FedEx Cup

890 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Unemployed
Westicles
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can someone explain this thing to me? I have nothing against Billy Horschel, but is he really the "best player" this year because he got hot late? He's won twice now this year, has 5 top 10s and only 12 top 25s.

Meanwhile, Rory has 3 wins, 2 of which are majors, 12 top 10s and 17 top 25s. How in any format worth a sheet is Horschel's 2014 resume better than Rory's?
birdman
I like it. It gives the end of season a purpose.

I wish they more of these mini-tourneys. Combine the Texas events. Same thing, a point system. Side purse goes to guy with most points after all the Texas events.
LeFraud
That's why they're called the playoffs. The best team doesn't always win the superbowl or the final four. Rory will still be named player of the year later this month, he just didn't win the playoffs and the HUGE payout.
bigfoot10s
AG
FedEx PLAYOFFS

What else do you need to know?
DannyDuberstein
AG
It's a little goofy, but at least for me, it has made these post-PGA tournaments more interesting. And to have that happen, it needs the flexibility for guys to move up/down quickly. So I'm good with it. We all know Rory is and will be the player of the year, but it's nice to have something like this that can still be contested in the last month of action.
antman8504
AG
In other sports, how many teams with the regular season best record don't win the playoffs? How is it that hard to understand?

the regular season is just to get into the playoffs and then you have to win in the playoffs. It was kind of strange a couple years ago when Rory had two playoff wins and then didn't win it, but this year he did not win in the playoffs, where Billy won twice.
Yesterday
AG
It's pretty much a format to see who's hot at the end of the year. I think the money is awesome but I don't put much respect on the title.
Westicles
AG
Ahhh... The playoffs offer 5 times the points than a regular season tourney. I wasn't aware when I started this thread. Makes much more sense that a guy with an average regular season could end up winning. Sorry for being a dumb ass, gents.

http://www.pgatour.com/fedexcup/fedexcup-overview.html
CapCity12thMan
AG
If they don't do it this way, nobody would show up because they don't have a chance at winning. Horschel was apparently 80-something in points going into the playoffs. Equivalent of a 12-seed winning the NCAA basketball tourney.
Chipotlemonger
AG
If you look at it as a month-long survivor tournament composed of the best 125 golfers on American soil in a given year, then a dark horse run by an average golfer all year makes more sense.

No one is arguing that he had a better year than Rory...let alone probably Kaymer had a better year as well.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Feinstien had an interesting proposal on GC the other day. Crown a regular season champ then have the top 125 play every playoff event starting from zero points. then after the BMW, take the top 30 from those events to the Tour Championship. Everyone starts at zero again for that tourney and then a winner is crowned. He argued that was more of a playoff than what we have now.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Given how much they weight the playoff points, that's not that far from what they have now. The winner of the Tour Championship has won the FedEx Cup for 5 years and running now.

And I don't think you need a "regular season" champ. The Player of the Year award basically covers that already.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Exactly my thoughts too, DannyDub
Unemployed
AG
Too bad Watson can't replace Hunter Mahan and Webb Simpson with Billy Horschel and Ryan Palmer/Chris Kirk on the Ryder Cup.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.