What makes a good golf course?

1,802 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Chipotlemonger
stick93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The two other recent threads got me to thinking about why I like certain courses and others don't. I'd like to know what you guys think. I'm not asking for specific courses, but what appeals to you and your game. For the sake of argument, course conditions are perfect.(I suppose green speed is fair game)

My golf bio: Left Handed. I am a 9 handicap. I hit my driver 280 on a good day but usually 255-260. I'm pretty comfortable inside 150 but long irons should be used to stoke a fireplace. Slightly above average putter. I can work the ball both directions, but am much more comfortable right to left.

Here is what I like in a course:

1. I like to realize at the end of the round that I used 11 or 12 of my clubs(and I don't mind driver taken out of play on a few holes).

2. No more than 2 blind shots in a round. Ever. Big fan of terrain changes but it really slows down some courses.

3. At least one risk reward par 4 and a reachable par 5 or two.

4. I enjoy challenging greens just not to the point that they are a courses only/primary defense. Fast is good, but not when you putt over a buried Volkswagen.

5. One 200+ par 3. And one little 125 yarder with a tucked pin surrounded by alligators and lava.

6. I enjoy a few doglegs, but don't make me keep my left(or right) blinker on all day.

7. After I play a course the first time, I actually enjoy knowing on 2-3 tee shots or lay ups that I played into the designers trap(looking at you Nicklaus). Makes me want to have another shot at it.

8. Most important, a friendly bev cart gal that shows up every 4 holes selling $2.50 beers!
Aggie1391
I pretty much agree with all of these.

One I would like to add is holes facing different directions. I don't like it when I play 9 holes into the wind, and 9 holes with the wind. Throw some cross winds in there.
JayMac
The courses I like most tend to have more wildlife than others. I like golfing with a great atmosphere, not next to a highway.
bagger05
AG
Here is what Allister MacKenzie thought:
    quote:
  • The emphasis should be placed on natural beauty, not on artificial features
  • There should always be an alternative route for the weaker player, yet a sufficient number of heroic carries to challenge the stronger player
  • There should be a complete absence of the annoyance caused by the searching for lost balls (meaning, an avoidance of utilizing heavy rough in the design)
  • The beginner should not be continually harassed by losing strokes from playing out of sand bunkers

Unemployed
AG
I hate blind shots. They're useless and stupid.
tommeehawk7
1} Pine Trees
2} No blind shots
3}Several very elevated tee boxes
4} Water guarding a few greens
5} Easily accessible beverage cart
ORAggieFan
Views and holes like this.

tommeehawk7
Wow ! Nice
bagger05
AG
quote:
Views and holes like this.

That picture does not even begin to do that hole justice. The green is about 70 feet below the tee box. Absolutely breathtaking hole.

When I played it I absolutely pured a six iron and hit it to about 10 feet. Missed the birdie but that one shot was worth the price of the plane ticket, the hotel, and the green fee.
Aggie1391
Is that Torrey Pines? From first look, I thought Pebble Beach, but that hole is only like 90 yards.
aggiedent
AG
1. Some type of inherent beauty, whether that be beautifully wooded, ocean views, or whatever.
2. At least a few memorable holes.....holes that you remember after you play them for the first time.
3. Good maintenance especially on the greens.
rodneyp11
AG
Probably the best view from a par 3 I have ever played.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdutn0fuirr6d71/Photo%20Apr%2008%2C%209%2053%2053%20AM.jpg?dl=0
bagger05
AG
That's the sixth hole at Torrey Pines North.
ORAggieFan
quote:
That's the sixth hole at Torrey Pines North.

Yep. My favorite hole on either course.
stick93
AG
Kinda scary that "T-Hawk" is one of the few to stay on task! I was just wondering what makes you like a course and makes you want to go back vs. swearing it off. We'd all love mountains* or an ocean as a backdrop. But if no airplane or hotel was involved what, in general, makes a good golf course?

*Alotian Golf Club all day everyday
birdman
No slow golfers in front of me.
Unemployed
AG
- Elevation changes
- No blind shots
- Fun holes (short par 3/driveable par 4/etc.)
- Light to no rough
- Risk and reward holes (ex: Par 5 dogleg with water - if you hit a good drive, you can cut the corner and leave you a manageable 2nd shot to the green or else you're in the drink.)
- Trees to provide a bit of shade in the Texas heat.
turfaggie24
AG
1) Great course conditions (full coverage grass on all spots)
2) Fast greens with no grain
3) Immaculate bunkers (consistent moisture level=consistent playability)
4) Beautiful scenery man made or natural
5) Superb signature hole
6) Hot bevcart girls
7) Food/drink stations
garym2001
AG
Alotian has everything. Great, scenic course. Best service anywhere I've ever been and the day I played there were only 3 other groups playing all day.
bagger05
AG
My overall philosophy on golf:
1. It is a game and is supposed to be enjoyed.
2. The game itself should be about both execution AND problem solving.

To me, a course can be great if it supports these principles.

Pertaining to #1:
- A great course highlights the natural beauty of the piece of earth it's placed on. There are great courses in the mountains, near the oceans, in the plains, in the forest, etc. Most of the time that I really enjoy a course, it completely owns the topography, vegetation, and climate that it has to work in. Basically, a course shouldn't pretend to be in a place that it isn't and it should take full advantage of the natural features the designer has to work with.
- Tied into the joy of being outside, the course should be easily walkable assuming the topography allows.
- A great course should be well-maintained and staffed with friendly, competent people.
- The course should have adequate facilities to socialize before and/or after the round.
- It should also have the facilities you need that allow you to play your best -- driving range, putting green, short game area.

Pertaining to #2:
- Every hole should require some kind of strategic thought and have solutions clearly available for different skill sets. I'll borrow from Bobby Jones' thoughts on course setup at Augusta. You should be able to fairly easily play for bogey, be rewarded with a par for good solid play, and birdies shouldn't easily be available without playing aggressively and taking on risk.
- The potential consequences of your shot selections should be very clear. No hidden trouble. No tricked up bullcrap.
- There should be several big risk/reward opportunities. Bonus points for grouping a couple or several of these holes together. Preferably you should be presented with one or more of these opportunities in the last several holes.
mongey donk
AG
Unlimited free homemade tacos at the turn, like the ocean course at Cabo del Sol
Chipotlemonger
AG
Goodness...do yourself a favor and Google Alotian golf
Chipotlemonger
AG
Speaking of tricked up crap...the Trails of Frisco anyone?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.