Whispering Pines

1,758 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by cheeky
MarkPro
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well I got invited to play at Whispering Pines this morning, and it's everything it's cracked up to be. Thankfully I got some good advice from the member I was riding with. He basically told me where to hit it, how far to hit it, and which side of the flag to hit it to. The greens were very fast and VERY firm. It was hard to find pitch marks a lot of times. I think I only 3 putted once, on the second hole. It's hard to putt on greens like that when you've become accustomed to having to hit it firmly, but I sure do like those fast greens. I shot 38 on the front, and was cruising along on the back at four over when we got to 18. I hit my drive in the fairway, and had about 170 to a green with a large false front. Bladed it! Walked up and dropped at 100 yards, hit a good wedge just a tad short and watched it roll back into the water. Yikes, knocked the next one on, and 2 putted for a snowman and an 82.

Overall a great experience, and if you are lucky enough to get invited, don't pass it up. There are three holes on the back along a creek that are really cool. One par 4, and back to back par 3's.
Codeno
AG
Here are some pictures MarkPro took.

bagger05
AG
I need richer friends.
magnoliaag
I had an opportunity to play last year. It is as advertised, great. Awesome greens and rarely see players in front or behind you.
booradley
AG
thanks for the recap. i'm playing there on October 17 for the first time... looking forward to it...
Chipotlemonger
AG
Good lord that course.
Bobby O`Shea
turfaggie24
AG
How do I get on? This would be bucket list for me.
magnoliaag
Be a member (super wealthy) or know a member.
cevans_40
AG
Did you guys play the par 3 course? Thoughts?
WHOOP!'91
AG
I played Whistler and the full course. Have a cousin who's a member! Very nice course indeed. ProV1 practice balls and first class all the way.

We played Whistler because it was fully cart pathed, the course isn't, and it had been raining. I didn't really care for it; its not even really "par 3" its just a set of very short holes. Its interesting that you can tee off from any of about 4 or 5 boxes, but none of them are longer than 200 yds on any hole. I brought my long sticks and want to swing them!

Unfortunately, I suck at golf, but I did have a very good time.

clintaggie04
AG
I have played there roughly 20 times. It amazes me every time I go out there how nice it is.
Hanrahan
AG
You don't need to be wealthy. Just need 12k a year, half of which is tax deductible... all of if you don't use it.
bagger05
AG
I'm not there yet but that sounds very reasonable.
Ag_07
AG
That's what I thought...Then you think about how far away it is to anything. It would be hard to drive 2 hours every weekend to play.

Now if I lived in the Conroe or Huntsville area it would be an option someday. I have buddies who have weekend homes and deer leases down that creek who are up there every weekend. I could guarantee I'd be all over it if that were the case.
jonj101
I went out there when they did the Spirit tournament last time. Even had a random run in with Corby who was a pretty nice guy. I walked most of the course watching the players, and even walked the par 3 with that huge green that has a bunker next to it that's about 10-12 feet below it.

Its amazing how beautiful that place is. I hope to play it someday.
WHOOP!'91
AG
The $12K is reasonable, but you get a certain number of rounds for that. You can buy more rounds, but I don't know how many you get for the $12K or how much additional rounds cost.
garym2001
AG
You get 36 rounds for $12k and can buy more if you run out. It's only open about 20 weeks/yr. The par 3 course is awesome.
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
Playing there Friday.
clintaggie04
AG
I think it is 40 rounds for the 12K, but it might be 36. I do know that a foursome counts as four rounds, not one.
Gig-Em2003
AG
FYI, not just anyone can sign up to join. Have to know people.

And to whoever dogged on the par 3, I don't know if there is a more fun way to spend an hour than playing the short course there. It's awesome.
bagger05
AG
Everyone on the TexAgs golf board knows I'm cool, so when the time comes I'll just get one of y'all to vouch for me.
Westicles
AG
Sam, mind if I hitch a ride with you out there Friday?

Wait, I'm invited right?
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
I was lucky enough to get on myself, sorry Westies. Greens were rolling 12 on Friday (per the cart pin placement insert), and our caddy said they'd be at least a foot faster for the member/guest on Sunday.

Fantastic golf course, facilities and overall grounds. Impressive place.
Lukeno
AG
Very nice Markpro
cheeky
AG
my scoring average on 18 is 3.00
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.