Great Military base golf courses

2,067 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Pure Unadulterated Evil
tommeehawk7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In honor of Veteran's Day , God bless our veterans !

What military base course have you guys played that you really liked.

I have had the privilege of playing Fort Sam , Lackland , Kelly and Randolph in San Antonio , and I really liked them all.

Randolph was not the prettiest , but good long par 3's. Love the others as well.

Bergstrom in Austin is no longer there , but it was a fun tract back in the day. My uncle was retired Air Force and I have great memories of teeing it up with him.

The green fees and beer were really cheap even for civilians.
ORAggieFan
I've only played one. MCAS Mirimar. Supposedly one of the nicer courses. I liked it. Great greens.
dbtexasag05
Air Force Academy.

36 holes and two totally different styles.

I grew up playing Underwood GC in El Paso and when they put in the new course in the late 90s it was even better.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
I really liked Kelly AFB. Obviously it closed down a while back. Side of the ladies tee box, #13 if I remember right, was one of the old radioactive burial sites, had a concrete marker there. Always laughed about that. Lackland is still a pretty nice course for a military base. Haven't played in a while. Randolph is neat when they are running the trainers all over the place.

Thanks Military, I really appreciate all you do.
bagger05
AG
The AF Academy courses are nice. I've played both of them and they present completely different challenges. Unfortunately the Blue Course was not in very good condition when I played it. Too bad because I've heard several people tell me it's one of their favorite courses (overall, not just military).

I remember liking Marshallia Ranch Golf Course at Vandenberg AFB in California. I wasn't really into playing golf back then and I only played it a few times, but I remember it being nice. Kinda tree lined on many of the holes and if you went into the trees then you were in the ice plant. Which means your ball is gone forever. Lots of deer out there and they are not impressed with or startled by much.

FE Warren AFB golf course in Cheyenne, Wyoming is probably exactly what you would imagine a golf course in Cheyenne, Wyoming to be like except there are more antelope. Imagine twice the amount of antelope you would consider to be "a lot of antelope even for Wyoming" and then double it. If you're following along you now have imagined about one-third of the antelope that are actually on the course. Very windy and lots of antelope.
1208HawkTree
AG
I've only played the Navy Course in Seal Beach, CA. It was in a scramble, and I always have a hard time really remembering much about a new course when I play those because of the complete lack of strategy - driver on every non-par-4, going after every flag, not having to play my own ball necessarily, etc. That said, it was "OK" from what I remember. Nothing spectacular, but wasn't terrible.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
RanchFE Warren AFB golf course in Cheyenne, Wyoming is probably exactly what you would imagine a golf course in Cheyenne, Wyoming to be like except there are more antelope. Imagine twice the amount of antelope you would consider to be "a lot of antelope even for Wyoming" and then double it. If you're following along you now have imagined about one-third of the antelope that are actually on the course. Very windy and lots of antelope.
AG
quote:
FE Warren AFB golf course in Cheyenne, Wyoming is probably exactly what you would imagine a golf course in Cheyenne, Wyoming to be like except there are more antelope. Imagine twice the amount of antelope you would consider to be "a lot of antelope even for Wyoming" and then double it. If you're following along you now have imagined about one-third of the antelope that are actually on the course. Very windy and lots of antelope.

TLDR, being in Wyoming is there any wildlife on the course?
Whoop04
quote:
I've only played one. MCAS Mirimar. Supposedly one of the nicer courses. I liked it. Great greens.

I was stationed at miramar. It's an average military base course. Nothing special. The course on NAS North Island is much better. The front 9 are about as boring as any, but there are about 4 holes on the back 9 that over look point Loma and are great. The Admiral Baker courses, especially the new course is very nice and challenging for a military course. I am stationed in Corpus Christi now and play the course quite a bit. It's nothing special, but the wind can kick up can be a challenge.
The best military course I have played though is in Okinawa Japan. It's a recent redesign of a course Lee Trevino played as a Marine stationed there. It's actually the toughest course outside of Torrey Pines South that I have played. There is no rough that isn't OB and swallows golf balls. Some interesting holes too. I recommend it if you happen to be in the neighborhood. http://www.mccsokinawa.com/golf/
harge57
AG
quote:
quote:
RanchFE Warren AFB golf course in Cheyenne, Wyoming is probably exactly what you would imagine a golf course in Cheyenne, Wyoming to be like except there are more antelope. Imagine twice the amount of antelope you would consider to be "a lot of antelope even for Wyoming" and then double it. If you're following along you now have imagined about one-third of the antelope that are actually on the course. Very windy and lots of antelope.

CapCityAg89
AG
Chema Bend at Ft Wainwright in Fairbanks. The last time I played there they warned us to not look for balls off one of the fairways because a dead moose had been reported. Fantastic golf though.
KatyAg01
AG
Sea-n-Air on Coronado Island was pretty cool, and I really enjoyed Admiral Baker North Course (both in San Diego).

BEaggie08
AG
I've played the Air Force Academy courses a few times. Taking into consideration the view, I think it is spectacular.

I've also played the courses below:
  • Peterson AFB - Not bad
  • Mesquite Grove (Dyess AFB) - flat, lots of Mesquite trees - meh
  • Lackland - best of the San Antonio military courses IMO
  • Kelly - sad to hear it has closed, but it was never maintained as well as Lackland
  • Randolph
  • Ft Sam (both courses)
  • Keesler AFB
AG
Crap, totally forgot about Fort Sam. Pretty good tracks and even non military can get on those.

You are right, back in the day, Lackland always got more attention than Kelly.
93MarineHorn
Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, CA has a pretty good course that I played many times while stationed there in the 80's. I played the Subic Bay, Phillipines course a few times as well and it was great.
ORAggieFan
quote:
quote:

I was stationed at miramar. It's an average military base course. Nothing special. The course on NAS North Island is much better. The front 9 are about as boring as any, but there are about 4 holes on the back 9 that over look point Loma and are great. The Admiral Baker courses, especially the new course is very nice and challenging for a military course. I am stationed in Corpus Christi now and play the course quite a bit. It's nothing special, but the wind can kick up can be a challenge.
The best military course I have played though is in Okinawa Japan. It's a recent redesign of a course Lee Trevino played as a Marine stationed there. It's actually the toughest course outside of Torrey Pines South that I have played. There is no rough that isn't OB and swallows golf balls. Some interesting holes too. I recommend it if you happen to be in the neighborhood. http://www.mccsokinawa.com/golf/

Interesting. Most of the locals I talk with say Miramar is the best of the local ones. Need to try Admiral Baker one of these days.
Whoop04
quote:

Interesting. Most of the locals I talk with say Miramar is the best of the local ones. Need to try Admiral Baker one of these days.

Play the north course at admiral baker. It's a very well put together course. Just challenging enough to keep the terrible golfers contained on the south course, which plays more like a muni, though well maintained.
Pahdz
Fort Sill, OK is pretty decent, way better than what I expected
Pure Unadulterated Evil
Ramstein AF golf course was pretty good and my favorite. Also the courses at Clear Creek at Fort Hood are not too bad.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.