Beginner looking for a recommendation on clubs

1,809 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Chipotlemonger
DeWrecking Crew
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey guys, newbie to golf here, have mercy on me...I've taken no lessons, which I understand is probably the best place to start before buying clubs, but I'm retarded and just too impatient and like wasting money. Besides, that's akin to reading the instructions before putting something together.

Right now, I've just got some junker clubs that I picked up at a pawn shop, and here are the main things I've noticed. First and foremost, I've got the most ridiculous slice with the driver that everyone I have played with has ever seen. And they say it is a true slice, in that it takes off pretty straight, and by the time it is just about at its apex, it takes a very hard right. I've tried different drivers and balls that the other guys carry, and they all do the same thing to varying degrees. I recently tried an adjustable driver from Taylormade that a guy had in his bag, I'm not sure what he adjusted it to, but it was by far the best results I had, still sliced, but I only barely missed the fairway with that one( I say barely, but your barely I my barely are probably two different things). Anyway, as I go down in club, from the 3 Wd to the 5Wd, the slice gets less and less. Another takeaway, the best club I hit by far is the 5 iron, I don't know if it has to do with the length of the club or the pitch of the face or what, but it is hands down the club I get the best results with.

So, in my head, this is what I've surmised (probably incorrectly), besides the obvious incorrect swing that I have...being that the slice gets better with shorter clubs and the 5 iron is my best club, I'm thinking there is a sweet spot for the length of clubs. Is that totally ridiculous? I'm about 5'10".

Anyway, regardless, I need to at least stop getting laughed at with the clubs I'm carrying, and need to get some decent clubs. So the question is, before I just go out and buy some clubs, is there a way to shop for clubs by length of shaft (I don't really see anything on Google, the only thing I can find is that a Pro Shop can customize some)? If so, how? If not, given the characteristics of my play, what should be the key characteristics I should be looking for when shopping? Going to a simulator or something like that does me absolutely no good because I have no clue what I'm doing, and they all feel about the same, and for whatever reason the simulator completely downplays the amount of slice I have. Money is no object, but I'm told, in general, the more expensive the clubs the less forgiving they are, especially with slicing. So normally, in typical guy fashion, I'd just go out and buy something on the upper end and feel confident my new purchase was helping me and not hurting me, but I've been warned the opposite may be true here. You guys have any recommendations for guidelines I need to follow when shopping?
bdgol07
AG
The slice thing is normal and the more loft you have on a club the less slice, typically.

I would suggest some good quality cavity backed irons and some lessons. I wouldn't sink a whole bunch of money into it on the front end if you are going to learn "on the fly" without lessons.

As for a driver, I have a Taylormade R9 Supertri with a the adjustable head that I don't need anymore because I finally upgraded. I don't know the shaft specs off the top of my head but I can let you know later tonight if you are interested. $75 and I live in Huntsville and frequently go up and down I-45 to Corsicana and South of Houston
DeWrecking Crew
When you say that you don't know the "shaft specs" what does that mean? Is length one of the specs? What specs am I looking for? Do you ever come to College Station, I live in between Huntsville and CS?
agracer
AG
Your slice is because of your swing. Nothing more, nothing less. New clubs will not change that one bit, even if you get custom fit for them.

Get lessons, learn to swing the club properly. Unless you are carrying a set of old muscle back clubs, you are probably find with what you are playing.

If you want to burn a hole in your pocket, look at the Calloway Strata set for $199. It is a very good quality of club for a good price. Then, GET LESSONS...LOTS OF THEM.

I started playing again this past spring. I shot a 120 or something on the local course with my 25 yr old Sam's Club cavity back Wilson's. I got some decent TM used irons for $190, and a used 3W for $75. I also started taking lessons at Golfsmith (video lessons are a real plus). This past July, I shot three rounds in two weekends....88, 92, 87. I played for 20-years and stopped for about 10 before I picked up the game again. That's the best score I've ever shot in 30-years of playing golf and it was 110% because of the instruction I got.

Clubs are a tool. Yes, some are a lot better than others, but no matter how hard you try, your torque wrench is a crappy hammer and your hammer will NEVER work as a torque wrench.
DeWrecking Crew
I hear you...I know my swing is the real problem, that fact is not lost on me...and I will get some lessons eventually (even though I like using not having any instruction as a crutch for sucking so bad...lol). But I really do need some new clubs regardless. Let me put my current clubs into some perspective for you, my Woods are actually made of wood, people get a kick out of seeing them. And I just figure, I need some new clubs anyway, might as well get some advice on what to look for.
tommeehawk7
DeWrecking , whether you want to or not , GO GET A SERIES OF LESSONS ! Go ahead and buy some good sticks , then you'll know your equipment is a-okay. But you will flounder for a long long time without good lessons.
ORAggieFan
Agree about lessons, but having decent clubs vs. junkers is a good thing as well.

Go to a Golfsmith or similar and explain you're new and what you're looking for. I'm a fan of Adams cheaper stuff. You can get a few hyrids and iron set for about $300. Then you'd need a driver, maybe a fairway wood and putter.

Also, don't be afraid to look used, tons of quality stuff as things don't change that much year to year.

Go spend a few hundred on clubs and a few hundred more on lessons.
bdgol07
AG
Shaft specs as in weight and stiffness. I believe it's either stuff or extra stiff and the weight is 55 or 65 grams
Prexys Moon
AG
Ping G series irons are very solid and very forgiving. You can get a used set of the ones that were new a year or two ago for not much at all. I think the newest version is the g25? So go look for a used set of g20 or g15.
USGA77
AG
Agree with ORAggieFan's advice. There is a Golfsmith Superstore just south of the Woodlands on I-45. Go there and ask for some help. As others have said, you can buy used and save some money. They have a good selection of used clubs and you can perhaps pick up a bargain once you know what you like and what fits you.

WIth irons, there are three different types made. These 3 categories are called "players" irons, "game improvement" irons and "super game improvement" irons. You want the super game improvement irons and no doubt that is what they will show you, from several manufacturers.

For a driving club I suggest that you stick with either a 3 wood or a 12-14 degree lofted driver. You will hit a 3 wood straighter and longer until you get better.

For a putter, suggest that you look at mallet-type putters with a good deal of offset. Just find something that looks good and feels good. The person in the store will know what these terms mean and show you putters like that. In the store you can hit putts on their indoor putting green to get an idea of what feels good.

You might want to consider setting aside Saturday, October 25 and make the drive down to Swanson's driving range in Houston, which is just off FM 1960, east of 249. They are having a demo day, it's free, and you can hit every club made from just about any manufacturer, at a great outdoor range. The equipment reps are knowledgable and helpful. Get there early to avoid the crowds.

As others have said, concurrent with getting a decent set of beginner clubs, take some lessons. Otherwise you are wasting your time and money. Your slice is not a hard thing to fix and just about any teaching pro will get you out of it. Once you can learn to hook the golf ball on purpose, not only will your slice be gone, you will be on the way to becoming a good player.

gravy97
AG
better than paying for lessons... post some video of your swing and let TexAgs fix your swing for free!
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
better than paying for lessons... post some video of your swing and let TexAgs fix your swing for free!
WHOOP!'91
AG
My local pro cured my slice by changing my grip in a 30 minute lesson. My suggestion is go to one of those 1 hour each Saturday classes and get the basics, then one or two 30-minute lessons will get you on the right path. Learn how to do it, then practice doing it. I have a very inexpensive ($50/mo) membership at a local course that gives me unlimited range balls and $9 for 18 holes during twilight, which starts an hour early for this membership. So after 1 PM, I play for $9 including cart.

As for clubs, I would go with Adams. Their New Idea set is $800 online for the full set, look nice and are billed as game improvement clubs. I am a relative beginner and that's what I swing. Their Tight Lies and A012 clubs are cheaper and still decent. I figure these will be better than me for a while, then I can upgrade to the X2 Hots or Jet Speeds if and when my game warrants it.

ISEN AG
AG
quote:
Ping G series irons are very solid and very forgiving. You can get a used set of the ones that were new a year or two ago for not much at all. I think the newest version is the g25? So go look for a used set of g20 or g15.
What Moon said, I personally still play the G10 series and for a beginner a used set of ping G series might be the way to go.

That said and as everybody one eventually learns (even myself), no club can make up for a terrible swing. Breakdown and take a few lessons when its finically feasible.
cevans_40
AG
Find an old muscle-back 2 iron. Learn to hit that, and you can hit anything.
ISEN AG
AG
quote:
Find an old muscle-back 2 iron. Learn to hit that, and you can hit anything.
I still have a 2 iron in my bag from my first ever club set though its about to get replaced with the ping 2 driving iron.

Least forgiving club I have ever played but great for shots when I need a punt shot to get out of the trees.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I third Ping G irons. They are great and extremely durable. Used ones can be found for a good value in very playable conditions.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.