Weekend rage

4,070 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by oldschool87
Aggie1391
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So my and 3 buddies decided to go play a round yesterday afternoon (teed off around 3). The course was very backed up, so by the 4th hole, we knew we probably wouldn't finish. 2 of my friends are beginners, but we kept up with the group in front, so it wasn't a problem. When get to the 14th hole, which is a downwind par 5. I wait until the group in front has hit their seconds shots, and proceed to hit the best drive of the day. When I pull up, I see that my ball ended up where the group in front was hitting from (about 310) from the tee box. Granted, it was a bit downwind, but I rarely ever hit the ball that far. I go up to my ball and notice that it's been ran over by a cart. Fine, it was my fault anyways, I'll apologize when I reach them.

The group clears the green and is at their cart, and my friend hits his shots and puts it to 10 feet. One of the guys decides to start yelling at us and tells us "You're not that good". We proceed to say some words at him, and he tells us to come say them to his face (he's still 150 yards away).

We ignore him, hit our shots and go to the green to hit our putts, when he walks up and tells us "Which ever one of you hits into us next, I'll put you in the hospital". I say to him "Look, I don't expect to hit 300+ so my bad, but you didn't have to run the ball over either"

He tells me II'm lucky he didn't throw it in the water and if happens again, he's gonna fight 1 of us one-on-one (I had 3 guys with me all under 25 , he had a friend and their 2 wives all probably over 50).

My friend told him to go f*** off, and the dude decides to get in my friends face and start yelling at him calling him a B**** a** punk while pointing his driver at him front a few feet away. Then, he whips his driver upwards and came within 6 inches of hitting my friend in the face. At this point, All 4 of us, clubs in hand, start to walk over to the dude. His friend quickly realizes bad things are about to happen and pulls his friend away, who's still running his mouth.

I've heard about people getting in fights on the course, but never really been a part of one. Yea, my group probably could have ignored him/said sorry and moved on, but we were going to hold our ground when he started threatening us.

Sorry for the wall of text, rant over. F*** that guy.

Furlock Bones
AG
yep **** that guy.
Matsui
DannyDuberstein
AG
**** that guy right in the *****.
Bitter Old Man
AG
I bet that guy drives a Dodge Stratus....
agfan2013
AG
People in this world just like to be as*holes, I think they live just to get mad and yell at others.

Anyways, sounds like it worked out as well as can be considering it wouldn't look good if 4 college age guys beat the sh** out of some 50 year old. Of course Im of the belief that a person is never to old to get his ass kicked, especially if he can't back up whatever trouble he's starting.

At the end of the day it's just a game of golf, glad nobody's 7 iron picked up any blood or skin on it.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I like how he had to lay down some "one on one" ground rules.
tommeehawk7
Aggie1391 , wow , I didn't know that was you . I apologize. I was just having a bad day.
Aggie1391
quote:
Aggie1391 , wow , I didn't know that was you . I apologize. I was just having a bad day.
What course were you at?
bagger05
AG
Wow, what a bag of s##t.

I would've probably been too pissed to play it like this, but when he said he was going to fight one of you one-on-one, you should've literally laughed in his face and told him, "'I've got bad news for you, dude. If you even try lay hands on any one of us, all four of us are going to kick the ever-living s##t out of you."
bagger05
AG
quote:
quote:
What course were you at?
Not sure if you come around to this board very much, but tommee is a self-proclaimed crotchety old fart and is not the most popular guy on here (he is an all-around awful TexAgs poster and he is a sip). I think he is just trying a little self deprecation to improve his popularity (it must have worked a little... I gave his post a blue star).
Aggie1391
quote:
quote:
quote:
What course were you at?
Not sure if you come around to this board very much, but tommee is a self-proclaimed crotchety old fart and is not the most popular guy on here (he is an all-around awful TexAgs poster and he is a sip). I think he is just trying a little self deprecation to improve his popularity (it must have worked a little... I gave his post a blue star).

Oh, I know. I was just feeding the troll
Aggie1391
DP
Aggie1391
quote:
Wow, what a bag of s##t.

I would've probably been too pissed to play it like this, but when he said he was going to fight one of you one-on-one, you should've literally laughed in his face and told him, "'I've got bad news for you, dude. If you even try lay hands on any one of us, all four of us are going to kick the ever-living s##t out of you."

One of my friends started laughing when he said he would put us in the hospital and said "I'd like to see you try grandpa"
Bitter Old Man
AG
quote:
Then, he whips his driver upwards and came within 6 inches of hitting my friend in the face.

This is where he went from jackass to dumbass. That could be felony assault with a deadly weapon, not only that but if he catches the wrong hot-headed CHL holder, it could go from bad to worse quickly...
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
If anyone busts it over 300 yards into my group, I'm turning around and giving the guy a high five. Nothing wrong with that at all in my book.

Couple of weeks ago, the guys in front of us on the first hole took a while to clear the green, then go by their carts, stuffing crap in bags, usual slow nonsense. The course we were playing, the second tee box is real close to the first green and you couldn't really tell if they had moved up the 20 yards or if they parked their carts there in the first place near the second tee box like most people do. My buddy hits his hybrid right and a couple of us yell fore and then one of the guys stalks about 10 yards towards us and starts yelling.

We all then hit, my buddy drives up and the guy said we need to wait for them to clear the green. My buddy apologized, said we yelled fore, didn't know if they had moved forward and the guy proceeded to f-bomb him and just went off. Said the ball hit him in the nose. of course we never found the ball, the guy had to have put it in his pocket. I was walking so I missed all the fireworks. Needless to say they never let us play through.
ChoppinDs40
AG
playing through? just wait until the next par 3 and pass them hoping there's no one on the next tee box.

Also, for the guy that had a driver swung/thrown at him.

I'd have picked it up and broken it over my leg. What a jackwagon.

EMY92
AG
In the future, the wedge is the best weapon in a fight. The nice sharp edge will do some damage, much more so than a driver.
Bitter Old Man
AG
A belly putter is going to have more reach, with a heavier head.
DannyDuberstein
AG
My vote goes to wedge. The wedge delivers the most mass to someone's skull. The wedge's shorter shaft will also be more likely to withstand the stress of the club being cracked over someone's head, so that it remains intact to deliver subsequent blows.
boinger89
AG
Was playing in a tournament last week hitting our 2nd shot from 185 on a par 5, second to last hole. A ball comes flying in between our carts missing 2 of us by 5 feet. Pace of play was not an issue. We were pissed! One of our guys *****ed them out when they drove by after their last hole. It's different when you are on the receiving side.
DannyDuberstein
AG
One isolated incident is not worth losing your **** over. It happens and for a variety of innocent reasons - they jack one unusually far for their game, they aren't familiar with the course and misjudge your distance, etc. If you were 185 out on a par 5, then it sounds like you were right in that sweet spot where sometimes **** happens, like someone that usually doesn't hit the ball over 250-260 lays into one and goes north of 300. They should apologize and make sure there isn't a 2nd or 3rd, but outside of that, everyone needs to calm the **** down.
agfan2013
AG
quote:
One isolated incident is not worth losing your **** over. It happens and for a variety of innocent reasons - they jack one unusually far for their game, they aren't familiar with the course and misjudge your distance, etc. If you were 185 out on a par 5, then it sounds like you were right in that sweet spot where sometimes **** happens, like someone that usually doesn't hit the ball over 250-260 lays into one and goes north of 300. They should apologize and make sure there isn't a 2nd or 3rd, but outside of that, everyone needs to calm the **** down.
jonj101
quote:
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
John Maplethorpe
AG
The ball is just trickling at their feet by the time it gets all the way to 325. There was no danger, a-holes look for reasons to get pissed off.
agsalaska
AG
Its the same human reaction as road rage. Everyone has cut someone off in traffic, but for some reason some people cant handle it when it happens to them.

Its not worth it. FIrst, its a dangerous situation. That rage is real rage. Its not like a bar fight or something where there are a lot of people around to diffuse a situation and the most dangerous weapon is a glass bottle or a pool cue. A golf club is a deadly weapon if it needs to be. Im not sure what would be worse, a guy with a knife or a guy with a sand wedge.

Second, as said in a thread a couple of months ago, the days of fighting and getting away with it are over. If a guy verbally assaults you and you swing first, its assault. If you use a golf club, its felony assault. You can kiss your life goodbye. Its much better to swallow your pride a little and try to calm someone like that down. Nowadays I would do anything to avoid a physical confrontation like that. I would only swing if I absolutely had too. And at that point he better kill me because I am going to send him to prison after I sue his ass.

That all being said, it happened to me about four years ago at Rio Secco in Vegas. It was a slow hot afternoon. We were probably playing five hours which is slow but not completely unbearable. The group behind us were tourists and we had talked to them a couple of times. All of a sudden on 10 a ball flies by me. I dont think much of it as its probably their first time out there but I turned around and they knew they had done it. No big deal. Then it happens on 11. They then tee off on the par 3 12th and the ball is hitting the green as I step off of it. I put my hands out and stared back for a few seconds and made my point. On 13, when their drive flew over my head, I lost my ****. Its a layup par 3 and I was probably 190 yards away from the tee. I am normally a mild mannered guy but I lit into them. Something about wrapping this sand wedge in my hand around their necks and something about their wife and everything else. THey just stood there and took it. That was the last we saw of them.
El Mero Guero
What a d***! I'd be laughing about it and giving you probs for bombing it right down the pipe. I can't believe there are people out there that take petty stuff this seriously. Prob suffers from borderline personality disorder or something.
Chipotlemonger
AG
1st time It happens can be understandable. 2nd time I expect some kind of apology. (For a ball hitting uncomfortably near (as in right by) me)
Chipotlemonger
AG
El Guero we're probably discussing different things. I understand a golf ball rolling up CLOSE to me. I do not understand one landing NEXT to me, let alone flying over my *********head.
AgDotCom
If he's over 50, the culprit is likely "senior entitlement" in conjunction with general asshattery that affects all ages.

I'm over 50 and have taken notes. You'll never see me acting like that now, at 60, 70 or whatever.

It doesn't take much of a brain to realize if someone hit into you from that far, they felt like you were out of range when they hit it. I've had several people apologize to me for that and I told them there was no need to.

I've never been in so much as an argument at a golf course but I would have told that guy to shove it.
El Mero Guero
quote:
In the future, the wedge is the best weapon in a fight. The nice sharp edge will do some damage, much more so than a driver.

This.

This is the reason I keep my Leupold GX-3i range finder on my hip. Playing Hermann and a few other inner city Houston courses you never know when you're gonna have to try to blind some fools and then come correct with the 56 degree Cleveland after they try to hit a lick.
El Mero Guero
quote:
El Guero we're probably discussing different things. I understand a golf ball rolling up CLOSE to me. I do not understand one landing NEXT to me, let alone flying over my *********head.
Yeah, I would cringe if someone from my group hit into someone like that, so it's obviously a no-no. It's just not the end of the world. If it happens to me twice, I'll prob have some words with the guys behind me, like you said. I would start off friendly and judge whether it was intentional or not. If intentional, I may chew em out if I do anything, but I'd definitely be calling the pro shop.
harge57
AG
Had an old man freak out this summer.

Was playing with a guy I did not know and just paired up with. Course was playing at a normal 4 hour pace, but we were waiting on a group in front of us on nearly every hole. We pulled up to hole 9. It is a weird hole where you can't see the cart path going down the right side and there is a big sign saying park behind the green which is the only way someone can see your cart from the tee. 290-300 yd drive puts you about 60-80 yds out. We have waited a while and we see a cart pull up to the back of the green. The guy I am with tee's off. It is a little right going down the cart path. I then tee off into the fairway.

We drive to our balls in separate carts, so I am about 30 yds away. The old guy on the green starts yelling at us but its pretty inaudible and we just go on waiting for them to finish, so then he gets in his cart drives back and pulls up next to this guys ball and just starts off with "you M Fer better never hit into us again... blah blah blah". The guy I was with was just apologizing and saying he won't do it again, but I was having none of it. I made it very clear he needed to calm down and that the giant sign on the cartpath is there for a reason. If someone in your group is parked at the green then it is not smart to be hanging out in a blind spot from the tee.

The other 3 players he was playing with ended up driving off and leaving him a hole later. Not sure if he was still so grumpy they didn't want to play with him or if they were just embarrassed.
Goose
AG
quote:
...you never know when you're gonna have to try to blind some fools and then come correct with the 56 degree Cleveland after they try to hit a lick.

I'm pretty sure this was Hogan's 6th Lesson of Golf, real shame they left it out of the book...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.