First Lesson Today...

2,388 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by WHOOP!'91
ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well, first since I started playing again in May. I'm mid 30s and played as a kid, but never very good. Played off and on over the years, then basically took 6 years w/o playing. Now I'm playing 2-4/month plus some practice when I can, but really not improving. USGA Index is 26, despite only breaking 100 once.

Anyway, to my point. I have a one hour lesson today with the plan of buying 5 1/2 hour follow up lessons if it goes well. Curious of anything I should ask the instructor or be looking for. I'm hoping for more of a coaching type relationship and extending it longer term if everything goes well.

Overall I need help on all parts of my game.
stick93
AG
My only advice is to be certain he knows you only want to walk away with, at most, 2 things to work on. Get an honest assessment of all facets but don't leave with ideas to fix everything at once.
Ag_07
AG
I would say make sure he gives you specific drills or routines that you can work on to fix specific things rather just overall advice or instruction.

Rather than him simply say 'Yeah you need to keep your arms in and not come over the top so much. There ya go that looks good. Keep it there'...I like something along the lines of 'You need to keep your arms inside and not come over the top so much. Here is this towel for you to put under your arm when you swing. If you can swing while holding it there that will keep your arms in. Do that 25 times and try it without the towel.'

For me it's not so much about what I'm doing wrong but how the fack can I fix it.
WHOOP!'91
AG
I found that taking one of those multi-week group lessons that cover the basics was a good start. I, like most people, rack up most of my strokes within 30 yds of the green. Blading or fluffing pitches, not being able to chip to "gimme" range putts. That sort of thing. I can be just off the green after 2 or a par 4 and end up with a double-bogey very easily. Getting those basics in can allow you to practice those things correctly and improve on them.

I did that, then a couple of 30 minute lessons and saw some improvement. I am still in need of consistency, but that will come with practice.
ORAggieFan
quote:
I, like most people, rack up most of my strokes within 30 yds of the green. Blading or fluffing pitches, not being able to chip to "gimme" range putts. That sort of thing. I can be just off the green after 2 or a par 4 and end up with a double-bogey very easily. Getting those basics in can allow you to practice those things correctly and improve on them.

Played Friday, worst round since my first two back. Finally two good shots in row, I'm within 50 yards in 2 on a Par 5.....I took an 8

Thanks for the tips guys, good advice. Anyone else, keep them coming.
WHOOP!'91
AG
I feel ya, ORAggie. Battleground at Deer Park #10 is a short-ish par 5. I am not a big hitter, so if my first two shots are decent, I will be 50 - 70 yds out after 2. All I have to do is pop a wedge onto the green and two-putt for par. Almost without fail, I will pull my sand wedge left into the water.

FML.
CapCity12thMan
AG
if they don't spend the vast majority of your lesson time on your setup I would find another instructor
tommeehawk7
Grip
Setup
Tempo

Keep it all simple.
ORAggieFan
Learned a lot. Has two cameras, so tons of examining swing. Basically just hit 7 iron and driver and we made tweaks. He said I'd be "easy to fix".

For irons the main change was getting hips sliding way early, I knew I was turning them late and couldn't figure out why. Plane was a few degrees off but once hips slid properly the plane was perfect.

Driver was WAY outside in, mainly due to my attempts to fix things. Had me starting way more tight. Really made a difference.

Awesome to see my swing side by side before and after as well as next to pros.
WHOOP!'91
AG
Did you go to GolfTec? Its unusual for a pro at a course to have the cameras and stuff. The guy I use records on his iPad.
ORAggieFan
No, but it is a range. He used to work at Torrey Pines and another nice course in the area. He has his own area at the range. Cameras, LCD for viewing, printer, etc. real nice setup. It's interesting, they have four pros there and all the others teach out of the range and not his custom area. Almost all the videos of the pros he took himself.
booradley
AG
if you want to improve... take a lesson every month from someone you trust and someone you can communicate with...

regardless how you're playing. even when you're hitting it great - you need eyes on you.

I did this for years and it really helped. now I have no time and no one close (local) that I trust. and I get worse and worse...

and remember that practice makes perfect. so we might as well perfect the good stuff versus what you think is the good stuff (but might not be good stuff since we can't see ourselves).

that's my 2 cent opinion from an old guy...
hoya-ag
AG
Putt. Putt. Putt. Two putting every time will probably save you quite a few strokes.

When chipping, get it on the ground as soon as possible. Use your P-9-8-7 as often as possible around the green.

Fine a club you can punch out and advance it down the fairway with consistently and use it every time (and practice it on the range). Not compounding your errors will make a huge difference in your score.

Play your shot. If you can hit it "solid" but it is a slice, play it. Just live with hitting it straight on those times you do.

ORAggieFan
My putting is decent. Sure, it can be improved, but my approaches, chips, pitches, sand and drives are worse.

I do need to figure out the long putts. I am pretty good in the 5-15 foot range, but the 30+ foot is where I struggle. That said, if I improve getting on the green from within 100 yards I'll shave 10 strokes off.
Westicles
AG
I need some lessons too. Had played my way down to a 9.5 HC with no lessons in my entire life but now my game has gone significantly backwards and is what I consider "bi-polar". I either can't even break 90 or I miraculously shoot an 80. Hardly anything in between these days.

Sunday I shot an 94, with a 49 on the front where I had nothing worse than a double (ie no blow up holes, just consistenly piss poor golf) and couldn't par a hole to save my life. Last night I went and played nine and shot a 40 (2 bogeys and 1 double, 6 pars). 100 yds and in I'm a 9.5 HC, 500 yds to 100 yds, I am a 25 HC on 4 days out of 5.

Frustrating as ****.
tommeehawk7
ORaggiefan , where did you take your lesson?
ORAggieFan
I live in San Diego, so likely nowhere familiar with most. But, it was at Hodges Golf Learning Center (aka driving range).
Unemployed
AG
quote:
Putt. Putt. Putt. Two putting every time will probably save you quite a few strokes.

When chipping, get it on the ground as soon as possible. Use your P-9-8-7 as often as possible around the green.

Fine a club you can punch out and advance it down the fairway with consistently and use it every time (and practice it on the range). Not compounding your errors will make a huge difference in your score.

Play your shot. If you can hit it "solid" but it is a slice, play it. Just live with hitting it straight on those times you do.

Gary Koch, is that you?
tommeehawk7
Or Scott Hoch ?
ORAggieFan
Have played twice since the lesson. Friday I could notice the difference, but 4 penalty strokes and some horrible putting had my score not great.

Yesterday I started off bad, but ended up with a 95 and played final 12 holes +12. That's a huge improvement for me. Couldn't get any one putts for any birdies, but 5 pars is nothing for me to complain about. Still see lots of strokes out there, next up is practice, practice, practice on my chips.
WHOOP!'91
AG
I need to work on 6 - P accuracy and chipping. They are important enough individually, but when you consistently miss the green on the approach and fail to land a chip close enough to 1-putt, you add a lot of strokes to the round.

Sounds like you had good results from your first lesson, though. I have had a couple of 30-minute lessons and hit right around 100.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.