Ryder Cup current standings

7,702 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by 98Ag99Grad
JP_Losman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Bubba Watson
Jimmy Walker
Dustin Johnson
Matt Kuchar
Jordan Speith
Jim Furyk
Rickie Fowler
Jason Dufner
Patrick Reed

vs

Dubuisson
Garcia
McIlroy
Kaymer
Rose
Bjorn
Stenson
Donaldson
Donald
DannyDuberstein
AG
I can't say I like our chances right now.
HouAggie
AG
To me, Europe looks stronger in the top half (McIlroy, Rose, Stenson, Garcia, Kaymer at this moment), but USA has more depth. Rose and Stenson aren't great putters though and that's a big equalizer in match play.

I think it would be a good match, but home field might give Europe the edge.

[This message has been edited by Houaggie (edited 7/10/2014 7:01a).]
diehard03
quote:
I think it would be a good match, but home field might give Europe the edge

That and the whole "tie" thing.
Ag_07
AG
This doesn't even look close. I think Europe would win handily.
98Ag99Grad
AG
How many times did the US look awesome on paper only to have our asses kicked? You never know what will happen with match play.
Ag_07
AG
True but that can be said of any team or sporting event. If you want to discuss and analyze that argument has to be ignored.

If I’m hand picking the team I’m only keeping Bubba, Kuch, Speith, and Dufner

Jimmy Walker – Really?
Dustin Johnson – Head case who can hit the ball a mile but putting is atrocious
Jim Furyk – NO, NO, and NO…Please God NO
Rickie Fowler – Think he’s one of the most overrated players out there. Just can’t ever seem to put it together
Patrick Reed – Think this tool just got hot and don’t really expect much from him

The Euros looked pretty good and throw in McDowell and Westwood/Molinari/Poulter as captains picks and they're stacked for match play.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I sorta agree with that assessment...however I would not take off DJ or Fowler. DJ's touch is leagues, leagues, leagues better this year than in the past. And Fowler is a wild card player for my team, if I'm the captain. Definitely not a thoroughbred on the squad if that makes sense...but a mudder on occasion.
bagger05
AG
Wow that looks like an ass-kicking waiting to happen. It's a long time until September... hopefully some of our guys get hot at the right time.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The Euro squad just looks like one that is more consistent and likely to put up a steady performance across the entire team.

quote:
Rickie Fowler – Think he’s one of the most overrated players out there. Just can’t ever seem to put it together

In he words of Johnny Miller at the US Open, he's all hat no cattle so far. Literally.
Ag_07
AG
I just think in Ryder Cup play you need steady, reliable players who are good under pressure and don't get off their game too easily.

DJ and Rickie do that constantly. Dustin's putting lately has been some of the worst I've seen and that's just not on Tour. Rickie just doesn't do it for me. You can't afford to have a wildcard who may or may not have a good round or bad.

I don't know records (and yes I'm too lazy to look them up) so I may be wrong in saying this but I think Stricker, Webb Simpson, and Bill Haas would be nice Ryder Cup players over guys like DJ, Rickie, Reed, etc.

Of course we'll get the whole Tiger captain's pick discussion when the time comes. Think you've got to leave him off but that's another thread in and of itself.
CapCity12thMan
AG
quote:
Jimmy Walker – Really?

Have you looked at his stats? In the last nine months (20 events):

3 victories
1 runner up
8 top 10s (including Masters (T-8), US Open (T-9), Players (T-6))

What is wrong with that resume?

LHIOB
AG
With how well Phil has been playing links golf I love him scoring a few points
HouAggie
AG
They're not playing a links course.
jj9000
AG
quote:
Jimmy Walker – Really?
Dustin Johnson – Head case who can hit the ball a mile but putting is atrocious
Jim Furyk – NO, NO, and NO…Please God NO
Patrick Reed – Think this tool just got hot and don’t really expect much from him

I have to disagree with all but Furyk here.

DJ - A solid all-round player. His flatstick isn't his weapon, its his Eagles (4th on Tour), Birdies (7th on Tour), Scoring Average - 3rd on Tour

Rickie Fowler - "Just can't seem to put it together?" I'm sorry, what? He's been a Match Play machine going back to his Walker Cup days (Career Walker Cup Record = 7-1-0). 2014 WGC-Match Play - Rickie Fowler def. Sergio Garcia ; 2014 WGC-Match Play - Rickie Fowler def. Ian Poulter (let the IJP Match Play win set in for a second...isn't Match Play what IJP is known for)?

Patrick Reed - He's said some not so smart things, but I like his confidence. If he's matched up against Donaldson or Bjorn, I take Reed.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Well said jj
Deluxe
AG
I'd be comfortable with:

Top 9
Bubba Watson
Jimmy Walker
Dustin Johnson
Matt Kuchar
Jordan Speith
Jim Furyk
Rickie Fowler
Jason Dufner
Phil Mickelson (assumes Mickelson passes Reed)

Captain's Picks:
Zach Johnson
Keegan Bradley
Tiger Woods
Deluxe
AG
The top six have virtually guaranteed their spots. Whether or not you like Furyk or DJ, they're going to be on the team. I still like Furyk as a veteran foursomes player to pair with a less experienced guy. Also like DJ's power and ability to make birdies in four ball.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I'd be way more comfortable with that lineup Deluxe, than any other at this point.
Deluxe
AG
Zach Johnson passed Patrick Reed for the No. 9 spot last week
Ag_07
AG
So after the PGA the spots are locked as-is

1 Bubba WATSON
2 Rickie FOWLER
3 Jim FURYK
4 Jimmy WALKER
5 Phil MICKELSON
6 Matt KUCHAR
7 Jordan SPIETH
8 Patrick REED
9 Zach JOHNSON

With the Kuchar injury does Watson have 4 picks or would the spot go to #10 Jason DUFNER, but he may be out as well. #11 would be Ryan Moore.

LeFraud
im guessing the players with injury get removed from the rankings, and everyone moves up...so if kuchar and dufner are not able, ryan moore is in as a lock.

if it stands the way it is. id go dufner, bradley, tiger. if dufner is not healthy, take ryan moore in his place. if neither kuchar or dufner can play, i take bradley, tiger and whoever is hot the next three weeks.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Just a gut feeling, I think neither Dufner nor Kuchar will be available.

Moore will qualify. Tom will pick Keegan.

Then there will be 2 more spots for his discretion after that.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
I think neither Dufner nor Kuchar will be available.

I agree.

Think he picks Keegan, Stricker, and someone who shows up in the playoffs. Maybe Palmer, Haas, or Webb Simpson
LHIOB
AG
Id be fine if Tom picked himself. He plays great links golf.
bilbobag
I think Watson will use Stricker for some of the play.

How is Fowler overrated? Top 5 finish in all 4 majors this year and playing better he has in the past..

I think only 3 other players since 1931 can say that..
Obi Wan Ginobili
i would LOVE to hear more about how someone with 4 top 5 major finishes in a calendar year is over rated.

the list of players to finish in the top 5 at multiple majors this year is Rory, Furyk, and Fowler.

[This message has been edited by Obi Wan Ginobili (edited 8/11/2014 5:43p).]
txags11
AG
Rickie Fowler overrated?!?!? In what world is that even true? He just finished in the top 5 of all 4 majors..because he hasn't won one, that makes him overrated?? Oh okay good to know lmfao..
Deluxe
AG
Here's my take on captains picks. I'm assuming that Kuchar plays, Dufner is out, and Tiger remains a wild card.

I think there's a 98% chance Watson takes Keegan Bradley with one pick unless he completely flames out over the next few weeks. He obviously loves the event, has a great rapport with Mickelson, played great in the 12 Ryder Cup and 13 Presidents Cup and went to Gleneagles to play a practice round with Watson before the British. He wants it bad.

I think the second pick is Brandt Snedeker's to lose. With three rookies in the top 9, I think Watson will want one more player with Ryder Cup experience. He's played better as of late. Finished strong at the PGA after starting his first round 5-over. He also has the MasterCard commercial connection with Watson (who knows how much that is worth haha). If he plays solidly through the first two weeks of the playoffs, I think he gets a spot.

The third spot could go any direction. IMO, Watson is looking for a reason to take Tiger and I think Tiger has first dibs on the final spot if he can 1) prove his health to Watson and 2) can convince Watson that he's playing well enough. If Watson decides to go in another direction, I think he'll be looking at someone in the "hottest player" category. If someone like Brian Harman or Ryan Moore were to win the Barclays or Deutsche Bank and get top 5 in the other, I think they'd get the spot.
Deluxe
AG
Stricker is an assistant captain and played TERRIBLE at the 2012 Ryder Cup. I highly doubt he plays.
Ag_07
AG
quote:
1) prove his health to Watson and 2) can convince Watson that he's playing well enough

He hasn't come remotely close to proving either one of these in the past month or so since he's been back.

However, as of right now I think he picks him as his third pick just cause with the qualifiers unable to go there's no one really worthy after Keegan and his #2 pick. Watson will be going pretty far down the list regardless for #3 so might as well pick the GOAT who has the experience in Ryder Cup play.

Plus with the options to sit him here and there and play alternating shots the physical toll can be lessened on Tiger.
Deluxe
AG
Agreed.

You could almost just take him and only play him in singles, which he has had great success in. I'd rather have 50% Tiger going up against Rose, Rory or Kaymer with the Cup on the line than just about anyone outside the top 9.

I'd personally just play him in four ball with a guy like Bubba or Reed who can get hot and make alot of birdies.
DannyDuberstein
AG
quote:
1) prove his health to Watson and 2) can convince Watson that he's playing well enough

Well, we know he's gimped, playing like ****, and he's not currently scheduled to play the next few weeks to prove any different. If Watson chooses him anyway, it's going to be 100% on faith. I know Tiger is a competitor, but this is a team event where he isn't the only one that gets fugged when his back flames out or he keeps playing like ass. You don't just shrug, call it a weekend on Friday, and get on a plane back to Florida. A dose of humility and saying "thanks, but no thanks" seems to be in order. But Tiger doesn't have much of that. Or any of that.

[This message has been edited by DannyDuberstein (edited 8/12/2014 2:56p).]
Deluxe
AG
quote:
Well, we know he's gimped, playing like ****, and he's not currently scheduled to play the next few weeks to prove any different. If Watson chooses him anyway, it's going to be 100% on faith.

We know he was gimped and played like **** last weekend.

We know he and Tom have discussed and will continue to discuss his Ryder Cup prospects over the next few weeks.

We don't know what criteria Tom will use to evaluate Tiger.

We don't know what Tiger will do/say to show Tom he's healthy and playing well enough to be on the team.

If Tiger calls Tom in three weeks and says "pick me, I'm good to go", people act like it would be easy to say no. Tom and Tiger have alot of mutual respect and there aren't alot of other great options. Rolling the dice on Tiger may be better than taking Mahan or Brendon Todd.
Deluxe
AG
I hear what you're saying Danny. To a certain extent, maybe the onus is on Tiger to tell Tom no. And I agree that he's not the type to do that. I'm just trying to make the case for why Tom may ultimately take him, regardless of what he shows in competition over the next three weeks.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

[This message has been edited by Deluxe (edited 8/12/2014 3:02p).]
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.