Best driver? past and present

4,856 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Chipotlemonger
AggieLitigator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What's your favorite driver past and present?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Biggest game-changing driver for me was my first titanium driver, the Great Big Bertha. So that would have to be my all time fav.

Currently play Ping G15 and haven't found a reason to part with it.
ORAggieFan
Original Big Bertha. Played The Deuce back then. Hard to imagine a bigger game changer than that club.
Yesterday
AG
Steelhead and now playing the G-15
ColoradoMooseHerd
When I got the G5, that was the club. I have used multiple other drivers since, but the G5 was my favorite.
aggiebrother33
FTiQ Tour. Longest and straightest driver I've ever hit. I would still be playing it today if I didn't get so much crap for hitting it...second would be the Ping Anser.
1208HawkTree
AG
Can't limit my list to just two, but here's mine:

Lynx BOOM BOOM - my first "real" driver I got in HS. I had a women's persimmon model I got as a kid before that, so it was like night and day.

Callaway Great Big Bertha Ruger Titanium 8* - first Ti driver that I used, and I hit it all through college when I started getting really serious about golf. That thing was a cannon.

Titleist 975 J-VS with an x100 - this was the best all around driver I've ever hit. Maybe had something to do with the fact that I was playing 3-4 times a week at the time (and I was 15 years younger), but I've never been able to recreate that confidence in a driver. It was mindless and went forever.

TM r7 - game changing in a lot of ways, but it was just a fun club to hit when I got it dialed in, which I finally did after 3 different heads and countless shafts.

Ping Anser - best feeling head out there, hands down. It's a bomber.

TM SLDR - my current driver. Not as "hot" of a feeling as the Anser, but with my consistent low-heel miss, it performs very well for me. Really good on solid shots, just feels kind of dead, but I hit it because it performs.
1208HawkTree
AG
quote:
FTiQ Tour. Longest and straightest driver I've ever hit. I would still be playing it today if I didn't get so much crap for hitting it...second would be the Ping Anser.

They would only give you crap until they saw you hit it, then hit their second shots from 50+ yards behind you. Put that pink bimatrix in it and you'd have the ultimate "eff-you" club.
Icecream_Ag
S
Would go with the Yanex ADX (dont remember the exact model, but it was the green one) that was the first graphite shafted driver I owned

Next would be the Callaway Great Big Bertha, first titanium headed driver I've owned (still have it actually, just not in the bag)

Callaway FT-5. for all of the hype of the new technology, I hit this "ancient" beast just as far and with similar spin numbers as the latest offerings from Callaway and Nike.
tommeehawk7
Past : Powerbilt Citation Persimmon , natural honey finish , black cycolac insert , brass backweight.

Present: Ping Rapture {no adjustments} , adjustments are just marketing gimicks
EFE
AG
Past- Cobra that came out Circa 2002

Present-Ping G30, holy hell, I can't rave about this thing enough. Everything off the tee has been huge and it feels amazing through contact.
tommeehawk7
EagleFord , I dated myself. I think my Powerbilt came out in about 1970 !
EFE
AG
I've been dating myself for about a month now, I feel your pain. Sorry about your 40 year dryspell.
FatherGoose
AG
Past: Big Bertha -- my first real driver when I started playing in middle school. I could hit that thing off the tee, off the deck, out of the woods, everywhere.

Present: Callaway X460 8 Degree -- I know it's outdated technology wise but I can't seem to quit it. I've put some other drivers in the bag but just don't have the confidence with them that I do with the X460.
tommeehawk7
uhhhhhhhh , let me rephrase that , I showed my age.
KatyAg01
AG
Past: TM 300. Could hit a 20 yard mid-trajectory draw that would run forever (everything now is high trajectory/low spin with 5 yards of rollout, which sucks if your carry distance is in the 225-235 range like mine).

Present: haven't found anything I like (tried A LOT of them), but I don't play enough to be consistent, so I'm a poor judge of good clubs these days. Also would help tremendously to get fitted, but it's not worth it until I can play more often.
Unemployed
AG
Obviously, it's the Hammer X!!!

Zolex would be a close second.
jj9000
AG
quote:

The :43 Second Mark
jj9000
AG
quote:

Funky Winkerbean
AG
The Taylor Made Original One, the club that started it all.
DRE06
AG
Titleist 905T, released in 2004/2005
98Ag99Grad
AG
Past: Great Big Bertha for exact reasons Danny stated above. Loved that club. Used to be able to hit that club off the ground like a 3 wood.

Present: I still have a TM R11 in play, the first white headed one. Best driver I've ever owned but probably due to the shaft. First driver I was really fit for instead of just buying off the rack.

Sidenote- I had a "Boom Boom" too as a kid. I was huge Freddy fan growing-up. Think my dad still has it in the garage somewhere.
Robert Vollmert
Wow, some blasts from the past.

I too played a persimmon 1-3-5 until early high school. I remember moving to the Lynx Boom Boom and Adams' (?) The Judge. May not have been in that order. Those were awesome then, but I probably couldn't hit them now!

Got attached to Taylormade a while back and have loved the R11, 1 and now SLDR.
Old School Brother
My Ping Rapture V2 is my favorite driver past or present. I've been playing a R11S TP driver for a little bit now, but planning to move back to the Rapture.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Past: Taylormade Burner Plus, Like this. Actually, possibly the best drive of my life, distance and accuracy wise, was hit with this driver model. Hole #8 at Hancock in Austin. Blasted it over the crest in the fairway, knew I had hit it long and not far off line, so I just walked and looked. Kept walking and looking. Saw it no less than 15 yards from the front lip of the green. Skulled the chip OFF OF THE FRONT TIER OF THE GREEN. 3 putted for a damn bogey... My short game has been better ever since.
Present (can't get this **** under the TM photo): Can't decide.
jj9000
AG
Most Accurate - PING G15

Hottest - SLDR (and its not even close)
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea Ping G15 was my driver for years. May break it out for a throwback round or range session soon.
92TXAG
AG
quote:
quote:

OMG! LMAO!!! How have I never seen this??? Pure gold; the f'ing space shuttle...
jonj101
Off topic, but I may have just realized something for the first time - was that Hammer X commercial filmed at Arrowhead in Colorado?
The D
AG
Titleist 907 D2. Never hit a driver better than that one.
investorAg83
AG
Titleist 983k

For whatever reason, I can't seem to hit the newer drivers as consistent or far.
AggieT
AG
quote:
Titleist 907 D2. Never hit a driver better than that one.

Still in my bag. Can't bring myself to "upgrade".
AgDotCom
Recipe:

1 - Jack The Hammer teeing it up on the 18th at The Barclays, tied for the lead.

1,500 - drunk Jersey dudes in the gallery surrounding the tee.

Result: Armageddon

On topic, I haven't hit enough drivers to give an opinion on the "best", but since the topic also mentions "favorite", I'll give my two:

Past: Titleist 983E and 983K...the latter would be on a lot of lists. Both great but I like the E better.

Present: Mizzy MP-650, love it.

tommeehawk7
Chip , I know that hole and that course. I grew up playing junior golf at Hancock. I wonder if they still have an astroturf tee box on the par 3 , #2?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Hole 2 is a par 5 tommee...you're probably mistaking hole 1 and 2. I believe 1 has had an astroturf teebox at times because the grass/dirt gets so hardpan and beat up on top of that hill.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.