Game Golf

2,085 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Mr.Bond
bilbobag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HAs anyone else seen this:

www.gamegolf.com

Looks pretty good to me..
bagger05
AG
I believe someone posted that here when they were still in development and it was on kickstarter. Seems pretty cool.
Idk3
AG
Just saw commercial last weekend and have started looking into it. Pretty cool deal. Going with a "social" aspect to it where your score are posted to put them up against others. Also the pros that endorse will be doing the same.
andrago94
AG
I got mine today, bought it through Indiegogo last Spring. Took a lot longer than originally thought. I hope to get out and try it this week.
bagger05
AG
andrago please post reviews!
ColoradoMooseHerd
jonj101
It looks pretty sweet.

The only thing that is personally frustrating to me, is that I had a device that did this automatically as a watch (the MOTOACTV). When the division of Motorola was sold to Google, it was basically discontinued support wise.

Great device, just ahead of its time I suppose.
BANA89
AG
I use Golfshot GPS on my iPhone and like it, though it can be a minor pain tracking shots at times and really brings the battery life down to the point my phone barely finishes the round with power sometimes. This would track much better, but I would still need Golfshots for the course view and distances. But I'll be interested to see what people think of it when they use it live.

BANA Class of '86 ('89)
bagger05
AG
I can't use Golfshot for tracking distances. When I tried using it to get distances on my clubs it seemed to really take my focus away from my shot. This seems like it would be more in the background. I'd be interested to see what Game Golf is like on the green.
Earp16
AG
Any reviews on this yet?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Looks badass. Tried using some phone apps to track my game, but it really does kill battery and become a hindrance to the actual enjoyment/outcome/pace of my round.
bagger05
AG
quote:
Looks badass. Tried using some phone apps to track my game, but it really does kill battery and become a hindrance to the actual enjoyment/outcome/pace of my round.

Totally agree. I love all the stats and it would be cool to track my stats, but doing it via golfshot was a pretty big pain in the neck.
bagger05
AG
http://breakingeighty.com/game-golf-review
andrago94
AG
Finally going to get out and use mine tomorrow.
t - cam
AG
Reviews not to glowing.
andrago94
AG
I finally got out yesterday with my Game Golf. I bought it through the original Indiegogo funding so I have had it for about six weeks.

The unit was easy to set up. I installed the software on my Macbook Pro, iPhone, and iPad. The device plugs into the Macbook via USB to charge and also download rounds. Once downloaded, the rounds will show up on your iPad or iPhone app. The tags were easy to install by screwing into the hole on the end of the grip. You get 18 tags.

On the course everything worked fine. I clipped the device onto my right hip (I'm right handed) and it did not get in the way. I have a slim waist, larger folks might notice it more. The device has a blinking red light until it gets a good signal and then has a slow blinking white light to let you know it has a good signal.

I managed to make it through the round without forgetting to tag a shot. When you tap the end of your club on the device it makes a barely audible beep and vibrates. I found that I liked tagging my ball location first and then going through my pre shot routine.

One issue with the system that I had read about was with chipping and sand shots. If you chip the ball from just off the green with say your 9 iron, that shot will be included in your performance average for that club. There is no way to designate the shot as a chip and not a full swing. To get around this, one guy online suggested using two tags, one for Chip and one for Sand. I took two of the wildcard tags (Circle for Chip and Star for Sand) and screwed them into wine corks and kept them in my pocket. When I hit a chip or sand shot I just pulled out the correct wine cork and marked my club with that rather than the club I was using.

The other issue is marking the pin location. I made one long putt and chipped in from off the green once. When I did that, I walked up the the hole and tagged my putter to mark the hole location. I just edited out that final stroke after the game.

Once I got home, I plugged the device into my Mac and it fired up the software and downloaded my round. I played out at Pine Forest Country Club in Houston. Pine Forest has 3 nines. Instead of combining my two nines into one round, it loaded it as two separate rounds. There was no way to combine them, which is a big drawback. I'm a member out at Kingwood CC, so won't be a big issue for me, but i wouldn't like this if Pine Forest was my home club.

I edited the first round on the Mac. It took me about ten minutes for 9 holes. I noticed that a lot of the shots were slightly off. All of the shots seemed to be off in the same direction, so i am wondering if there could be projection issues between the map and the device data. I had a few penalty shots which are handled by adding penalty strokes in the post game editing. It is good to have your scorecard handy during editing. Once you edit the round, you have to sign the scorecard. After signing a round, you can no longer edit it which I am not sure I like. I edited the second round using my iPad. I liked this better, although somehow I deleted hole 3 in the process. I was able to recreat it though so not a big deal.

The stats were pretty nice. You can look at club performance by round or total. You get a little graph per club with all of you shot distances posted and then labels on the minimum, median, and maximum. You also get stats on fairways hit, putts, scrambling, GIR. It does not track putt distance, I assume due to accuracy.

Overall, I am pretty pleased with the device. It is a bit of work after the round and there is a lot more that could be done with the stats. It was fun to sit down with my iPad to go over the round. I think it would also be a good training device for course management. You could log your rounds and then review them with your coach to understand what things you might do differently.

I'll try to post some screenshots later, never posted pics to Texags before and don't have an online photo account anywhere.

bagger05
AG
Thanks for the review!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Great, thorough, review.
Yesterday
AG
Thanks for the review. Sounds like it would work well for those that are really trying to improve but at the same time it sounds like a complete ass whip for someone like me who plays once a week with his buddies. I could see it getting old after several rounds.
Mr.Bond
AG
http://breakingeighty.com/game-golf-vs-arccos-golf
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.