The key to the 2014 Ryder Cup will be........

636 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by tommeehawk7
tommeehawk7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Whoever plays the best will win , and I don't think the captains have jack s**t to do with it.

Azinger's "pods" didn't win it for us , making putts won it for us.
Bunk Moreland
Hey John Madden, will you go over to the A&M Football board and post that the key to this weekend's football game will be the team who scores the most points will win? Thanks!
Aggie1391
tommeehawk7
The coach has a lot to do with winning a football game , we are talking about golf here.And when it comes to the Ryder Cup I don't think it matters one bit who the coach is. Or at least it doesn't matter much.
ORAggieFan
Pairings matter. Players have strengths and weaknesses. I could write a lot more on it but for you it's not worth my time.
tommeehawk7
Sure pairings matter , I get that. Dude I have been a player and student of this game and it's history for 48 years.
The players could work out their own pairings.

Obviously I am underrating the captain's role a little bit. But when we win or lose and the captain gets a ton of praise or blame , I guess that's what I disagree with.

For instance , Ben Crenshaw gets mucho love for the great american comeback in 1999. If he was so awesome as a captain how come he let them get so far down?
jj9000
AG
quote:
Hey John Madden, will you go over to the A&M Football board and post that the key to this weekend's football game will be the team who scores the most points will win? Thanks!
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Deluxe
AG
That's mostly true, but I do think captain decision-making matters.

A pivotal turning point in the 2012 Ryder Cup came after the Saturday morning matches. With the Euros down 8-4, Olazabal decided to bench McDowell (who was playing poorly) and pair McIlroy with Poulter. Up until that point, I believe McIlroy had only played with McDowell in his Ryder cup career.

Meanwhile, Love stuck to his strategy of giving each team a rest and sat Mickelson/Bradley, who were on fire. At the very least, Love should have benched Stricker (who was playing worse than McDowell), sat Mickelson, and let Bradley play with Tiger (who played awesome on Friday and Saturday afternoon).

We all know what happened next. McIlroy and Poulter birdied the last six holes to comeback and beat Dufner and Z Johnson. Meanwhile, with no help from Stricker, Tiger almost single-handedly pulled out a halve against Garcia and Donald, but came up short.

Obviously there were 100 other factors that went into the Europe comeback, that that was an area where the captains made a difference.
tommeehawk7
Good points Deluxe. Thanks for making them without being rude. The younger generation here often do not respect others.
LeFraud
Its damn near impossible to respect anything you type on this forum

O/u on how many tommee threads related to the ryder cup this week?
ORAggieFan
quote:
Its damn near impossible to respect anything you type on this forum

Truer words have never been spoken.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
O/u on how many tommee threads related to the ryder cup this week?

tommeehawk7
You guys are right , I forgot. The only post appreciated here are "I just broke.........for the 1st time" and "anyone know a good course near..........."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.