new clubs - golfsmith

2,101 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AgDotCom
rononeill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
i don't keep a real handicap but i count all my strokes and typicaly shoot mid/high eighties. i got a set of cobra 2300s 9 yrs ago and sometime over the last few rounds lost my 7 iron and have never regripped them. ive also got about $1000 burning a hole in my pocket. what better time to get new clubs?!

typically speaking, id much rather spend my money on playing than keeping up with the new technology; but since my mind has wandered to the "need some new clubs" territory, i figured id go test drive a few. the guy at golfsmith set me up with some AP1s, i25s, jpx850s, and taylormade something or others. after running through them all, it came down to the forged jpxs and the TMs, then finally the jpxs. so i asked him what the next step "up" was in the mizuno line and he showed me the H5s. when hit solidly, the H5s were like buttah... unfortunately, that was only on 50% of my swings, whereas the jpx's gave a great result, say, 85% of the time. i've got to believe i had the same mix of good and less than good swings when i was trying these out - it really drove home the benefit of a game improvement club. now i've just got to get my ego around buying a game improvement club. i does feel a little bit dirty that they deloft their stuff probably half a club or so, too...

does anyone have the mizunos - what do you think of them? or maybe suggest a similar style/caliber club?
WHOOP!'91
AG
If you're talking about $1000, I assume you're just talking 3 - PW, not driver, fairway woods, wedges and bag.

I guess it depends on how sensitive you are to the "game improvement" label. I swung lots and lots of clubs about 6 months ago and ended up with the Adams New Idea set. Full set, SW, bag, Yes putter, all graphite shafts new from eBay for $750 delivered.

But I am a relative beginner so I need the help.
rononeill
oh yea, just irons...
FatherGoose
AG
I went through basically the same scenario in the beginning of the spring. Same set of irons for 10+ years (Maxfli Revolution Black Dot) and went and hit so many different sets of clubs so many times at Golfsmith they finally stopped even helping me unless I asked. I ended up getting a mixed set of Titleist irons. 4-6 of the AP1s and 7-pw of the AP2s. I am really satisfied with setting it up that way so you might consider that. Presumably you hit your shorter irons pretty well and would benefit from some more feel and control and presumably you struggle on your longer irons and standing over very small, no offset mizunos on a bad day would seem like a totally impossible task. Just my 2cents.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
quote:
i don't keep a real handicap but i count all my strokes and typicaly shoot mid/high eighties. i got a set of cobra 2300s 9 yrs ago and sometime over the last few rounds lost my 7 iron and have never regripped them. ive also got about $1000 burning a hole in my pocket. what better time to get new clubs?!

typically speaking, id much rather spend my money on playing than keeping up with the new technology; but since my mind has wandered to the "need some new clubs" territory, i figured id go test drive a few. the guy at golfsmith set me up with some AP1s, i25s, jpx850s, and taylormade something or others. after running through them all, it came down to the forged jpxs and the TMs, then finally the jpxs. so i asked him what the next step "up" was in the mizuno line and he showed me the H5s. when hit solidly, the H5s were like buttah... unfortunately, that was only on 50% of my swings, whereas the jpx's gave a great result, say, 85% of the time. i've got to believe i had the same mix of good and less than good swings when i was trying these out - it really drove home the benefit of a game improvement club. now i've just got to get my ego around buying a game improvement club. i does feel a little bit dirty that they deloft their stuff probably half a club or so, too...

does anyone have the mizunos - what do you think of them? or maybe suggest a similar style/caliber club?

Where are you located?
rononeill
houston
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Did you get to hit this off grass outside or was it a indoor machine?
mt3950
AG
You will start shooting lower scores when you stop caring about your ego. I'm a 2-3 handicap (it fluctuates) and I play mizuno mp-h4's. They are about the same playability as the jpx's or the jpx pros. Just get what you hit the best. Trust me, when you beat your playing partners, they don't bust your balls about what clubs you're playing.
AgDotCom
Plenty of pros have an H4 long iron or two in their bags, including non-Mizuno staffers....unless they've moved to the latest iteration (H5).

If your miss on the long irons is thin consider getting a 3 or 4 iron....or both...in the H5, then combo out the rest of your set with the 850s if you like them as much as you do. I have a couple of H4s, they're very good clubs that get the ball up quickly and carry it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.