whats your favorite course in Texas?

7,897 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by att hello
booradley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
not the best... not the most prestigious...

but I you have one more day to live on this planet and only get to play one more round of golf in the great state of Texas...

where would you play?

my vote is the tournament course at the woodlands... the old TPC woodlands course.

I've played all the greats, and all the ranked, and all the privates...

but that's my favorite in Texas...

whats yours?
Ag_07
AG
Not around anymore but Waterwood National was awesome in it's prime.

Used to live heading out there for high school regional tournaments.

Just for relaxin round of golf and surroundings I'd go Stephen F Austin.
agfan2013
AG
Probably going to go with Wolfdancer. I really like secluded courses that are more built around woods and stuff than your typical course built around a neighborhood or in a city. Great layout and almost always in good condition. I only play when there's a special (one running right now actually through golf now) and you can get out there for like $45-50.

Also really enjoyed TPC San antonio, but that's around $200 a round and I've only been out there once.
HouAggie
AG
Probably Boot Ranch.

Nice course, nice scenery, and I have some fond memories there. Not memories of great golf, just great times.

If I had one more round to play, I think that would be it.
tommeehawk7
Panorama Village . Just because I played there every year at easter when I was a kid. And I love the pine trees.
gravy97
AG
Webb Hill CC b/c I played about a bazillion rounds there as a kid.

but I also love the original course at Squaw Valley.
AgDotCom
Club at Concan.

The setting, situs and layout of the course itself and all the other things in the area that surround it...Frio River, etc.

92TXAG
AG
Hmmmm; proverbial last supper & last round of golf...of those I've played, would have to be:

either Boot Ranch or Dallas National; two very similar experiences
chad1992
AG
Brack in San Antonio bc I played with my grandfather a lot as a teenager

Chipotlemonger
AG
Great question.

I think I might choose Plum Creek out of Kyle, TX. Have played more rounds there with my brother and dad than probably anywhere else.

Close 2nd is Grey Rock...same reasons. Really it's 1A and 1B.
Aggie1391
It's not a course anymore, but Old Orchard. Grew up 2 minutes away from it and my dad would always take me out there. I was really young, so I don't even remember any of the holes any more, but it was always a blast. Plus, it was my first time almost having a hole in one.
Cen-Tex
AG
Ditto on The Club at Concan. also like The Republic in San Antonio
agsalaska
AG
quote:
It's not a course anymore, but Old Orchard. Grew up 2 minutes away from it and my dad would always take me out there. I was really young, so I don't even remember any of the holes any more, but it was always a blast. Plus, it was my first time almost having a hole in one.

I have an Old Orchard flagship flag in my garage. One of my favorite places ever.
agsalaska
AG
quote:

I have an Old Orchard flagship flag in my garage. One of my favorite places ever.
agsalaska
AG
Mine would be a tossup between

Shady Oaks
Colonial
Sugar Tree
Ram Rock

I play all four a lot and really get excited about all of them.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Colonial? **** alaska.

If you need a 4th sometime.......
garym2001
AG
I don't really play in Dallas so my
List is very Houston focused:

Whispering Pines
River Oaks
Lochinvar
Waterwood was great in the mid 90's
Memorial Park- great layout but hate 5 hr golf
Unemployed
AG
Babe Zaharias in Port Arthur. It's a sh*t course but that's where I first learn how to play golf.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Toss-up between Boot Ranch and Mill Creek in Salado. Got to play Boot Ranch last year (won a weekend stay in a raffle) and that place is just first class all the way. As Hou mentioned above, nice layout, some great scenery.

I haven't played Mill Creek in over a decade. I've heard it's gone downhill recently, which would be a shame. We used to play in a scramble there every summer when I was in school and there are some great memories there of friends and family.
Icecream_Ag
S
before raven's nest opened I would play Waterwood National and Cape Royale while in college.

I still remember getting permission from the club pro to drive on the tee box on 4 IIRC so I could look down into the lake at the 8-10 foot gator that was chilling there.

Cape Royale is a fun little course, but you have to know where it is or you'll miss it. Not sure I could still get there anymore.
wad86
Sugar Tree
Mira Vista
or Starr Hollow (9 Hole)
MarkPro
I have played a lot of courses in Texas, and I've thought about my reply for a few days.

I'm gonna go with the Cypress Creek course at Champions in Houston.
stick93
AG
Cut my teeth: Brock Park. Tough to beat memories of kids squirrel hunting and peddling your own golf ball back to you on the course.

Current: Shadowglen in Manor. Good enough layout. Feels like you own your own golf course when you play.

Actual: Hot Springs CC. Oldest course in the state. Just love the joint.

Edit: Actual in-state would be Northwood Club. History, layout, and personal experience.
1208HawkTree
AG
Cordillera Ranch.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:

Actual: Hot Springs CC. Oldest course in the state. Just love the joint.

What state?
Kjodie
Pine Dunes
Newport Dunes (or Palmilla, whatever they call it now)
MAROON
AG
quote:
I have played a lot of courses in Texas, and I've thought about my reply for a few days.

I'm gonna go with the Cypress Creek course at Champions in Houston.
+1
turfaggie24
AG
Whispering Pines
Cordillera Ranch
Austin Country Club
Jeff Schmahl
Whispering Pines
Dallas National

Lot of other really good courses in Texas...but these two are in a league of their own in my opinion.

Put them both on your must play list.
flogmat
AG
quote:
Not around anymore but Waterwood National was awesome in it's prime.

Used to live heading out there for high school regional tournaments.

Just for relaxin round of golf and surroundings I'd go Stephen F Austin.

Definitely agree on Waterwood. It was always a course that was overlooked, but had one of the most unique designs out there. You got a little of everything: some links feel, some tree lined, water features, even a couple holes with sand waste areas that felt desert-like.

I really miss that place.
Jarvis Lemon
Love River Ridge in Brookshire/Sealy.
Pine Tree
AG
Austin Country Club
Ag pride
AG
Love pine dunes in frankston
aggiebrother33
Agree on Waterwood, hope it makes a comeback. But my current favorite is the Hills of Lakeway, signature. Such a great layout, tough and always in great shape.
watty
AG
I haven't played nearly as many courses as a lot of you, but I'd probably pick Newport dunes.i just love that place.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.