Golf Membership in Houston? Need Advice

19,885 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by tommeehawk7
Rushigan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, I'm looking into getting a junior membership to one of the Houston courses and need some advice on where to go.

Golf Club of Houston (Redstone) and Carlton Woods are both in my price range and needed to know the pros/cons of both. I would look into Champions as well, but my 18 handicap isn't going to cut it for them, apparently.

Since I'm primarily looking for golf only (not so interested in social events), I'm certainly reevaluating whether Carlton Woods is worth the money, especially since the drive is significantly further from downtown, where I live.

Additionally, it seems that GCoH also gives membership to BlackHorse and Black Hawk (formerly Houstonian), which appears to be a big benefit.

So the main issue is this: is the golf at Carlton Woods enough of an improvement to be worth the additional cash as well as the longer drive?

Any input is welcome!
garym2001
AG
Yes, the golf is that much better at Carlton Woods. You also need to decide if you want a place just to take your friends/clients or if you'll want to get involved and meet people. Carlton Woods will be better for the latter.

You might also want to look into Brae Burn. It's a great club closer to downtown than GCoH and Carlton Woods.
tommeehawk7
What part of town do you live and work in?
Rushigan
AG
I live in midtown and work downtown
Rushigan
AG
Scratch Carlton Woods off the list. At $900/mo that's more than I want to spend.

Probably between champions and Golf Club of Houston
tommeehawk7
I play a lot at Sharpstown , if you need a nomination there let me know.
cab595
Like someone else said, I'd do Braeburn if you live and work in the downturn area.

Westicles
AG
I just don't get why you would want to join somewhere that's a 30+ minute drive like Champions. You'll end up getting considerably less use out of the membership.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
I just don't get why you would want to join somewhere that's a 30+ minute drive like Champions. You'll end up getting considerably less use out of the membership.
Rushigan
AG
Valid points. Great input, guys. How does Brae Burn compare to the courses at Golf Club of Houston? I thought the tournament course was beautiful
Gig-Em2003
AG
Throw Westwood into the mix if all you care about is golf. One of my favorite layouts in Houston.
garym2001
AG
The course at BraeBurn is really cool. Go check it out. They have a great Jr membership.

Westwood is also great. It's golf only and the course is always in good shape.
aggiebrother33
My top three from where you are, played them all.
Breaburn-excellent golf club with great pros and locker room.
Westwood-great re-do to the golf course, supposed nice clubhouse in the works
I would choose GCoH before champions, 10 years ago I would say champions but I've heard they are having issues with conditions. I would even consider Riverbend but course isn't the level of the first.
garym2001
AG
The clubhouse at Westwood is fone and its really nice.
HouAggie
AG
The membership at Westwood is a little...different. Doesn't really seem to be a fun group and they are/were a little short on junior members, so maybe that was a factor. (This is circa 2012.)

Just my $0.02.

If they still offer their trial membership, I would do that before committing, if you were considering Westwood. The course and clubhouse are great.
RustyBV
AG
Lakeside Jr Membership could be an option: $20k initiation, dues range dependant on age around $400$500/mth. Jr is until you're 40 and you can spread the initiation over 4 years.
cab595
heard there is a 2 year wait on lakeside though.
WHOOP!'91
AG
You can come hit 'em with me at Battleground. $50/mo, unlimited range balls and $9 twilight with cart.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
You can come hit 'em with me at Battleground. $50/mo, unlimited range balls and $9 twilight with cart.

Good ****. Wish my range course had lower twilight rates like this.
WHOOP!'91
AG
Excellent deal. Non-members are just $22 twilight with cart, and this little $50/mo membership also moves twilight earlier by an hour, so you can get on after the serious golfers clear but before the other twilight deal seekers.

Of course, I can't post on golf boards that I am trying to decide between prestigious memberships and look all cool and rich, but I play a lot of golf for cheap!
Westicles
AG
Rush, I'd be willing to get you on at Braeburn and get you setup with the membership coordinator if you are interested.

Westicles06 at hotmail
Ag_07
AG
Isn't there a long thread about country club memberships in Houston on here somewhere? Either here on the Houston board. I'll look and post the link if I can find it.
RustyBV
AG
Yes Lakeside wait list is 1.5-2 years, members are also voting soon to possibly increase Jr membership initiation to $30k.
WHOOP!'91
AG
Too rich for my working-class blood.

Who are the members, heart surgeons and hedge-fund managers?
jonj101
Rushigan, don't know if this will help much, but I'll give my two cents since not long ago i was in same predicament.

My wife and I recently stopped in at Westwood to check it out. Its off of 59 and honestly its not
surrounded by the best area, but once you get past that the course itself as well as the practice area looked pretty nice. On the Saturday that we went they were having a junior tournament which I thought was pretty cool - if maybe you have siblings or nieces/nephews that may be a feature you want.

However there was also a turn off for me there. While I like that the place seems to be all about the golf, and the staff seemed engaging and attentive, I didn't get the best vibe from the members that were around. There were more than a few of them that were either walking towards me, or I made eye contact with, and I would say hello and they either wouldn't say anything or mumble something quickly and move around. Maybe I ran into all the guys that lost in their foursome that day, or I just caught them in a bad mood, but that was completely the opposite from what I have experienced at my home club when I was
checking it out. Hopefully most of them aren't like that, but unfortunately the ones I encountered were.

I haven't had the chance to check out Braeburn, but would like to. Ive heard good things about it.

I've been a member at Golfcrest in Pearland for nearly 2years now, and I love it. Its been a great place for a beginner like me to learn, but there are also a bunch of good players there as well. The greens are usually in great condition compared to many of the surrounding courses, and at the moment they have a project to extend a number of the tee boxes for those that play from the tips. The junior dealI got involved no initiation fee, so that was a big plus. It is a country club versus the golf purest places like Champions, Westwood, etc, but its not one of those places where a bunch of social activities overshadows a terrible course. Plus I have yet to encounter a single ****** bag out there. I don't know if I've been extremely fortunate, but all the members I have met - long time or newer ones like myself, have all been engaging, helpful, and personable. I will be honest and say though that the pro shop and the dining room are dated if you care about that sort of thing. They recently renovated a lounge area on the second floor for watching games and stuff, but the rest of the building is still behind on that. But to echo West, I'm guessing its about 30 minutes from where you are in downtown, so I don't know if that's worth the drive for you or not.

As far as the earlier comment about Champions, I played there months back and it was in decent shape - as I recall a bunch of courses in the Houston area had issues with the greens because of the late winter or something, so I did see a few spots here and there. But nothing serious. That place is amazing to me. From the locker room that feels like a museum to having a passing conversation with Jackie Burke. It just feels like you're not only out for a round of golf, but walking in a historical landmark. If you really feel like that is the place, you can bring your handicap down (I used a thread on this board called the Ultimate Practice Routine, and this year went from a 20+ to a 14.6). It's been a few months since I've been out there, but I was under the impression that since they got the former superintendent of Redstone, the maintenance has improved greatly.

Another one that is a similar distance from downtown as Champions (roughly 30 minutes) is Kingwood Country Club. They have 4 courses on site and every time I've played out there they are in good condition. I think you can even pay a little bit more of a premium and join Deerwood right up the street. Considering they are owned by Clubcorp, that will give you the occasional variety if you want to switch it up a bit. Since they just bought Canongate that should about double the amount of courses they have in the Houston area.

Also, on the way to Champions on 1960 off 45 is Northgate. I've never played that course, but I think that they have a partnership with Walden on Lake Conroe, so you should get privileges there as well.
I just know that there are 3 nines, so that helps from a variety standpoint.

I know I just wrote a novel, but basically much of it depends on how far you want to drive from downtown. If you have enough free time where a 30 minute trip doesn't bother you, that helps your options.
CornersBlitz
I live in West U and thought about joining Braeburn. But if you are a Junior, you cannot pass up the deal at Black Hawk. You never have to pay the remaining balance when you turn 36, so it made it about $15-$17k less expensive than Braeburn. Plus, you get to play Black Horse and Redstone.

It takes me 25 minutes door to door, compared to 15-17 at Braeburn. Played 9 today as a matter of fact. Let me know if you want to go out and play sometime, and I'll take you out there.

The facilities are also very posh and new.
MCAg09
AG
Carlton Woods is in your price range? Where do you work and are you hiring?
aggiebrother33
quote:
I live in West U and thought about joining Braeburn. But if you are a Junior, you cannot pass up the deal at Black Hawk. You never have to pay the remaining balance when you turn 36, so it made it about $15-$17k less expensive than Braeburn. Plus, you get to play Black Horse and Redstone.

It takes me 25 minutes door to door, compared to 15-17 at Braeburn. Played 9 today as a matter of fact. Let me know if you want to go out and play sometime, and I'll take you out there.

Is this the old Houstonian? If so that would be a good choice, I forgot about that one...
CornersBlitz
Yes it is the old Houstonian.
Westicles
AG
quote:

Lol what? From West U it only takes you 8-10 more minutes to go from BraeBurn to Houstonian? In no scenario could anyone make it from Bissonnet/59 to the Houstonian, especially in Houston traffic.

Are you trying to convince us or yourself?
WHOOP!'91
AG
Bentleys and Ferraris are very fast or maybe there is a private helicopter involved.
OA_02
AG
I've played golf in Houston virtually my entire life. I think that golf club of Houston is one of the best values out there. The courses are in good condition and the practice facility is excellent. The access to other courses around Houston is great as well. PM me if you have questions. I've just been very happy with my membership.
CornersBlitz
quote:
quote:

"Lol what? From West U it only takes you 8-10 more minutes to go from BraeBurn to Houstonian? In no scenario could anyone make it from Bissonnet/59 to the Houstonian, especially in Houston traffic.

Are you trying to convince us or yourself?"

^^Internet tough guy up there. Most of the traffic occurs between Kirby and West Park tollroad; which means you get the same amount of traffic for both. But instead of hitting up the ghetto near Braeburn for 5-7 minutes, you enter the West Park tollroad and its a clear shot. I've timed both. Thanks, for your baseless opinion.

Also, wear your bullet proof vest on Bissonnet/South Gessner, because you may get car jacked.
Westicles
AG
Baseless? Dude, it's 9 miles vs 27. How are facts considered "baseless"?

Look, to each their own. I've played Houstonian several times and I much more prefer the course at Braeburn. It's surrounded by some ghetto but it's a far, far cry from that within those walls and if you never even bothered to check it out, then that's your loss. Have fun driving 3 times as far as you could have.
mt3950
AG
Royal Oaks.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.