San Antone golf

1,567 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by ChoppinDs40
ChoppinDs40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will be down there in 2 weeks. Looking at the quarry, Olympia hills or bracken ridge ?

anyone have info on the conditions of these 3?
Txroper
AG
I was told you could play La Cantera golf course for 70 bucks. Might want to check that out.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Both Brack and Olympia Hills are in real good condition, haven't played the Quarry in quit some time but since it isn't summer, you won't cook your brain on the back nine. What do you value in a round?

Silverhorn is a good bet also.
ChoppinDs40
AG
just want something for a good price with decent greens. Pace of play is always suspect on public courses.

I can't remember if any of those have bent grass or do courses in san antonio not have bent grass because of the summer heat?
ChoppinDs40
AG
quote:
I was told you could play La Cantera golf course for 70 bucks. Might want to check that out.
just checked. they have twilight for $85.. i need to play in the morning in order to have time to watch us get murder banged by auburn
AG
Too hot for bent grass.

Depends on how early you get out, but most of those tracks will likely play a little slower on Saturday, marshals in San Antonio apparently have no authority or interest unless it is fishing out pro-v X-outs from ponds.

All those will have pretty good greens, there is some transition grass going on for some of the courses right now, but shouldn't be bad for the round.
jonj101
I'd throw in The Republic for consideration as well.

I havent been down to SA in a bit, so I cant vouch for condition, but I enjoyed that one in addition to The Quarry, Brackenridge, etc.
jackson2031
Everything that the public can play has Bermuda greens in and around San Antonio. I think Olympia hills is the best public course in the area. Then Silverhorn, La Cantera, Brack, Quarry are all good. If you want to go a little further north, Vaaler Creek is awesome.
ChoppinDs40
AG
cedar creek? buddy of mine who used to live there said it was pretty nice
BEaggie08
AG
I played Cedar Creek last weekend. It's not bad, but not as nice as the last time a played it several years ago. I'm not a big fan of Brackenridge. I'm not sure why, I just don't care for it. The Quarry is okay, but the front and back are like two totally different courses. Silverhorn was pretty nice the last time I played it. TPC is really great if you want to drop a couple hundred bucks on a round. I don't think Olympia Hills is the best course in town, but it may be close to the best value.
AG
Cedar is in decent shape, but be prepared for 5 hours if you don't tee off in the first 3 tee times on a weekend.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
Cedar is in decent shape, but be prepared for 5 hours if you don't tee off in the first 3 tee times on a weekend.
That's true of almost any course on the weekend. I have yet to see a marshal tell someone to pick up the pace.

I played a threesome at Cedar on 10/19 and teed off at 1:06 pm (for half price). We were off the course at 4:35.
ChoppinDs40
AG
right. I played Gleneagles on Sunday as a twosome and it still took us 4 hours...

Can't believe they let a 5some on and weren't waving people around them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.