Callaway Big Bertha Alpha

2,349 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by stick93
FatherGoose
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is anybody playing this? I had this suggested by the guys at Golfsmith over the SLDR. My driver swing speed is in the 105-112 range and they said they've seen better results with it at that speed than the SLDR. I would love to hear opinions if anybody is playing it.
Oknows
AG
Played with a guy who was using one a few months back. Was absolutely crushing the ball and it sounded different than any other driver I've heard. Went to Golfsmith and hit a few balls with one and had to put it down before I dropped $400 on it since I just got an R1 a couple weeks before.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Played with a guy who was using one a few months back. Was absolutely crushing the ball and it sounded different than any other driver I've heard. Went to Golfsmith and hit a few balls with one and had to put it down before I dropped $400 on it since I just got an R1 a couple weeks before.

Smart move. I did a similar demo once and didn't have the willpower to not buy my 2nd driver a month after another purchase.
jj9000
AG
quote:
I had this suggested by the guys at Golfsmith over the SLDR. My driver swing speed is in the 105-112 range and they said they've seen better results with it at that speed than the SLDR.

I've hit one with a Fubuki shaft and its a great driver. It probably fits a broader range of players than the SLDR does.

I will say this though, take what the guys say at GolfSmith with a grain of salt, regardless of what they're recommending.

If you were hitting a Cobra Bio Cell, a GolfSmith sales guy would tell you it's the best selling driver by a 2:1 margin and it fits you perfectly. I've heard some asinine comments coming from GolfSmith employees.

Also, what he won't tell you is that his launch monitor is juiced with a 20 MPH tailwind. There's no coincidence why I was hitting my 6 iron I took into GolfSmith over 205 yards last weekend.

Lastly, GolfSmith isn't the only retailer that does this.

Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
Also, what he won't tell you is that his launch monitor is juiced with a 20 MPH tailwind. There's no coincidence why I was hitting my 6 iron I took into GolfSmith over 205 yards last weekend.
any time I've been one of their simulators, the distance was pretty similar to on course numbers. Golf Galaxy was horribly juiced the last time I hit there though, that and the employees that told me they "literally cant sell you any irons because you dont hit the ball high enough"
dbtexasag05
Ice,

Seriously?

When I bought my pings I was hitting a 7 iron 220. I laughed at the guy when he said, "man you crush these things".
Icecream_Ag
S
any time I hit in them, the numbers match. I hit 6 iron about 170 and was hitting it about 172 in their monitors.

Driver I hit with a 240ish carry on course and similar on their monitors.

maybe its just this location, or that I clear everything and only have a sales guy look when I have a question on numbers.
FatherGoose
AG
Well I guess I'm going to go pull the trigger on the Alpha. I really liked the spin rates with the gravity weight down. My gamer is already a Callaway that I've been playing for a number of years so hopefully it's a smooth transition. I'll post some feedback once I get some rounds under my belt.
cochrum
AG
I bought the driver off of eBay for 289 with taxes and shipping. Brand new. Now is it the real thing. ..I hope so. They said it was.
proudaggie02
AG
Just make sure to check the altitude & wind settings on the launch monitors.
Yesterday
AG
Coch, you can check with callway. They'll let you know by the model and serial number. I've actually heard of them buying back counterfeit products. That said, most products have a limit on what retailers can sell their products for so if you bought it for far less than retail you may want to check it out.
cochrum
AG
Thanks 03, I will do that.
pookbck
AG
I've got five rounds under my belt with my Alpha. Consistently hitting the ball 15-20 yards longer. Love that it actually feels like it has a little weight compared to the swinging air effect of last TM. Also it doesn't sound like I'm hitting pea gravel with an old TPX.
C ROC N
I won a custom Alpha driver in the Kings of Distance Long Drive contest at the Woodlands CC during the Shell Houston Open. I love the fact that it's comes with all the different weight inserts so you can taylor it to your swing. During the competition, I used the stock fubuki x-stiff shaft which for me is still a bit soft at the tip, but compared to the other manufacturers is an upgrade except for maybe the Ping project shafts. I was able to customize mine with an 'Ahina x-stiff 80 gram shaft tipped 1 inch. An absolute tack driver for me with a lot more control and consistent distance. It added a good 15-20 yards easy to my distance off the tee. Par 5's are really just long par 4's now. My only complaint is that I had to send the shaft back because the sleeve started coming loose, but they shipped one overnight for free. 5 star driver!
FatherGoose
AG
I'm about 7 rounds into my Big Bertha Alpha and I really couldn't be happier. Noticeably longer. I can't really claim 20+ yard increase but it's definitely longer not only off good shots but also off mi****s. It's definitely got a lower more less spin trajectory. Definitely worth giving a chance for those looking for a new driver.
stick93
AG
I switched from the R1 to the Alpha about 3 weeks ago. I'm not sure it is longer if each was hit flush. But the Alpha is much more consistent for me and considerably longer on slight mis hits. There have been several shots where I felt I had missed slightly toward the toe and the ball just runs out like crazy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.