Club heads flying off. Not sure why?

908 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by jj9000
Maroonedinaustin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So yesterday while playing I put what felt like a very pure swing on the ball. I was swinging my 7 iron. The end result was ending up in the frontside bunker from about 170 yards out. I did NOT hit it fat so there was no chance I hit the hozel.

I'm hitting Cleveland CG7 irons that have been in my bag for about two years and/or ~100 rounds. Bought them new. I have a relatively high swing speed. My driver swing speed is usually between 109-112 so I'm guessing the irons should be slightly slower. I'm guessing in the 105 range. Is it possible the shafts are just wearing out? The shafts are your typical steel shaft (stiff).

I've done this so far (in the last three months) with my 4,5,6, and 7 iron. Every time its happened I've hit the ball in the sweet spot. I have no idea why this keeps happening. Any ideas?
jj9000
AG
Do you keep your clubs in the trunk of your car?

Sounds like weak epoxy.

Also, you likely swing that 7 iron in the low 90s.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
I keep them on the back of my cart in my garage. I thought about it being the epoxy, which it still might be, but the end the shaft is jagged and not smooth so the clubhead is not just flying off. Plus the hozzel is still connected to the shaft.
jj9000
AG
If they are breaking off at the shaft above the hosel take a look inside the shaft to see if you can spot rust.

Also, what kind of shafts are they?

If they are stock shafts you can likely get a set of pulls for $50...get some epoxy and ferrules from golfworks.com for $20...and install the shafts yourself.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
They are breaking below the hozzel (clubhead side). The shafts are stock, but I wouldn't think that shouldn't negatively affect the quality since these are higher end clubs. It's not like they are from Wally World.
jj9000
AG
I'm with you. Not suggesting they aren't premium shafts...just suggesting a fix for you.

If the steel is exposed to moisture, over time the inside of the steel will rust.

However, since they are breaking inside the hosel, my bet is that the epoxy has gone bad. Then, when the clubheads become a bit loose they're weakening the shaft with each pounding into the ground.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.