Cheating

3,196 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Pure Unadulterated Evil
Pure Unadulterated Evil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How do you all handle the guy in your group who consistently cheats?

- misses a stroke when he gives his score on a hole
- finds his ball is in bounds when it is clearly out of bounds
- gives himself a gimme when it is not a clear gimme
- putts the ball when someone has given him his put and he misses but then does not count his stroke
- grounds his club in a hazard
- hits a ball into a water hazard and then drops at a spot far from the line of flight that is much improved over where he should have dropped

We play for very little $$, so money is really not the issue and other than consistently having to correct him, he is a really nice guy.
Coppell97
AG
Simple - don't play with him anymore
leachfan
We have that guy in our group. I just quit gambling with him and it doesn't bother me. I'll make 3-4 bets sometimes as long as he's not involved.
TexAgs Legend
Have you tried ****ing his wife? That'll learn him to cheat at golf
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
I would just pass on gambling with him.
ORAggieFan
I usually put in a smart ass comment then let it go. Next time I'm sure to be specific on rules. Lost a home a few weeks ago when someone took a mulligan and wasn't too happy. Next time will be sure mulligans forfeit hole.
1208HawkTree
AG
If you're given a putt by an opponent, then miss it, it doesn't matter because the ball is considered holed.

Apart from that, if this is a real person, I'd find someone else to fill this tool's spot.
antman8504
AG
if you are playing for any amount of money you have the right to ask him to play by the rules and count all of his strokes correctly, just set expectations before the round
bagger05
AG
quote:
If you're given a putt by an opponent, then miss it, it doesn't matter because the ball is considered holed.

Correct assuming you're playing as singles. You can't take back a concession.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
My big issue with what the OP said.
AgPrognosticator
AG
quote:
if you are playing for any amount of money you have the right to ask him to play by the rules and count all of his strokes correctly, just set expectations before the round
When I set foot on a golf course the expectations are that I'm playing golf. I shouldn't have to tell anyone in my group to "play by the rules". Just sayin'...

I do have to admit though, I play with a habitual cheater pretty regularly and I get a lot of satisfaction out of letting him skim strokes off the top and still beating him. At the end of the day they know they cheated -- and got beat.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
Every time he skims a stroke, go ahead do the same for you. See how quick he calls you out.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Ask him to stop?
tommeehawk7
PUE , where did you meet this guy?
Cooter00
quote:
I usually put in a smart ass comment then let it go. Next time I'm sure to be specific on rules. Lost a home a few weeks ago when someone took a mulligan and wasn't too happy. Next time will be sure mulligans forfeit hole.
Yikes, I would be pissed if I lost a home. Big balla betting for houses!
MAROON
AG
quote:
- putts the ball when someone has given him his put and he misses but then does not count his stroke
that is called "practice" and is not cheating in my book.
Chipotlemonger
AG
It shouldn't be cheating in anyone's book.
cevans_40
AG
quote:
Good lord. That's a serious game
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
quote:
quote:
Good lord. That's a serious game
lolpoors. Go big or go home.
bagger05
AG
quote:
quote:
that is called "practice" and is not cheating in my book.
It's not cheating in the USGA's book either, assuming you are playing singles.
93MarineHorn
I don't care if I'm playing $1 a hole or $20 a hole or just bragging rights. If I'm competing then I don't let anyone get away with cheating. I'm fairly lenient on where to take a drop, but I definitely count every stroke that I and my competitor make.
bagger05
AG
Seems that if you're competing at all, regardless of whether it's for money or not, then the expectation should be that you play by the rules. Any exceptions, local rules, etc. should be discussed in advance. Other than that just play by the rules.
oldschool87
AG
Simple you keep score and you write down his score. Also keep his stated score. At the end of the round, you tell him what he shot and what he said he shot just in case he wanted to know... Zero tolerance.
TheGreatScott12
AG
OP not to be rude, but the simple answer from a fellow aggie is to sac up. If he's a nice guy then he can be told that he is not playing by the rules and should be okay with it. If hes not okay with it I wouldn't want to play with him anyways.
fordag4
AG
I had an old friend who did stuff like what the OP described. Guy was high 60's to low 70's golfer. Hell, this guy never shot over 75 anywhere. Well, after playing with him multiple times I realized why. Always gave himself short putts, took a mulligan or 2 in the round, would write down a 5 on a par 4 when he really made 6 or 7's. He recently joined the same country club as me and still supposedly shoots around par, thing is he wont dare play in any money games out there.
Pure Unadulterated Evil
I inherited this guy when I joined a new group a few years back. Everyone in the group complains but does not do a thing. It has grown to be a part of the game. We do not play for much, just a few bucks. The funny part is that he is a really nice guy off of the course.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.