First year of golf progress report.

1,125 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Cabtex
khaos288
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well gents. I casually played (a couple times a year with friends) for 5 years, and have finally decided to start keeping score.

This year I've played 19 rounds of 18 and 6 rounds of 9. My worst score being 120+ for 18, and 67 for 9.

I bought some TaylorMade burner 2.0s, a Razr extreme driver, and a Colloway diablo hyrbid 3, and oddysey putter to force myself to take it a little more seriously. I took a few lessons to help with my swing, and straighten out my drive, and I have made some pretty good progress.

I broke 50 on 9 two weeks ago, and did it again this weekend (47 and 49 respectively). While I haven't quite broke 100 yet (105 being my closest), I am pretty sure I've had more fun playing than anything since soccer in highschool. It's safe to say that I've found my new hobby.

My questions for all you lifers: How often do you buy new clubs? How often do you still lose a ball? Do you ever take trips just to get to nice courses, or do you take clubs with you on trips to hit a course while already out?

bagger05
AG
Not a lifer, but I started playing for real about 6-7 years ago and I play quite a bit now. I think so far this year I've played 35-40 rounds.

How often do I buy new clubs:
Not that often. Once I actually filled out my bag with non Wal-Mart clubs (used irons, a like-new R11 driver from the GolfWRX BST, some fire-sale hybrids and putter) I didn't really "upgrade" anything for a while. In the 6-7 years I've been playing frequently I've replaced my irons, driver, and sand wedge once. Still using the same putter and hybrids I was back when I started out. I used to not carry a 3-wood but I just got one at Christmas when I got new irons. I don't think I'll get rid of anything in my bag for a while. Some people really like new gear and that is part of the fun for them. I'm not one of those people really, but it's your money and your game. I say as long as you don't fool yourself into thinking that new gear is going to fix your swing then if you've got the money and you want to buy new clubs then go for it.

Bang for your buck, the best money to spend on your game is going to be lessons 99.9% of the time. Your instructor will usually let you know if your equipment is holding you back. But I have played with people who will go get new equipment on basically a monthly basis and they just love having new gear. Be honest with yourself and remember that new clubs won't fix your swing, but if you really want new clubs then getting lessons won't scratch that itch.

How often do I lose a ball:
I'm an 11 handicap. It still happens. My home course isn't very tight and there's not too much trouble out there. I'd say probably every other round I'll lose a ball in a hazard. Maybe slightly more often than that. It's getting more rare that I slice one into the neighborhood but that happens sometimes, too.

Golf while traveling:
I've taken a few trips specifically for playing golf. Once to play the Torrey Pines courses over a weekend, once to play the RTJ courses on my way to the Masters. My buddy and I are planning on going to Scotland this spring. It's a blast if you've got a good golf buddy with you. If I'm traveling for business or just for fun I will usually scout things out in advance and take my clubs if there's a course that looks fun that I want to play. I recommend getting a ClubGlove soft-sided travel bag and a Stiff Arm. Works great and the hard-sided cases can be incompatible with rental cars sometimes.
agfan2013
AG
quote:
How often do you buy new clubs?

Not very. I've seen guys that buy new stuff way too often and to me it introduces a new variable into your game, which is definitely not good when trying to improve and gain consistency. Too many times guys blame their clubs, and are constantly buying new equipment so they never get a chance to get adjusted to what they have. I'm on my second set in 6 or so years.

quote:
How often do you still lose a ball?

Not nearly as much as I used to. Used to be an avg of 3 or 4 a round. Now it's probably one or less. And when I lose them, it's usually not a horrible shot, just in some tall rough that I can't find it in or we are trying to play a good speed since people are behind us. And I can't find it in a minute or less.

quote:
Do you ever take trips just to get to nice courses, or do you take clubs with you on trips to hit a course while already out?

Definitely both. Me and the buds will sometimes plan out a gambling trip that will involve golf and purposely go places near nice courses. But if it's a vacation with the family I just pack them along just incase we get bored on vacation and look for somewhere to play.

Congrats, golf is always fun to me whether I'm hitting it well or not, but it is a lot more fun when things are going your way. I definitely wanted to hit the course more often as my game grew better and my confidence rose. Keep it up.
Nom de Plume
AG
I've played 25 years. 7 index. I buy a driver and irons when I see fit, usually every 3 years ish. Depending on the course, I'll lose between 1 and 8 balls. I always have clubs in my car, and while I don't travel to play nice courses I will play nice courses when I travel.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I just bought new clubs last year for the first time since 1997, so my club change frequency is pretty low. I do rotate wedges a lot since they lose grooves. Probably once every two years. I will probably change clubs again when I feel it is time to do so, rather than stick with what I know for so long. I do feel hanging on to those older clubs, as much as I liked them held my game back some.

I lose a ball once every 3 rounds

I only play golf when I travel if I have time to do so...too much of pain otherwise.
Icecream_Ag
S
I've been playing for 25ish years and am on my 4th set of irons, maybe 6 drivers and 5 putters. My current driver is 10 years old and I get similar numbers on a launch simulator to the latest greatest drivers on the market with it still.

I'm weird with losing balls. I'll play a course like Wood Forest and not lose any balls, then I'll lose an entire freaking box playing Pecan Lakes.

I generally have my clubs if I'm driving, but dont get to play much when travelling unless the trip is golf specific.
AgPrognosticator
AG
Nom sounding like the most interesting man in the world.
watty
AG
I'm a 13 and my home course has water or OB or both on all 18 holes. I've still never played a round there without losing at least one ball.
khaos288
AG
Thanks for all the great replies y'all!

I have to admit, the golf culture seems really friendly, and even on those bad days I still have a ton of fun. I shot a 52 on my last hole of the front 9 the other day with a 7 on 18, and at first was a little upset. Then, I realized if I could have shot that same game and coupled it with my 47 on the back 9 of the same course the week before I'd break 100.
Cabtex
AG
Khaos hit me up if you're in Houston or make it down to the motherland for a game, and we can play.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.