Layoff from golf due to injury

1,962 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Signel
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's the worst layoff from injury that y'all have had from golf before? Was it a golf-related problem or not?

Had to take a few months off (July til now) and it sucked.
The Milkman
AG
Ive been on about a 2 month layoff...due to finally having a job though...
Unemployed
AG
Torn ACL playing basketball about 15 years ago. I wasn't playing golf that much back then so it wasn't a big deal not having a chance to play. Took about 8 months after surgery to be able to participate in sports again.

Couple of years ago, I had patellar tendonitis that knocked me out for a month.

[This message has been edited by RealTalk (edited 10/24/2012 4:45p).]
Kjodie
Left Achilles. I was playing twice a week and then "snap", about 6 months before i could chip.

I.Y.A.C.Y.A.S. '91
agsuper1
2 years and counting. Nerve damage c5-c7 (neck). May never play again
proudaggie02
AG
Broke my back (crushed a couple vertabrae) in a car wreck, and I was out for 2 months.

It should have been a lot longer, but I rushed back to play in the district golf tourney my senior year. I did not play well, but I finished second on my team and we qualified for regionals. My d-bag coach told me the following Monday that he wasn't taking me to regionals because he wanted to get a freshman some experience. Nevermind that I was district MVP the previous year, that I finished 2nd on the team at regionals my freshman year, or that I did everything I could to be a team leader. I was pissed. He also said he heard I was speeding when I wrecked, and that I brought it upon myself. The reason I wrecked was the lack of a stop sign on a country road & speed was maybe a small part.

With the coach watching, I eagled the first hole after he told me I wasn't going to regionals.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
Broken unla and shattered elbow. Took about a year off after 6 months of rehab.
Cen-Tex
AG
I had a golf injury called 'medial epicondylitis' or Golfer's Elbow that required surgery. I was out for about 8-10 weeks before I could pick up a club.
mpezll
AG
2 months because of a tear in my quad. Lost the last two months of summer. Tweaked it sliding into second in my beer softball league and then tore it playing 36 the next day. Luckily no surgery though could have been way worse.
mbyrd
two back surgeries over a 12 month period....just started playing a few months back but still very limited
agsalaska
AG
In one right now. I have a recurring cramp in my left hand that I am afraid could be arthritis as well as a torn rotator cuff. I am not a big workout guy. But I have to work out a little just to keep my shoulder strong enough to overcome the rotator cuff. The cramp in my hand has limited my ability to do that. I also cant play more than twice a week with the hand. So I have shut it down completely for a month and hoping the hand problem goes away. probably wont play for another two weeks.

Longest-One year after college golf didnt pan out in 95. Six months after back muscle tears in 04.

[This message has been edited by agsalaska (edited 10/25/2012 11:18a).]
19AG84
AG
I have tendonitis. Flairs up after I play. I usually play 3-4 rounds per week, but lately it has been a struggle. My handicap index went from a 3.4 to a 6.6 the last couple of month.
DOCAG79
AG
Shoulder problem has had me on the shelf for two months now. Hoping to head to Deerwood on Saturday to hit some balls to see if rest helped or if i may need to have it fixed! Wish me luck!
ColoradoMooseHerd
Out for almost a year, after striking a hidden root during a tournament. It hurt like hell that day, but I took some Advil and drank alcohol to get through. Afterwards found out that I had broken my wrist.
Harry Stone
AG
12 shoulder dislocations followed by surgery on the last one. torn acl, mcl and medial miniscus. ruptured cartilage in ankle. all in all about 2.5 years sitting out due to injury
CoppellAg93
AG
Haven't played since April - herniated disks in my back. Everytime I think I'm about ready to get out and hit the range, pain flairs back up.
HouAggie
AG
This thread scares me. So far, I've been really lucky to avoid injury. Just nagging pains, but nothing to stop me playing.

Last year, had a really sharp pain in my left index finger at all times, caused by golf. I tried all sorts of grip changes to see if I could fix it, but nothing worked. I assumed it was always going to be an issue, but I played a lot less golf over the winter and it mostly disappeared. I guess it just needed some rest.

Right now, I have a bit of a right wrist injury from getting my wedge stuck in the ground on a full swing about three weeks ago. But I think it also just needs rest. With the clocks changing this weekend, I bet it will fix itself.

Not comparing my injuries to anything listed on this thread. Just speaking to how lucky I've been.
Cen-Tex
AG
If you are serious about correcting injuries caused by golf. Google the Titleist Performance Institute. These folks are trained to correct the mechanics causing the injury. Make sure they are Level 2 or 3 certified. Many are Physical Therapists.
Chipotlemonger
AG
3-year bump.

In better shape this and last year than I have ever been before, especially up to last October.

I consistently played the best golf of my life last year and was excited as to where I was heading.

Runner's knee in November from distance running, a sort of bone bruise in my lead knee at the end of the year? (If any of you have Osgood Schlatter's, you know that if you hit that thing hard enough, pain and tightness can really linger), and now for these past few months back problems.

Hit balls for the 1st time in a month last week. I can't even use my torso and body to drive the swing. My hands as a by product of this sort of naturally wanted to adjust to an extremely strong grip.

After trying to power my way through this I've decided to really change up my weekly regiment. Trying to do as much on my own for now. If the changes I've just made don't do anything or show improvement in a couple or few weeks I'm gonna have to go the doctor route.

Have already been getting deep tissue massages and seen a chiropractor a few times.

Has anyone had a similar problem before?
Signel
AG
Triangular fibrocartilage

The radius and ulna in my lead hand have separated due to hitting. I will be ordering a wristwidget asap to pull the bones back together to stop the pain and allow my tendons to heal.

If i squeeze my wrist, i can feel the bones click together. As I play a round, it starts to hurt more and more and my grip gets weak. Eventually, I just want to quit from the pain.
mt3950
AG
quote:
Broke my back (crushed a couple vertabrae) in a car wreck, and I was out for 2 months.

It should have been a lot longer, but I rushed back to play in the district golf tourney my senior year. I did not play well, but I finished second on my team and we qualified for regionals. My d-bag coach told me the following Monday that he wasn't taking me to regionals because he wanted to get a freshman some experience. Nevermind that I was district MVP the previous year, that I finished 2nd on the team at regionals my freshman year, or that I did everything I could to be a team leader. I was pissed. He also said he heard I was speeding when I wrecked, and that I brought it upon myself. The reason I wrecked was the lack of a stop sign on a country road & speed was maybe a small part.

With the coach watching, I eagled the first hole after he told me I wasn't going to regionals.

At least you're still not bitter or anything...
JarAG2007
AG
4 months. I tore my ACL and meniscus last October and had reconsrtuctive surgery. I didn't hit a ball until around Febuary at the range. Still working back because it is still tough sometimes to play full 18 without some discomfort by the end of the round. Typically by the end of a round i have a slight limp in my bad knee.

It is also my left knee and I am a right handed golfer so follow through is still a work in progress and gaining confidence that my knee will hold. Doctor says after a year from surgery I should be at full strength and the rest is mental. Needless to say it is a work in progress.
jonj101
quote:
Triangular fibrocartilage

The radius and ulna in my lead hand have separated due to hitting. I will be ordering a wristwidget asap to pull the bones back together to stop the pain and allow my tendons to heal.

If i squeeze my wrist, i can feel the bones click together. As I play a round, it starts to hurt more and more and my grip gets weak. Eventually, I just want to quit from the pain.

How ironic - I have the exact same issue right now. Havent played a full round since my vacation about 5 weeks ago. While I was out there I played 6 rounds in 4 days, as well as had quite a bit of practice in as well, and I either strained or tore it.

I have a wrist widget, and it helps somewhat, but when I finally went to the doc he gave me anti-inflammatory meds and a brace and the pain is starting to subside more and more. Next Monday I have a follow up appointment - hoping I dont need surgery and can get back out.
proudaggie02
AG
quote:
quote:

At least you're still not bitter or anything...

Not bitter, but the coach handled that really poorly. My teammates had a hard time playing for him after that, to the point that I had to talk a couple seniors into not quitting/boycotting regionals.

But hey, way to make a classy comment.

Speaking of the devil though.... I've been out of commission 3 of the last 4 weeks due to back problems.

mt3950
AG
lol...the question was "whats the longest you missed due to an injury"...you could have just mentioned your back injury in high school and how much time it cost you on the course, but you go off into a diatribe about how your coach ****ed you out of playing in your high school regional tourney or some **** and give us all a play by play...that's being bitter pahds.
proudaggie02
AG
^
I guess I can see where you're coming from; I was definitely pissed at the time.
Prior22
AG
I literally had the exact same injury. Did you ever back get full range of motion? Mine happened playing basketball during my freshman year of high school.
Signel
AG
Yep, very common in golf and other sports with bats/clubs/rackets so I was told. I have the immobilization brace to ensure I keep it under pressure all the time. It is not in terrible shape but it can get much worse if I ignore it. I was told it will heal in a few months if I do things right.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.