Most famous person you have played with?

6,498 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Jeff Schmahl
Aggie1391
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Bush picture got me thinking about famous people everyone has golfed with.

There are people on this board who are well connected and I'm sure have good stories/pictures to share.

So post your pictures and let the jealousy flow through me!
birdman
Bill Murray
tommeehawk7
Ben Crenshaw and Tom Kite. I have had the pleasure of playing with both of them a few times. I grew up in Austin playing in the junior golf programs . I have played with each of them at Lions Municipal {Ol' Muni} and Jimmy Clay. Granted , it was many years ago. They are about 6 and 7 years older than I am.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Of people this board would be familiar with Gene Stallings. Was in Dallas Area around 1998 or 1999. He knew he would be playing with two guys from A&M since it was an A&M Fundraising event, but He wore his 1992 Alabama Ring the whole time and talked almost entirely about Alabama the whole day. My impression was that he was much more fond of Alabama then A&M. It tarnished my view of him for a long time. Disappointing experience.

Did not play golf with Mickelson, but was with him at a few different Thunderbirds events in Phoenix Area and as I have stated before this changed my opinion of him and have since felt that the image everyone sees of him is manufactured and he is not the guy you think he is.
rodneyp11
AG
Robert Trent Jones Jr.

I played Spanish Bay with him last year. Nothing like playing a course like that with the guy that designed it.
CoachLB
Aggie football players. Matt Bumgardner - Randy McCown - Vance Smith - Brian Gamble. Only "famous " people I have played golf with. Other sports the list would be longer. I am a hacker, so I wouldn't really want to play golf with anyone really famous. LOL
Aggie1391
quote:
Of people this board would be familiar with Gene Stallings. Was in Dallas Area around 1998 or 1999. He knew he would be playing with two guys from A&M since it was an A&M Fundraising event, but He wore his 1992 Alabama Ring the whole time and talked almost entirely about Alabama the whole day. My impression was that he was much more fond of Alabama then A&M. It tarnished my view of him for a long time. Disappointing experience.

Did not play golf with Mickelson, but was with him at a few different Thunderbirds events in Phoenix Area and as I have stated before this changed my opinion of him and have since felt that the image everyone sees of him is manufactured and he is not the guy you think he is.

Story time
agfan2013
AG
Not a damn one. Way more fun cutting up with the buds or my old man.
ORAggieFan
Me - no one.

My bro in law who lives in FL played with Ron Harper (Bulls) a few months back. They get off the course and Harper takes a call and says "that was Michael, you guys want to go another round?"

He turns him down to go to an interview (he's a teaching pro).

I get a txt a few weeks back that he's having a beer with Jordan at that course.
ColoradoMooseHerd
I forgot about playing the group behind Marty Schottenheimer at Bandon Dunes. Got to talk to him at a few tee boxes while waiting on group ahead of his and hung out with his group in the clubhouse for a few drinks.

He was staying in cottage next to ours great guy. Lot of fun talking shop with him. Funny story about him buying a pink shirt in the pro shop. Because of the lighting it looked orange on the shelf and that is what he wanted. but at counter it started to look more pink in natural light. Cute girl at the register. He starts to notice that it is not orange and might be pink. He asks the girl what color it was and she replies "fuscia and I think it is great when a man wears that color."

When we left the clubhouse he comments damn I was going to switch it out but how do you do that after she says that. Hell I am man enough to wear pink.

Don't get me wrong I actually like to wear pink and don't see any issue with it. But it was funny to see how much it bothered Schottenheimer and how he was swayed by the pretty girl.
CapCity12thMan
AG
Jimmy Walker
Shane Bertsch, former A&M player, PGA Tour player
Colt Knost (US Amateur champion, US Publinx Champion, PGA Tour player)
Ryan Dreyer (South Africa Amateur Champion 2009, former A&M player)

Buddy of mine had Burton Gilliam join their group one day up in Sun City, Georgetown. Said it was the funnest round of golf he had ever played.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Awesome posts
the dude10
AG
Closest thing to playing with someone famous was a round with 2 secret service members. They were out at the course with bush in the morning a hole ahead and behind him. We invited them back out to play that afternoon and had a great time!
bagger05
AG
I was at an event hosted by the Gatlin Brothers one time, Aside from just brief handshakes I didn't interact with them at all. Biggest named celeb that was there was probably Johnny Bench. Didn't talk to him at all.
1208HawkTree
AG
Played 9 holes with Santana Dotson at William Fuller's charity tournament he used to out on (maybe still does??). He big-timed us by showing up halfway through the round, not hitting any shots, and cutting out before we were done. The group ahead of us had Charles Haley with them. That guy is hilarious.

My FIL played with Fred Couples out at Lochinvar once. They used to have Astros season tickets next to Couples' friend and he would be there occasionally. At one of the games, he invited my FIL out to play. Said Freddy is a super nice guy.
C.C. Bay Ag
AG
Hunter Mahan, Martin Flores and Jimmy Walker. King George let me play through; one shot counts as "playing" I guess.
My main goal in life is to find a beer as cold as a woman's heart
booradley
AG
Jack Nicklaus
Yesterday
AG
Most famous, George W. Bush. Not an entire round, but each of us got to play one hole with him. It just so happened that my hole was the very first hole and it was a par 3. My father and I rolled up to the tee box and there's W. waiting on us. I remembered taking some practice swing, then I blacked out and next thing I knew I was putting for a par. I was extremely nervous. He talked a lot of **** the entire time too which was pretty awesome.

Not so famous but probably my favorite is Tag Riddings a PGA Tour pro for many years. I got to play in a web.com tour pro am with him. He was extremely nice and humble.
dbtexasag05
I caddied for Hunter Haas at the Savanne college golf event in El Paso.

Got to hit balls with him, Ed Lore and Matt Kuchar. Pretty cool.
ElCheAg
AG
Rudy T
LeFraud
Marlon Pompey
Martin Pillar
leachfan
Didn't play golf with him, but stood and watched about 2 hours of the Arnold Palmer Tourney with Spike Dykes.
Harry Stone
AG
Jim Nantz and freddie

Played with a lot of pro athletes though like joe morgan, roger clemens, andy pettitte, craig biggio, keenan mckardell, steve finley, andre ware, mike hampton,
malenurse
AG
Touring pros:
Fuzzy Zoeller - one of the funniest men on the planet
Nancy Lopez
Donna Caponi
Michelle McGann - absolutely can crush the ball

Sports:
John David Crow - (when he was AD) the most fun afternoon of my entire life
Billy Doran
Jeff Bagwell
Craig Biggio
Craig Reynolds

Other:
Frank Beard - sworn to secrecy on the stories he told

aginlakeway
AG
Jack
watty
AG
This thread is causing a lot of sin in my heart.
tommeehawk7
I would love to hear a few of those old Frank Beard stories . I think he was the leading money winner onn the PGA tour around 1969. Won 3 times I believe , led the tour in $$$$ at just barely 100K
1208HawkTree
AG
quote:
I would love to hear a few of those old Frank Beard stories . I think he was the leading money winner onn the PGA tour around 1969. Won 3 times I believe , led the tour in $$$$ at just barely 100K

I'm thinking he meant the OTHER Frank Beard.
USGA77
AG
I was paired once with Payne Stewart in the Trans-Miss amateur way back when. Also through random chance played a practice round with Corey Pavin in the Southwestern Amateur one year in Flagstaff. That was the year he WD'd in the second round (I think) because he was playing bad, got in his car and drove back to LA. Left his UCLA teammates stranded at the golf course with no way of getting back to the hotel, much less Los Angeles. Pavin and Stewart acted like spoiled brats back then and were not fun to play with.

Have played several times in junior golf with Bruce Lietzke. Also was paired with Brad Bryant in a big junior tournament years ago at Forest Cove in Humble. Both great guys.

BTW, Frank Beard's son Dan is a camerman for NBC and is one of the guys who does the hand-held shots from behind the players in the fairway. Dan is an excellent player and loves golf. He has some great stories as well. If you watch the US Open, Dan always draws Phil Mickelson's group when Phil is in contention.

Finally, through luck of the draw I got to play in an outing with Gary Blair a few years ago. One of the most fun days I've ever had playing golf. He's a pretty good player and loves golf.
Kjodie
Burton Gilliam from Blazing Saddles.

........" i don't hear nobody singin".......
Old School Brother
LP Ladouceur, deep snapper for the Cowboys....I walked Tenison Highlands with he and his wife a few years back. Just a random pairing on a Sunday afternoon.
superbowlringd
Lee Trevino's cousins nephews friend.
Unemployed
AG
God.

I cuss him out every time I'm out on the golf course.
chick79
AG
Pat Summerall at a charity tournament.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
No one famous, but I did play a round with a priest and didn't know it until 17 when his buddy told us what he did. I apologized for likely offending all religions at some point in the round and he chuckled and said "out here we are all golfers". He did take the beer we bought him.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.