Topgolf

4,773 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Chipotlemonger
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I did a search and saw a couple of brief mentions, but not much discussion so sorry if this has been talked about before. We have one here in SA opening soon, will be pretty close to it. Appears they are promoting some "specials" as early sign up. Any comments, suggestions, advice, warnings?

I've seen them, but have yet to try one.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
Starting to get a bit expensive, if you go during the down times its fun, but not much for practice.
ORAggieFan
I found this interview with the Callaway CEO interesting. In talking about the future growth of the game he believes Top Golf is going to be the biggest thing to grow the game as they expand.
Matsui
AG
Top Golf is fun. Food is really good and the beer/booze flows. It is cool for a couple of hours. But you really don't go to practice golf, per se. Just about playing games.
AG
Was thinking it would be fun for a league or something similar where you go and hang out with buddies, definitely not something where I would be looking to hone in on a swing issue.

The softball league I'm in is dying a slow death, might need something to move on to soon.
tommeehawk7
Okay , so since I am a life long player I thought the concept was pretty hokey. But My wife bought me a gift certificate so we went. My son,daughter,wife,me,and two grandkids.

It was an absolute blast ! It does not replace real golf , not even close. But it is just so much fun to go do for a couple of hours with your buddies and/or family every now and then.
agfan2013
AG
Pretty much just echo what has been said above. It's really fun to play with friends and a great way to have some friendly competition but it's not gonna improve your golf game or be a good substitute for practice.

Only time I went we didn't have a wait but I've heard busy locations can have a 2 or 3 hour wait during peak times, which I wouldn't be ok with. Food and drinks are good, maybe slightly higher than usual but not obnoxiously so.

Definitely try it out.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It is an absolute blast. It has definitely gotten a lot more expense, but that is no surprise given the sustained demand I've seen there.
Cen-Tex
AG
Went first time last week in Dallas. Experience was so so. Hit off a mat. Spent a lot on food & drinks.
Dr T and the Women
AG
I think I am the only one who doesn't think it is all that great. I love golf. I love hanging with friends and enjoying a good drink. Yet I think TG is nothing special. I don't get the waiting hours to get a bay. give me a round of golf any day
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Take the wait out of it there and does that change your opinion? Try a weeknight.
bagger05
AG
Basically it is EXACTLY like going bowling but you're hitting a golf ball instead of rolling at pins.

100% serious. Not a crummy small town bowling alley that's smoky and grungy, but a nice bowling alley in a decent sized suburb or a city with some decent menu options and waitresses. Only difference is that instead of rolling a ball at pins you are trying to hit a golf ball into a target.
AggieT
AG
We'll go on Sunday mornings if our tee time gets rained out. Not a bad backup plan.
ORAggieFan
I look forward to their expansion. Wish they franchised.
stick93
AG
Count me in the don't care for it crowd. I'd rather play Golden Tee. Much cheaper non-alternative to the real thing.
Post removed:
by user
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
You guys understand that this is not marketed towards the serious golfer, right?

I don't think they do
stick93
AG
quote:
quote:
You guys understand that this is not marketed towards the serious golfer, right?

I don't think they do

I understand completely. That's why it doesn't appeal to me.
agfan2013
AG
quote:

Ill have "the poster doesnt read prior responses" for $400 Alex.

quote:
but not much for practice
quote:
But you really don't go to practice golf, per se. Just about playing games
quote:
definitely not something where I would be looking to hone in on a swing issue
quote:
it was an absolute blast ! It does not replace real golf , not even close
quote:
great way to have some friendly competition but it's not gonna improve your golf game or be a good substitute for practice
DannyDuberstein
AG
No, it's not like a round of golf.

No, it's not someplace you go to practice.

Yes, it's a great option when you don't have time for a 4 hour round, or want to play golf at night.

Yes, it's a great option when some of your group are ****ty golfers (or non-golfers). Less frustrating for them because even the ****tiest of golfers can knock the ball off the 2nd or 3rd level and manage to find some targets. Less frustrating/work for you because you aren't having to teach etiquette, worry about keeping pace, etc.

Yes, it's a great option when the weather sucks.

Yes, it's a great option vs. doing some other mundane activity.

Yes, there are lots of different options to incorporate into a game to make it more interesting, balance the competition between different levels of golfers, etc.

It's not the end all, be all, but if you can't manage to have a really good time there, you are going with the wrong people and/or mindset.
ORAggieFan
Can you practice at them at all? There are none near me yet, but looking at their website seems you can dial in exact distances in a practice mode. Seems better than a driving range. I'm trying to figure out how to practice exact distances, 50, 55, 60, etc and ranges sucks for this. Thinking of finding a football field.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
Rule number 1, never practice on mats!

I know the one in dallas does have a side range which you can hit off grass, but it is only for full time members.
DannyDuberstein
AG
You can. I just think it's a rather expensive way to practice. I'm also not a huge fan of practicing on mats, although in their defense, they at least have the best kind of mats and I've always found them to be in good condition.
Ag_07
AG
Also if you dialing in on distances it's not best to be hitting from a 2nd or 3rd tier bay.
DannyDuberstein
AG
If using a rangefinder at the range isn't effective enough, I've always found getting on a course during weekday twilight with a rangefinder always seemed to be the best practice for really dialing in distances.
AG
quote:
Can you practice at them at all? There are none near me yet, but looking at their website seems you can dial in exact distances in a practice mode. Seems better than a driving range. I'm trying to figure out how to practice exact distances, 50, 55, 60, etc and ranges sucks for this. Thinking of finding a football field.

Have you asked the wife or significant other if they would go stand out at 50 yards with a five gallon bucket?

Pitch in to bucket.

Profit.
oldschool87
AG
Top golf is a 1/2 a step from putt putt... Don't get me wrong I like it! But taking someone who has only played TG straight to a course, not going to end well...

Not so sure about that statement .
Tom Hagen
AG
A Top Golf will be opening soon at the MGM Grand.

http://vegas.eater.com/2014/11/24/7276253/exclusive-topgolf-to-bring-golf-food-to-mgm-grand
tommeehawk7
Here is what I like about Top Golf. My brother comes to Houston next week. He'll be here wednesday and thursday.We usually play 9 after work but it's dark now.So we'll head to Top Golf , drink a few brews and fire away at the targets.Grab a burger and call it a night.
Does it replace real golf , not even close.But every now and then it's just a whole lot of fun.
Chipotlemonger
AG
It also has heated bays during the cool months, and misters/fans during the dog days of summer. Great when you want to be with more than just a random playing partner but actual friends.
Mr.Bond
AG
I live in league city and we are next on the list. The land is cleared and was said to be completed by summer of 2015. I drove by the site today and it's literally still a grass field. Can they put these up in 7 months or is it behind schedule
Mr.Bond
AG
quote:
Rule number 1, never practice on mats!.
DannyDuberstein
AG
quote:
I live in league city and we are next on the list. The land is cleared and was said to be completed by summer of 2015. I drove by the site today and it's literally still a grass field. Can they put these up in 7 months or is it behind schedule

I work near the one they built off 121 in The Colony. It was a fairly long process; I'd guess ballpark of 7-9 months. So if it doesn't break ground soon, it probably would be more like Fall 2015.
Mr.Bond
AG
Thanks
DannyDuberstein
AG
It's also somewhat of an eyesore because the nets are so friggin tall. The one in Allen is somewhat concealed but you see The Colony from a ways now due to Top Golf. They had an issue during construction because an ice storm added weight to the nets and some of the poles broke at a joint partway up.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.