Rory makes 55 10' putts in a row!

1,391 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Yesterday
Yesterday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those of you who have tried the ultimate practice routine know how hard it is to drain 25 3' putts in a row, but how about 55 10' putts? Damn.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-devil-ball-golf/watch-rory-mcilroy-drain-55-putts-in-a-row-at-the-tour-championship-170907589.html
Unemployed
AG
Meh...he putted from the same spot for each attempt. It's kinda impressive but I'm sure a lot of pros can do that.
bqce
AG
Well, the guys who follow golf very closely were impressed with it, so I'm very impressed as well. As the pro golf promo says, "These guys are good!"
1208HawkTree
AG
Are the 25 3' putts from the same spot, or around the hole from multiple locations? 55 10-footers from the same spot is likely easier than 25 3-footers from multiple locations. Is what Rory did amazing, yes, but if you roll the ball over and over from the same spot in a straight putt, you'll start to form a "track" in the grass (he was using an eye line mirror, so the putts were all on the exact same spot to begin). Again, 55 in a row is very good, but a decent putter could approach this with the same setup. I think my record is 25 or 30 using essentially the same mirror on a similar length straight putt. Was it 55? No, but I also work for a living...
HouAggie
AG
I likely can't even two-putt 55 straight times from that distance.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
55 10-footers from the same spot is likely easier than 25 3-footers from multiple locations.

I beg to differ.
Yesterday
AG
Well I thought it was impressive.
dbtexasag05
It's impressive.

I would say if you are not impressed you have never attempted those drills.
1208HawkTree
AG
quote:
I likely can't even two-putt 55 straight times from that distance.

Not with that attitude you can't.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Never said it wasn't impressive. But making 3 foot putts is exponentially easier than 10 footers.
1208HawkTree
AG
I'd also have to qualify what I said by saying the surface in question would play a big part. Consistency/irregularity of the surface plays a part - I would say Rory making 55 in a row at East Lake = making 25 in a row at most public courses with the same setup.

Give me a flat, straight 10-footer over a 3-footer with a couple inches of break anyday. What I'm assuming is that the 3' drill mentioned is probably similar to what Phil does, placing multiple balls around the hole, 3' away. If there is any slope at all in that scenario, I'd put my money on making more consecutive flat, straight 10-footers over consecutive 3-footers from "around" a cup.

When I practice putting, I will often use a similar setup, with an eyeline mirror and a chalk line. After settling on a spot that's actually straight (probably the toughest part), it doesn't take long to get in a groove and it starts to become very easy. If you notice, in each four ball set, he doesn't even move his feet between shots, which can't be said for the 3' drill (not to mention the lack of the training aid).
agsalaska
AG
quote:
I'd also have to qualify what I said by saying the surface in question would play a big part.

This is a HUGE factor. For those of us that do not play on tournament quality greens every day making 55 10 foot putts in a row would be impossible. I play most of my golf at Grapevine Muni and as nice as those greens usually are they are not consistent enough to do that. Rio Secco was but Grapevine here and Memorial Park when I lived in Houston are not.
Yesterday
AG
quote:
Give me a flat, straight 10-footer over a 3-footer with a couple inches of break anyday.

2" of break on a 3' putt is pretty extreme.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.