What is the best round you have personally played alongside?

3,141 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by CapCity12thMan
CapCity12thMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm talking best round in your group, not one you've seen on TV, or heard about. One you've personally walked alongside, shot for shot...

Mine:
2008 US Public Links qualifying. Kid from Missouri City (Lance Lopez - went on to play for t.u.) shoots 64 at Memorial Park in Houston. Miss hit about 3 shots all day, got up and down from each, and then made every other birdie putt he attempted. It was impressive.
Cavender Neutze
AG
Played in the final group of a tournament in Pleasanton 2010 with Curtis Reed (Houston) our senior year in high school. Started one back and he birdied 2 and 3...Hit it to an inch for eagle on 4. An inch for birdie on 7. Birdied both par 5's on the back for a 64. Never seen someone jump out that fast...Was not fun when you were the one he as running away from.
aggiebrother33
While working at a club a few years back, my buddy(fellow golf pro) shot I think 29 on the front and 61 or 62 for the day. Course record that still stands but for the life of me cannot remember the exact score, he plays professionally now...
proudaggie02
AG
A buddy of mine witnessed a 62. I was also in the group.
aggiebrother33
quote:
remind me not to ever play you...man that's low.
proudaggie02
AG
^
Thanks.... that was my first round as a married man (2006). I don't go low very often nowadays. I can't pinpoint the reason why, though I think the greens and courses are a big part of it (I've lived in Denver the last 5 years). I think a lot of it is mental. I used to have a killer mentality that I was going to make some early birdies & then beat up the back nine. It just doesn't work that way anymore. But I love the challenge and process of getting better.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I have seen two 69 rounds. One was at The Broadmoor and one was in Vegas but I cant remember which course. The one in CO was with a guy I think had the best short game I have ever seen. He told me he lived on a course somewhere and chipped and putted everyday on the hole he lived on.
aggiebrother33
quote:
^
Thanks.... that was my first round as a married man (2006). I don't go low very often nowadays. I can't pinpoint the reason why, though I think the greens and courses are a big part of it (I've lived in Denver the last 5 years). I think a lot of it is mental. I used to have a killer mentality that I was going to make some early birdies & then beat up the back nine. It just doesn't work that way anymore. But I love the challenge and process of getting better.

I completely understand, my game has really suffered lately as well. I used to be very aggressive and played much better then, I think not having my usual Friday game has killed what mentality I had because I don't make the 5-6 birdies a round I used to anymore. I'm lucky with 1 a round now...Unfortunately the game for me has gotten less fun, thank god it is flounder season and I can have a clean slate in the spring. A little birdie told me you used to compete in long drive contests, I too have thought about it as a change of pace but not sure what #'s would really be respectable to compete.
Lukeno
AG
One of my best friends fired off a 62 at Cypress Lakes (and actually left 2 easy putts on the course)

...I on the other hand marked a sweet 81
Ag pride
AG
Seen a 67, bout it.

Nothing crazy, just really solid golf by a buddy all day
93MarineHorn
72, when I shot my best score!

Most of my friends that I golf with aren't very good.
Aggie1391
I played with a guy at Colovista who used to consider that his home course growing up. The dude shot 69 without even trying. He would literally walk up to hit putt, stare at it for 5 seconds, at hit it. It would either drop or burn the edge. He holds the course record at the club the Manziel's are members at I believe.
1208HawkTree
AG
quote:
quote:
remind me not to ever play you...man that's low.

I would like to see this match, honestly.
1208HawkTree
AG
8 of us played a 4 on 4 skins and birdies match once at Blackhorse. One guy in our group was a mini tour player. I shot even par and actually beat him by 3 on the front. The back 9, he shoots a 29. Hit every fairway, every GIR (both par 5s in two), birdied the first 5 holes, and lipped out two eagle putts. I was 2-over on the back, and I think our foursome ended up winning every single bet for the day.

I've never felt like shooting a 74 was a bad score for me, but playing with him on the back I felt like I was 15-over. Glad he was on my team...
agsalaska
AG
It was not a scored round, but by far the best display of golf I have ever seen was with Jay Don Blake at TPC Vegas the day after he won the Senior Tour Championship at Harding Park. He was stuck on the tips and we were on the regular tees so we took almost all of my drives. It was a shamble so we took the best drive and played our own ball in. The winds were brutal gusting passed 30mph. If I remember right we had eight approach shots from 80-100 yards and he birdied seven of them. Because of the killer winds he used a 9 iron or PW on most of the shots and his longest putt on those was probably seven feet. He also birdied two of the party threes by himself. Doing something like that in that kind of wind was just unbelievable. My guess is he would have shot 64 on his own.

Nice guy and he admitted his game was on fire. He also convinced me, rightfully, to not play the 2011 prov 1 because of instability in the wind.
Hanrahan
AG
I've seen a few 63 and 64 rounds from guys that play either on pga tour or canadian tour and web.com. It's funny because watching them do it is kinda uneventful; you don't even realize they are doing it in the moment, it's just business as usual pounding out birdies for them. Watching my buddy who is a 5 shoot 70 was a lot more "eventful."
Deluxe
AG
Lowest round witnessed:
Saw Casey Clendenon shoot 64 at Willow Fork and Meadowbrook Farms a few times

Most impressive rounds:
Played with Graham Hoy in a tournament at River Ridge and he shot 67 (-5 on Parkland-Ridge) in gusting 30 mph winds. Eagled his first three par 5s and missed about a 20 footer for eagle on the fourth.

Played with Tyler Kief in the first round at Regionals 2001 at Memorial Park. Birdied his first four holes and turned in 32. Then had it to 6-under through 13 before finishing bogey-double to shoot 69. Played almost perfect golf up until the 17th hole.
dbtexasag05
Tyler Kief was a great player.

Deluxe where did you play your high school golf at?
RAMF 95
AG
My sister, a 64 (-8) at the Hills of Lakeway. She also had a 63 (-9) out there but I wasn't along for that one.
Deluxe
AG
dbtexas... Cinco Ranch. What about you?
dbtexasag05
Klein Oak.

We must have played around the same times.
TX AG 88
AG
I'm a duffer and all my friends are duffers. We play fast though, so no hatin'.

Anyway, I played with a friend of a friend one time that is obviously one of those natural athletes. (I considered myself an above average athlete in my younger days. Played point guard in basketball, ran the hurdles and 400 , high jumped and long jumped in track, etc. but wasn't exceptional in any of those.) This guy was just on a completely different level. He played baseball in college (D-I, I believe) and IIRC he played a little semi-pro ball. Hand-eye coordination off any chart I would ever be plotted on, that's for sure. He could do the Tiger Woods bounce-the-ball on the wedge, then swing and hit it. He said, and I believe him, that he won a bet with his brother and Dad that he could get the ball on the green of a par 3 that way, and did it on his first try.

He's a lefty and had just the smoothest swing. He didn't play regularly, and was playing for the first time in a year or more. He never hit a wood. Teed off with his 3 iron on long holes, and was nearly as long as our drivers. Can't remember why he said he didn't use his woods... just didn't like them or didn't want to hit them while rusty, or maybe he was just being nice and not show us all up too much.

He didn't do anything spectacular, but hit nearly every fairway and his approaches were all reasonably close to the pin. His putting was good but he didn't sink a lot of really long ones (I guess he didn't have a lot of those). He shot in the low 80s with what seemed like no effort at all. The rest of us were upper 90s or low 100s. It seemed clear that he could get down to mid-70s with no problem at all, whereas I don't think that's EVER possible for me or my other buddies.

It just pointed out to me that golf is an entirely different game for some than it is for the rest of us. I don't think I could ever be that smooth and repeatable. Over a round, my concentration comes and goes, and my form deteriorates and I have no idea what's going wrong or how to fix it. That guy had a level of muscle memory and control that I just can't comprehend.

CapCity12thMan
AG
quote:
hit nearly every fairway and his approaches were all reasonably close to the pin. His putting was good but he didn't sink a lot of really long ones (I guess he didn't have a lot of those). He shot in the low 80s

something is not adding up. This description to me would warrant a round in the 73-75 range, not "low 80s".
TX AG 88
AG
it was 10+ years ago. i'm not sure of the score, to be honest. i just remember how effortless everything seemed, and how jealous i was.
Yesterday
AG
Played a Web.com pro Am with Tag Ridings and be shot a 66. That guy looked just flat out amazing and to think he's a below average tour player. Really nice guy though that could crush the ball.
CapCityAg89
AG
Played a round a couple years ago with a former pro who was in our regular game. I think he shot 69 or 70.

Oh, did I say he was 94? And was a pro in the 50's? And that it was the negro tour?

So smooth. Just a remarkable round. Hit every green but one or two. No three putts. And great stories - he beat Charlie Sifford head up once.
Yesterday
AG
94 years old? Damn
CapCity12thMan
AG
Jackie Burke at 91 yrs old. Phenomenal impact position

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.