-3 years though).
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
quote:
In no way would I consider River Ridge a high-end course. It's in a relaxing setting in the country, but it was in bad shape the last 2-3 times I've played it (it's been 2-3 years though).
Wonder if it could have been a result of the drought? Played sev times this summer and last as well as last February and was in great shape every time. I was actually very impressed with its condition last February.

I will admit though, even if it was in average to below average shape, I'd prob put it in the mix every now and then just due to the relaxing country setting and layout.
jonj101
The two that you asked about - Woodforest at Fish Creek and Augusta Pines, are the ones that I would vote for.

Woodforest has the fastest greens I have ever played on a public course, and has three nines that were in great condition last time I was out there (about 3 months ago). Its a little bit of a hike towards Montgomery, but worth the drive imo.

Augusta Pines I havenet played in over a year, but I recall that it was a great setting, and lived up to its label as a former Champions tour stop. When you first pull up you see the nice size club house, then you tee off into what I consider to be a nice parkland style course.

I also like the Wilderness in Lake Jackson, but that is pushing it distance wise for you.
AgLA06
AG
I like the Wilderness in Lake Jackson and I play it when we're at Surfside. However I never play well there. It seems like is a clay base or something because I can never take a divot. Its like playing on hardpan.
tommeehawk7
Sharpstown is a great muni
1208HawkTree
AG
quote:
quote:
Just curious, why the north course?

To me it has always seemed like the easier of the two and the least picturesque one...but maybe that is just because I have played it probably 3x as much as the south.

Both are solid though and there's no right or wrong obviously.

Better course of the two,IMO. I played the South Course two or three times before I did the North, and loved it. Then I played the North Course and prefer it hands down over the South. The front 9 on the North is one of the best loops in town. The South gets all of the publicity based on two or three holes, but the rest of it is not nearly as good as the other course as a whole.
1208HawkTree
AG
quote:

Tell me more about these.

Augusta Pines
Woodforest

HouAggie, another friend of mine and I played Augusta Pines today and it was in good shape. They've built a lot more homes around the course since I last played it a couple years ago, but it doesn't really come into play - actually opens up the corner on 2 to cut off some of the dogleg if you want to aim over a couple of million dollar homes (the house to the right of 2 green and 3 tee is just ridiculous, BTW). Virtually had the place to ourselves on a picture perfect day.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.