Help my swing

1,706 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by ChoppinDs40
BTMTAT
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know it is impossible to determine the cause, but any advice is appreciated.
I've played great golf this year, my all time lows. I took 6 weeks off or so when my daughter was born and had 3-4 shanks last week when getting back into things.
Today, literally every shot I hit was a screaming hook or fat. I made different adjustments, changed my grip, wider stance, changed my distance from the ball. Everything I did either made the hook worse or caused me to hit the ball fat. I have no idea what is going on.
Any generic recommendations?
bagger05
AG
Hard to say without looking at a video.
birdman
I had something similar. I wasn't turning hips on back swing at all. It screwed up the timing and everything else. Once I started making big turn, things improved instantly. Eliminated my shanks by 90%.
klockness
AG
Hitting it fat is bad timing/weight transfer normal after a break. I'd just go to the range a couple of times and focus on striking the ball. With all the stuff you're trying and the frustration I'm sure you're having you'll only make things worse. Don't swing hard just try to find your comfortable/thoughtless swing again, not a frustrated swing with a million swing thoughts. If that isn't working seek the help of a professional.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Could be swinging a little shallow?
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Hard to say without looking at a video.

And this

Edit: wrong face...
dcrewint
Check your posture. Stand tall.
gravy97
AG
Make sure your feet are below your ankles at impact... very common mistake
Unemployed
AG
YMMV...with that being said, I had the same problems and this is what I did to fix it.

1) Posture: Tilt forward from the hips and then bend your knees. Before, I didn't have much tilt from the hips and was bending over from the top of my body.

2) Reverse pivot: On backswing, I had my weight mostly on my front side. Correcting my posture helped with fixing this by making it easier to turn my hips and shoulders.

3) Laying off on top of my backswing: Instead of cocking my wrists like I was casting a fishing rod, I was doing it like I was revving a motorcycle (hope you can picture that).

But don't listen to me. Go get some lessons. I'm just a hack.
aggiebrother33
my 2 Cents....fat and left tells me you have stopped turning, the hands flip.

Go see a pro, $50 is a wise investment.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Hey RealTalk I've had number 2 and 3 of uour problems. (And they creep back into my swing at times)
TheGreatScott12
AG
Slow down your backswing, keep your weight distributed on your toes not your heels, make sure you're swinging with your body not just your arms, and don't try to go down and get the ball just let the swing/club hit it and lift it up.
ChoppinDs40
AG
I'm by no means very good but have had a good amount of lessons over the past year and i feel like i can diagnose my problems fairly well now. been playing for about 18 months and can break 90 on a good day.

I've found that pulling, especially fat pulls is a result of stopping the body on your down/follow through. When you get to impact, you stop and rake your hands across the ball.

But, golf is such a game of millimeters that it could be anything. I find I play my best golf when I'm relaxed and just swinging the club. It's when you over think grip, takeaway, position at the top, etc., that you screw with your tempo and body turn/follow-through.

Try the Gary Player approach of stepping through the swing. This will force you to follow through. there are tons of videos out there of his little baby step walk-through. I'm a broader chested guy so upper body flexibility is a problem with me. This swing thought of coming through the ball with my body has helped my pulls and slices.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.