Wolfdancer Golf club

1,110 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by bqce
JP_Losman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone on here played this course near Bastrop?
looking to possibly play in a week and wanting review of the condition and level of difficulty.
It looks nice on the gallery of pics from the website.
agfan2013
AG
http://texags.com/forums/60/topics/2429943

http://texags.com/forums/60/topics/2499886

http://texags.com/forums/60/topics/2493745
voorheesdn
AG
It is a great course, great facilities and the best part honestly is how friendly the staff is. Enjoy it!!
CapCity12thMan
AG
Play it. Great course
93MarineHorn
I'm going to have to kinda disagree with others. I played it back in early March and it was in poor shape. The bunkers, of which there are hundreds, were in terrible condition. They ran out of food by 1pm and Bud f'ing Lites were $6. The staff is friendly, but like many resorts, they charge you A LOT, for anything. Also, the bar in the club house closed at 5:30pm, on SATURDAY. Range balls had to be purchased separately and they came in a little bag; really chickensh/t for a course charging that much in green fees. Would not recommend.
CapCity12thMan
AG
it's a Hyatt Resort so you should expect to pay higher prices for beer and such...just the nature of the venue.

The range balls thing - you need to negotiate more. Just tell them exactly what you typed - for the cost of the green fee you should feel range balls are included. They will usually hand you a bag or two. I do this no matter where I play.

Running out of food by 1PM - odd. they ran out of everything or just the stuff you wanted?

I've played out there 6-8 times and never had issues.
93MarineHorn
CapCity - It could have just been a bad day. They ran out of solid food, no sandwiches, hot dogs...just snacks like crackers. I've never negotiated for range balls, never occurred to me but perhaps I will going forward if I'm playing a course with fees over $50.
nickel
Fun course to play. Unless you're a low single digit, don't get brave playing all the way back. Move up a tee or two. Take time to "look" at the greens before hitting your approach shots. If you don't keep it below the hole, expect multiple three-putts.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I have a buddy that ALWAYS negotiates his green fee it seems. It has worked at Wolfdancer. There is a standing coupon on texasgolfon.com for I think $89 and you can get deals - even on weekend rates - on 512golf and golfnow...they are buried in at certain days times.

I think last time we played wolfdancer they wanted 129 and my friend said "I can;t pay 129 to play this course. Look at the greens" (they weren't that bad. Dude in the shop gave him a twilight rate of 59 or 89 if I remember. Maybe it is just him, but he does this a lot - just tells the shop their course is nice but not worth the fees they charge and I swear it seems like he always pays less.
Yesterday
AG
quote:
I'm going to have to kinda disagree with others. I played it back in early March and it was in poor shape. The bunkers, of which there are hundreds, were in terrible condition. They ran out of food by 1pm and Bud f'ing Lites were $6. The staff is friendly, but like many resorts, they charge you A LOT, for anything. Also, the bar in the club house closed at 5:30pm, on SATURDAY. Range balls had to be purchased separately and they came in a little bag; really chickensh/t for a course charging that much in green fees. Would not recommend.
That's very odd considering range balls were always complimentary and placed in a pyramid stack out on the range. I've played it at least 10 times and never paid for range balls.
GIF Reactor
AG
Played there once. Fairways were in great shape, bunkers were in terrible shape, and they had recently punched the greens. Range balls were extra and as previously stated, came in a small bag. I'd play it again, but there are other courses I'd like to try out first.
stick93
AG
Range balls have been extra each time I have played there. And not being able to have a beer while settling up bets, etc is a bit frustrating. But it is a resort. If they made beer cheaper everyone would leave the lazy river and go sit at the bar over at the golf course.

But I enjoy the course as a sadistic change of pace. As an aside, we have grabbed a 4 for $165 special twice in the past few months on golfnow. Best part is no restrictions on day or time.
Yesterday
AG
Interesting. Maybe i'm the odd one.
93MarineHorn
03 - I think it used to be as you describe. When I first played there many years ago range balls were complimentary and in nice pyramids. The course was in great condition back then as well. Hopefully they will turn things around. It was early March when I played, so I shouldn't have expected great conditions. The range balls and running out of food just made me think the place is now poorly managed.
bqce
AG
I was a member there for a while. They used to have range balls in the pygmy golf bags. One of the pros told me it was too hard to maintain those so they went to the green mesh bags they give you at the pro shop. Except when they punch the greens, it's usually in decent shape, even when it's really dry. It can be a fun course, but as mentioned, if you don't keep the ball below the hole, you'll be wanting a dozen of those $6 beers.

Speaking of running out of food, I remember once they ran out of Crown (beverage cart and club bar) and the guy I was riding with has to have Crown to play golf. I'm pretty sure that was the longest round of golf he's ever played.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.