Lower your scores by 2 shots per round by..................

3,438 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Thisguy1
tommeehawk7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Start using soft balls. Srixon , Snake Eyes , even Noodles. Balls don't spin like they did 15 years ago , and most of us don't compress the ball enough to use Pro v 1's . Softer balls will give you more control and will hold the greens much better.

Don't trust me , ask you club pro.
Icecream_Ag
S
That's why I play the Bridgestone e series and the nxt tour.
stick93
AG
This was all proven unpossible on this very board a few months ago. If you are unwilling to spend $4/ball just stop by Goodwill on your way to the bowling alley and dump your sticks.
agsalaska
AG
quote:
and most of us don't compress the ball enough to use Pro v 1's .

I dont agree with that.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Me neither.

Lower your score by 2 strokes by learning how to actually read and line up your putts. See way too many of my buddies just embarrassingly attempt to putt. A quick tip here and there helps them out (namely 2 of them), but it doesn't last from round to round.

Practice putting and develop a consistent feel for a stroke...not necessarily a stamp an packed stroke every time (sometimes you gotta adjust for windier conditions, pace of green/time of day).
USGA77
AG
Generally speaking--moving up one set of tees will do the trick.

Or if that's not palatable, move up one set of tees on the par 5s.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Hmm that got me thinking. Which par of holes would moving up a tee box be most advantageous to everyone? Par 3's, par 4's, or par 5's. Guess it depends on a player's strengths and weaknesses. (Footnote: consider a course where there are 6 holes of each par to make the comparison)
HouAggie
AG
I didn't read your whole post. Dumbass.
tommeehawk7
Chip , my guess would be the par 3's. The tee changes on those holes can make a huge difference on the only full shot you should be taking on that hole.
93MarineHorn
I've just recently been using Callaway Supersoft golf balls. They are less than 1/2 the price of Pro V1s and I've been shooting some of the best rounds of my life. They do not perform like a Pro V1 around greens, no doubt, but they are very long and straight. I'd recommend them to anyone, especially higher handicaps.
tommeehawk7
92marinehorn , do you find that they check up better on iron shots to the greens?
Funky Winkerbean
AG
When's the last time you had a well struck shot not hold a green?
JayMac
Chill and be patient. Know when to really put out for the birdie, and when to be happy with a bogey.
93MarineHorn
tommeehawk- yes, they do seem to check up better on full swing iron shots. Not the case on chips and pitches, for me at least. When I pitch or chip I have to allow a little extra roll out.
jja79
AG
My 11 year started using Callaway SuperSoft a few months ago. Today I ran up to Traditions on the spur of the moment. Usually I have plenty of balls in my truck but all I had were the SS. I'll be buying them myself now. I was happy with them on all shots.
Pitch To Johnny
AG
Got excited. Opened forum. Frowned. I already use soft golf balls and suck.
Unemployed
AG
quote:
Got excited. Opened forum. Frowned. I already use soft golf balls and suck.

Your first mistake was thinking that a thread started by tommeehawk would contain any useful information.
Chipotlemonger
AG
^
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Better off practicing chipping and putting instead of walking across the practice green to your car after hitting 2 buckets of balls. For 90% of golfers, most couldn't tell much difference between a pro-V and a range ball when they hit it.
Unemployed
AG
Would you rather 3-putt or:

1) Hit it OB on your drive or
2) Slice your drive into the rough and behind a tree or
3) Hook your drive into fairway bunker or
4) Hit your approach shot fat/thin or
5) Hit your approach shot into the water guarding the green

Mis-hitting a chip or a putt is not as damaging as mis-hitting your tee or approach shot.
Chipotlemonger
Aggie1391
quote:
Would you rather 3-putt or:

1) Hit it OB on your drive or
2) Slice your drive into the rough and behind a tree or
3) Hook your drive into fairway bunker or
4) Hit your approach shot fat/thin or
5) Hit your approach shot into the water guarding the green

Mis-hitting a chip or a putt is not as damaging as mis-hitting your tee or approach shot.

While I mainly agree with your last statement, you can still recover from a bad shot if you have a good short game. In 3 of the 5 scenarios listed, you can save par on 3 of them if you have a good short game
bagger05
AG
I think it really depends on where you are with your game. Someone who is trying to break 80 will have different practice needs from someone who is trying to break 100. This is probably the best way I've heard it described:

Break 100:
- Advance the ball and keep it in play

Break 90:
- Get down in 3 from anywhere around the green

Break 80:
- Hit greens and eliminate three-putts

Break 70:
- Hit close approaches and be really good at scrambling
BigHitterDaLama
Most golfers (amateur( dont compress the ball consistentlly enough with higher swing and ball speeds to know the difference of a ProV1..... vs a much cheaper ball. That is truth.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That is a damn good assessment bagger. I completely agree with the breakdowns.
Sooner Born
I would disagree on the break 70. The players I have seen do that in person are good at scrambling but are exceptional at making birdies. It's like anytime they need birdie to bounce back from a bogey, they get one.
bagger05
AG
quote:
I would disagree on the break 70. The players I have seen do that in person are good at scrambling but are exceptional at making birdies. It's like anytime they need birdie to bounce back from a bogey, they get one.

I admit that I don't know much about how to break 70 (or 80).
tommeehawk7
Anyone breaking 70 has an all around dang good game.
BigHitterDaLama
To break 80, i think the most telling stat is GIR. You hit a strong % of greens, you should shoot in the 70s.
Thisguy1
I'd agree more with hitting your GIR. Get on the green as quickly as you can. The closer your approach shots, the lower the score. Obviously everything has to be going right to shoot in the 60s. The lowest round I've shot was a 69. I've shot a 66, but from the seniors. Both were at The Campus Course. I play ProVs, mainly ProVx, but I hit Nike 20xis a lot before because they were cheaper. I can tell a good difference between the 2, mainly on iron shots.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.