Barney Adams on Taylor Made's marketing strategy:

948 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AgDotCom
bdenby
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The love and hate of TM's product cycle gets a ton of play on here. A buddy of mine who is a club pro sent me this article from Golf WRX. I found it pretty interesting. I hope you all do to.

http://www.golfwrx.com/250147/how-taylormades-marketing-slayed-callaway-and-saved-golfers-money/
Yesterday
AG
Is he correct about Callaway's costing $2300? or was that a typo? Great article!
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
Is he correct about Callaway's costing $2300? or was that a typo? Great article!
$500 for the driver
~$300 for each fairway metal
~$1200 for players irons

So yeah $2300 for everything but the wedge and putter
ORAggieFan
Interesting stuff. I think Adams' articles have been really good reads and interesting insight into the industry.
Yesterday
AG
Ah, that makes more sense. I read it as a single three wood or a set of irons retailed for that much.
klockness
AG
I saw that article. That sounds about right in the late 90's. In high school I saved up my money to buy a used 975D for I think $400, new they were $500. My dad gave me $100 and I came up with the rest. Still have that driver I bet I couldn't get $10 for it now.

I've never spent that much on a club since. I use to drool over ping ISIs MSRP on those in 1996 was $1,200. Think a set of 3-PW of Callaway irons was $600 and up, $600 for a Biggest Big Bertha driver, $500 a pop for a 3 & and 5 wood, wedges and putter and you're well over $2000.

Check this out it doesn't have original MSRP for everything but some stuff is on there.
http://valueguide.pga.com/index-exec/
AgDotCom
That's a great article, should interest both golfers who follow the industry and general businessmen alike.

Thanks for posting, reading it far exceeded my expectations when I clicked.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.