Played Torrey Pines North Saturday

2,936 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by OA_02
ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lived in San Diego six years but just been back into golf for two months. Played Saturday morning for the awesome resident price of $50 (plus cart). Really enjoyed the course. Great pace, never waiting and group behind not waiting on us. Little foggy but it broke, although we had played most of the ocean holes before it broke.

The Kikuyu rough grabs the club like you're hitting into glue when you're in the rough, even when not long. The greens are small and the pin placements were just brutal. Had my best round since coming back though with five pars.

Some pics
Looking from the 1st fairway

2nd tee box

The signature 6th hole. One of my pars.

7th hole, final hole near the ocean

Tee box on 8

From the 15th tee

17th tee and only hole with any water. Of course I went in it.

Can't remember what hole
bagger05
AG
Loved the North. That tee shot on 6th was one of the coolest tee shots I've ever hit.
dcrewint
Chipotlemonger
Matsui
ORAggieFan
Playing the South on Monday with my dad visiting. Can't wait!

Funny thing is it was harder to get this Monday tee time than the Saturday one I got a few weeks ago. 55 tries dialing in and North wasn't even available. Luckily got it worked out.
KatyAg01
AG
Kikuyu grass? More like Ki-screwyou grass, amirite? Hated that stuff. Great pics, BTW
ORAggieFan
Got out yesterday to the North course. Today is the last day to play before it closes for the Farmers.

Holy crap, it was tough. Greens are normally fast, they were flying. Even worse is the rough though. No idea how those guys can hit out of it at all. I had a few shots where 15 feet wasn't bad. 6 inches deep, club barely moving when I get to the ball. Brutal.
BigHitterDaLama
OR, I played the South Championship Course friday mid morning.....it was price ($229) but I wanted to get in 18 and Im an OC resident. Also playing it in code to Farmers tourney condition is a plus.

We played the white tees at around 6700 yards. Current index is a 6.8 and I shot an 89. The greens were not as fast as last year when I played right after Farmers but the rough was brutal. I was driving the ball very well for average joe player but i had a few run offs into the first cut.....at least 6 times I couldn't find my ball a foot off the fairway and needed an extra set of eyes to help me walk lines.

Playing that course makes me a.) appreciate the ability of Tour players these days with there length and short game play and b.) really makes me appreciate what Tiger did there on a bad leg in 2008. That is a tough course to walk and he did it five straight days on a cracked leg and beat the best in the world....kudos.

ORAggieFan
If you're interested in playing with a hack on a weekday I will be traveling to/from LA often and would love to get in a round in OC.
OA_02
AG
Played Pelican Hill in Newport Beach last weekend. It was incredible.
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
quote:
Played Pelican Hill in Newport Beach last weekend. It was incredible.
I stayed at the Marriott up on the hill there last yr and that course looked sick. I think it was like $400 even at twilight and my wife isn't a serious golfer so I couldn't justify it...but someday I will play it.
ORAggieFan
Really want to play Pelican. One of these days....
OA_02
AG
I think our twilight fee was 170. Its a little more than I'd like to pay, but pretty darned reasonable considering it is pretty much on par with Pebble in my book.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.