Gonna bite the Golftec bullet

5,565 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by CapCity12thMan
WHOOP!'91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Its a little pricey, but I am going to get a Golftec lesson pack for Christmas. I have been a pretty good boy this year, so I am treating myself.

I think the extra data and video will be helpful to me in adjusting my swing. I am very inconsistent and don't get much distance, so I am hoping they can adjust what I am doing to help. I have been playing about a year, took a couple of 30-minute lessons from a course pro and finally broke 100 a couple of times, but am now regressing and need something to get me going the right way again.
jagged
AG
Nice. I'd be interested to know how you like it and what improvements you make. My dad is a golftec instructor in DFW. Good luck!
maplunkett
AG
Ive been doing GolfTec for over 2 years now and have seen significant improvements in my golf swing. I went from an akward, you-could-tell-ive-never-played-in-a-swinging-the-stick-sport golf swing to an athletic consistent swing. And it also makes you go and hit balls at least once a week (if you do the one where you go every week or so). You can't get consistent without practice and you can be consistently good without practice and coaching. Not a scratch golfer by any shot but my ability to hit the fairway when driving and getting a GIR or just missing the green has gone up significantly. The pars come more often and my birdie chances are actual birdie chances. Don't know where you are located, but if in Houston, Darren Smith at the GolfTec in the Galleria area is very nice and easy to work with as a coach.
WHOOP!'91
AG
I am in Houston but live down south and will hit the Baybrook location.

Glad to hear your results are good, but I don't imagine I could justify the kind of expenditure two years' worth of Golftec would incur. Their 52-week plan is like $3K in the information they just provided.
maplunkett
AG
Every year they do a sale and they have it half off...forget when they do it but its usually around feb or march
Cen-Tex
AG
Contact your local Golftec center. They have a Xmas Package deal in the works now.
WHOOP!'91
AG
Half off all lesson packages, or just their game plan packages that include months of practice sessions?
Whoop04
I have had lessons from 5 or 6 different instructors. The golftec guys were among the better ones. It probably depends on who you get though. Mine felt like a pretty normal lesson, there was just a couple extra data points due to the harness etc.
WHOOP!'91
AG
My expectation is that they can tell me how my club face is positioned when I hit the ball and how to get it to where it need to be instead. I have a swingbyte, but the data is questionable because the sensor moves even if it was proprely aligned in the first place. I am hoping they will have similar data and able to interpret it as well.
Mr.Bond
AG
I'm going to look into the one in clear lake.
WHOOP!'91
AG
Clear Lake, Baybrook, Webster...all the same store. That's where I will be doing work as well.

Looking for huge improvements, so I hope I am not setting myself up for disappointment.
bagger05
AG
quote:
Clear Lake, Baybrook, Webster...all the same store. That's where I will be doing work as well.

Looking for huge improvements, so I hope I am not setting myself up for disappointment.
I'd say go in with a clear definition of what "huge improvements" are. Talk to your instructor about where you are and set some goals.
WHOOP!'91
AG
I want to go from being lucky to break 100 to the favorite to win the most money on the tour next year. Think I am being overly optimistic?

Nah, but really, to me "huge improvement" would be hitting the ball as far as I should with some semblance of accuracy. RIght now, I hit every club about 70% as far as I should with my swing speed and I feel sure its something in my mechanics and/or setup. Swingbyte says my driver is between 95 and 100 MPH, but I am lucky to get 200 yards out of it, for example.
Mr.Bond
AG
quote:

I understand that's what I meant. My golf instructor works at Walden on LC. Since I moved to league city I've been looking for someone closer
WHOOP!'91
AG
I am at Scarsdale and 45S....we need to hit 'em some time. After the lessons, of course.
Mr.Bond
Ag_07
AG
So what's the difference between a lesson package and a game plan?

The website doesn't give too much detail on the lesson packages.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
I am not a fan of GolfTec as they try to mold you into what the average specs for a PGA Tour golfer are, hip turn, angle of attack, takeaway, etc.

If Jim Furyk went in there they would try and fix his swing. Not everyone need there swing fixed, as long as you get to a good impact position you are fine, there are many things in ones swing which could hamper them from doing that, but to try and get everything as close to a PGA average is just dumb.

Go to a country club or course and get some lesson on the range.

End of my rant.
Mr.Bond
AG
Got a deal for you guys.

http://texags.com/forums/60/topics/2577310/replies/41664891
Mr.Bond
AG
Got a walk through appointment Monday. Seems awfully expensive. I used to get hour long lessons from an excellent pro for $60 an hour (and he had all the technology stuff too) when I heard him say $45-$75 I thought oh that's not too bad..... Until he told me it was ONE HALF hour
WHOOP!'91
AG
Indeed, that's why is said I was going to bite the bullet. An hour with the pro at Battleground is $75, but he doesn't have the data tools. The Christmas deal - $300 for 1 hour swing analysis, 3 half-hour lessons and 3 video lessons - seems only kinda pricey as opposed to the 5 lesson package for $400 - $80 per half hour! - is too rich for my blood.

I will see if they go on half price like another poster mentioned.
proudaggie02
AG
Those rates seem cheap. The guy I'm considering is $175/hour, but he's considered the best in Denver.
Mr.Bond
AG
quote:
Those rates seem cheap. The guy I'm considering is $175/hour, but he's considered the best in Denver.

Jesus Christmas that ridiculous. I've gotten lessons from guys who teach pros for half that price
WHOOP!'91
AG
$175/hr? Do you get legal consultation during the lesson?
bagger05
AG
quote:
Who is it?
stick93
AG
quote:
$175/hr? Do you get legal consultation during the lesson?

Not sure about legal consultation part, but at that rate it sounds like it's done in a bay at Top Golf.
Joe Nobody
$175/hour? Please. What is your handicap? Have you recorded a video of your swing? Do so and post it on here. I will give you my ideas for free. It is not that difficult.
proudaggie02
AG
quote:
$175/hour? Please. What is your handicap? Have you recorded a video of your swing? Do so and post it on here. I will give you my ideas for free. It is not that difficult.
My handicap is +1. I could probably take a couple shots off if I practiced my short game for 1-2 hours/week. This past year, I was lucky to hit 30-40 balls/week (usually before I played) and work on my short game for 15-30 minutes/week.

The main reason I want a few lessons is to fix my "reverse C' impact position because it puts pressure on my lower back (I crushed 2 vertebrae in my back 17 years ago... L3 and L4, I believe). I also want to clean up my posture, grip, and a couple other things.

I was wrong: Trent is $170/hour:
http://trentwearner.uschedule.com/Level2/PrivateGolfLessons/Adults/TrentWearnerAdultProgramsPricingandInfo.aspx
bagger05
AG
quote:
quote:
My handicap is +1.

So, Joe Nobody... what's YOUR handicap?
bagger05
AG
Random note:

The guy I use (Carlos Brown at Waterview in Rowlett) was just named one of Golf Digest's Best Young Teachers in America. He is very good.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2014-11/best-young-teachers-in-america
sangredevino
I think folks want to see this +1 handicap, 320 yd driving swing.....
Joe Nobody
ProudAggie - does the instructor know you are wanting lessons to take pressure off your lower back? The Moe Norman swing will do that for you. It is not a pretty swing but it works.

Bagger - I am in my mid 50s and can still break 80 occasionally. I used to be better.

Sooner Born
I'll vouch for Proud. I've seen him shoot in the 60's on multiple occasions. His swing is unorthodox but he has every shot in the book. He also competed in long distance events...not just entered but finished near the top.
WHOOP!'91
AG
I sometimes shoot in the low 60s but then I usually do a little better on the back 9.
bagger05
AG
quote:
I sometimes shoot in the low 60s but then I usually do a little better on the back 9.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.