2014 Acura Champions Classic

1,819 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Chipotlemonger
Cabtex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Two things-

First, I'm heading to Pinehurst this weekend to play in ClubCorp's Champions Classic. Are there any other Ags going? I know some of you were playing for the opportunity, but I forgot to check back in.

Second, for anyone that has played Pinehurst No. 2, No. 4, or No. 8, any helpful tips other than "You must hit the CENTER of the green to keep it on"? That seems to be the most common recommendation.

Here's the link: http://www.clubcorp.com/Tournaments/Tournaments/Acura-ClubCorp-Champions-Classic.
Matsui
AG
I played all of those last year. Be sure to read all sides on putts on #2. When all else fails putt from off the green. Don't get lured into using your lob wedge.

The other courses are more normal in both approach and green complexes.
aggiebrother33
when I went we played 5 instead of 4 so can't help you there(almost won it, missed by 1 shot). #2 has also changed also but the greens I think are the same. My best advice is make sure to hit the fairways, the greens are pretty firm so having spin is a good thing. Even if you are 10-20 yards farther because most pins will have a 15 foot circle you can land, if not off the green.

Course #8 is my actual favorite one, holes #1 and #4 cut off a lot more of the corner than you think and #3 hit an extra club. The next par 3 and 5 are the prettiest holes in the entire resort.

Hit up Dugans afterward for beer, play well and have fun. Still the best golf memories of my life.
Cabtex
AG
The trip was a blast. We had a great time and enjoyed some amazing weather/golf. Weird fact. They don't sell liqour in the bev cart just beer. Ended up middle of the pack for the tourney, but we won a skin and some maui jim's. Fiance won longest drive. We played No 4 twice, No 2, No 8, and stuck around an extra day to play No 5.

Here's a couple of pics.

#18 Pinehurst No 5

#18 Pinehurst No 8

#18 Pinehurst No 2
aggiebrother33
Glad you had a good trip! Something you will always remember, what did you think of the courses/hotel?

If it was anything like when we went a couple years ago they really know how to put on a tournament. Pretty amazing they get your clubs at the airport and they are everywhere you are until you get back home. #2 looks more green than it did on tv. Thanks for the pics!
Cabtex
AG
I enjoyed 4 and 8 the most. 2 was cool for the history, but the length of the round took away most of the awesomeness of it (7 hours). They double stacked every tee. In comparison, we played No 5 in 3.5. 5 was easy, but a good way to make me feel like I could still play golf after the beat down of 2.

The tourney was very well run besides the long round on 2. Bags were taken from us at the airport and moved around with scary effectiveness. Food was delicious, and the rooms weren't too bad. Just an old school B&B since we stayed at the Carolina. People that stayed at the condos seemed to really enjoy it.
aggiebrother33
yeah,#2 takes forever since it is cart path only but 7 hours wow, that hurts. # 8 was by far my favorite as well, such a great piece of property and Fazio did a great job designing. The condos were nice, but I preferred the Carolina when I went. Still mad I didn't get a putter boy trophy, glad to see they are still giving good prizes for skins. Cash for the pro and MJ sunglasses. I would like to go back on either a guys trip or couples to play the others I didn't get the chance to. Still my most memorable trip, so glad ClubCorp decided to go back there, Barton Creek was not the same.

What club did you guys go from?
Cabtex
AG
We went with the Downtown Club of Houston. It doesn't have a course assigned to it and not many of the members play golf, so we were the only people that signed up for the trip. We lucked out, but it was a great trip.

Apparently, they are having a couples trip to Whistling Straights in 2015 too.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I for one love the changes made to #2. Reminds me a little bit of Plum Creek down in Kyle.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.