Solid courses within about an hour of BCS

2,421 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Trick
gam 15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My buds and I want a little getaway from test week tomorrow. Looking for a good public course, possibly a little off the beaten path, that has decent value and is within driving distance.

Would appreciate any and all recommendations!
Ag_07
AG
Woodforest in Montgomery is the first that comes to mind
River Ridge in Sealy
Stephen F Austin in San Felipe

Blackhorse is nice but not really off the beaten path or value as I think it's a bit overpriced.
stick93
AG
Isn't there a decent course in Huntsville?
hot dog
AG
SFA
TheGreatScott12
AG
Ravens Nest in Huntsville is pretty fun. We always played Pecan Lakes in Navasota when I was in school.
birdman
Pecan Lakes is nice.

I always loved the course at Bastrop State Park, but haven't played it in ten years.
Aggie1391
Spend the extra money to play river ridge. Quickly becoming one of my favorite courses in the city.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
Pecan Lakes is nice.
Since when?
TheGreatScott12
AG
BEaggie08 I know Pecan Lakes isn't the nicest, but if your a college kid and dad and mom aren't shelling out money for $50 golf rounds then I believe Pecan Lakes was plenty nice for a few college buddies trying to drink some beers and hack it around.
AgDotCom
The conditions are Stephen F are hit and miss....sometimes very good, sometimes average.

But I've had a damn good time every round. That might be my choice.
Ag_07
AG
I played SFA on Labor Day and the conditions were awesome. With the decent rain and mild temps we've had since then I'd venture to say it's good to go.

This is the case for any decently maintained course in SE Texas right now.
agsalaska
AG
Without a doubt the Falls in New Ulm. Beautiful course deep in the woods. Its a great place to play.
bdgol07
AG
Raven best in Huntsville off of 45 is pretty good IMO
agfan2013
AG
Pine Forest in Bastrop. Cheap and incredibly fun layout.
husker6869
quote:
Without a doubt the Falls in New Ulm. Beautiful course deep in the woods. Its a great place to play.

+1 and prepare to be humbled
hoya-ag
AG
There used to be a fun course off 6 towards Conroe in the opposite direction of Pecan Lakes that was pretty cheap. Not sure if it still exists though.
Jeff Schmahl
Good suggestions above...but I would add Walden on Lake Conroe in Montgomery. It has been ranked among the top courses in Texas and is a very fun and challenging layout. #11, #12, and #13 are something to behold...three of the best holes in succession I've ever played.
Aggie1391
quote:
Good suggestions above...but I would add Walden on Lake Conroe in Montgomery. It has been ranked among the top courses in Texas and is a very fun and challenging layout. #11, #12, and #13 are something to behold...three of the best holes in succession I've ever played.

Isn't that private?
dcrewint
I would highly suggest Grand Lake.

I don't know why, but I've only played it once. It's on the outskirts of Montgomery. It was fun and a great layout. Greens were quick when I played last year, with cooler weather I'm sure it's slower than normal.

It's definitely off the beaten bath. They have no range/ warm-up area and the clubhouse is basically attached to a maintenance shed. Price was something around 35$

[url]http://grandlakegolfclub.com/

[/url]Edit: $46 on weekends.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
BEaggie08 I know Pecan Lakes isn't the nicest, but if you're a college kid and dad and mom aren't shelling out money for $50 golf rounds then I believe Pecan Lakes was plenty nice for a few college buddies trying to drink some beers and hack it around.
Oh, I played there plenty in college. It was our preferred local public course when I was in school, but I wouldn't call it nice. I was just curious if they had done something recently to make it that way.
The D
AG
quote:
I would highly suggest Grand Lake.

I don't know why, but I've only played it once. It's on the outskirts of Montgomery. It was fun and a great layout. Greens were quick when I played last year, with cooler weather I'm sure it's slower than normal.

It's definitely off the beaten bath. They have no range/ warm-up area and the clubhouse is basically attached to a maintenance shed. Price was something around 35$

[url]http://grandlakegolfclub.com/

[/url]Edit: $46 on weekends.
I would recommend this place too. Played there many times and the greens are usually in good shape and running fast. Spotty areas in the fairway at times, but cant go wrong for the price.
Jeff Schmahl
Walden is a private club but I'm pretty sure they allow the public to play on certain days and times. I never had a problem getting on...but working for the Athletic Department didn't hurt.
agfan2013
AG
quote:
quote:
BEaggie08 I know Pecan Lakes isn't the nicest, but if you're a college kid and dad and mom aren't shelling out money for $50 golf rounds then I believe Pecan Lakes was plenty nice for a few college buddies trying to drink some beers and hack it around.
Oh, I played there plenty in college. It was our preferred local public course when I was in school, but I wouldn't call it nice. I was just curious if they had done something recently to make it that way.

Not really. Last few times I've been it's in less than average shape. They save money by having one person answer the phone, take money for the round, run the snack bar, etc. so you often have to wait for awhile on stuff. And they definitely aren't cheap, don't know what the student rate is anymore but I've paid in the $40s the last couple of times, not worth what they charge IMO.
dcrewint
Pecan has gone downhill. I remember when I first picked up golf(6 years ago) I would go to Pecan for "better greens" than bryan muni/ campus course. I'll never go back until someone I personally knows tells me they went back and the course was nice. It sucks. Bunkers are ground up gravel, tee boxes are furry, sometimes not that easy to tell the difference between rough and fairway(I'm exaggerating some) and most of all the greens absolutely suck. I'd rather putt at Bryan Muni.
Yesterday
AG
I'd drive to Bastrop and play Colo Vista and/or Lost Pines. Colo Vista used to run $80/round but now it's around $30-$40 depending on the day. It's about 1.5 hours to Bastrop though.
Txroper
AG
quote:
quote:
Pecan Lakes is actually in pretty good shape right now. Played it last weekend and was pleased with it.
Trick
AG
High Meadow in Magnolia is great. Surprisingly, La Toretta was also pretty nice. Twilight is really cheap. Played both on Ms State weekend.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.