Houston area Country Clubs

52,930 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jja79
DRE06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can this be a thread where people in the know post the initiation fees and monthly dues for Houston area country clubs.

If there is a Jr. membership discount, I'd be interested in hearing that as well.

I'm specifically interested in Lakeside CC, Royal Oaks, & Pine Forest, as those are closest to where we currently live, and plan to stay.
HouAggie
AG
I don't have info on those 3, but I know of some others.

Within the past year...

Houstonian: ~18k initiation for a junior and about 325-390/mo (single vs family)

Westwood: ~5k initiation for a junior and about 375/mo

Redstone: ~16.5k initiation for a junior and about 250-350/mo (single vs family and diff rates for 30 and below vs over 30)

Meadowbrook: ~3.5k initiation for a junior and about 300/mo

[This message has been edited by HouAggie (edited 6/20/2012 10:30a).]
Aggie1391
Does anyone have information on Sweetwater prices for juniors?
rosco511
AG
Not sure on the exact pricing information for Royal Oaks, but I remember when I had seen it in the past that the monthly dues out there (for junior or regular) really high, something in the neighborhood of $700 to $750 a month.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Golfcrest- no initiation and $248/mo super jr (35 and below) Bumped to $330/mo 36-40.

I would call or email the places you're interested in. Most are willing to work with you and have prices lower than advertised on their website.
cab595
I think Lakeside junior is $17.5k and the monthly fees vary depending on age as you move closer to 40 (approx $275-500)

What about the Woodlands CC, does anyone know about the price for junior members?
BigPuma
AG
Champions Junior is 5k initiation and i think 350 or so a month
RustyBV
AG
Pine Forest is no initation fee and $385 per month which includes greens fees with no cart, driving range and a $75 food minimum.
This is from a friend of mine who just joined....
sixiron
AG
Anyone know about Pecan Grove? I noticed their junior rate goes until you turn 35.
DRE06
AG
What do clubs do at the time of conversion?

Example: Club XYZ is $8k to join as a Jr. Member, with $350 dues. This is for individuals under the age of 40. If 40+, initiation is $20k with $500 dues.

What happens if I join at 30 and remain a member until I turn 40? Obviously the monthly dues increase. Are you required to pay the spread in Initiation Fees b/w what I initially paid and what current Adult member initiation fees are?

[This message has been edited by DRE06 (edited 6/20/2012 2:04p).]
HouAggie
AG
Some clubs make you pay the difference in initiation and some don't. They all make you pay the higher dues.
DRE06
AG
Kind of what I thought.

As long as I was a member for a decent amount of time (5+ years or so), I'd try to negotiate it in my contract that if I remain a member from initiation to the time of conversion, that they would waive the increase initiation.
HouAggie
AG
For instance, of the clubs I listed, I know that Houstonian and Meadowbrook don't make you pay the initiation difference when you're no longer a junior, but Westwood does. Not sure about Redstone, but I'm guessing it's the same as Houstonian.
agsuper1
Sweet water is $373 a month for Jr

[This message has been edited by Agsuper1 (edited 6/20/2012 2:45p).]
Ag_07
AG
Good thread as I've been poking around some clubs and thinking about getting on somewhere in the Sugar Land area.

Anybody have any info on Sugar Creek?
AgFlyGuy
AG
No one has mentioned Kingwood yet, but its a great club with 5 courses, water park, tennis courts, etc. I have access to 4 of the 5 (not Deerwood) and am part of the O.N.E. (50% off food). I get two free rounds per month at about 10 or 12 different Houston area courses. For the Young Exec (under 40) is $320/mo and $1K dues, which you don't pay unless you leave the club before 1 year.
garym2001
AG
almost all clubs that have a Jr membership require you to pay the "spread" eventually. mine will amortize the spread in 2 chunks. half from the time you join until you turn 40, the other half for 5 years after you join. helps take the sting out of a big check.
HouAggie
AG
I think it depends on if it's an equity club or one owned by a company like ClubCorp or Redstone. Equity clubs likely make you pay the spread, where others don't.
ElCheAg
AG
Man. If Kingwood CC was closer I'd jump on that. 4-5 courses at your disposal must be Nice.
AgFlyGuy
AG
^^^^^
They are good courses and its great to have them all at the same location. When I get tired I have courses like Wildcat, Hearthstone, Cinco Ranch, etc that I can play two times a month for free.

Plus, KCC has a mini-splashtown, 24 tennis courts, and gym/spa, so it has something for the whole family. In order to join I had to promise to sell my Harley (still haven't) but wish I would have joined years ago rather than buy the bike.
JB AG02
AG
We joined Pecan Grove 2 months ago. No initiation and our monthly dues are $300. No food minimums either. We love it. Would love to add some more Ags. Trying to get a regular Saturday morning game going. Also, I can play all Arnold Palmer Properties for just the cart fee.

Let me know if you have any questions.

[This message has been edited by JB AG02 (edited 6/20/2012 10:15p).]
HERKIMER80
AG
walden (conroe) is 1k initiation for junior and $150/month
Hanrahan
AG
These prices make me want to move back to Houston. Austin private golf is insanely expensive. My club was $42k and 550 a month, I thinking of moving to another club that is 50k and 680 a month or one that is 50k and 680 a month. Damn there are sme awesome courses listed above with dirt cheap junior rates. I'm early 30s but junior "deals" around here consistent only of paying half now and half at 38 or 40. You guys have it good.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I love golf but could never jusify paying a $50k initiation. More power to you if you have the money.
Ragoo
AG
Royal oaks is probably still doing trial memberships. No idea the fees but I can find out if you want.
Poot
That's interesting on Champions... Any idea what the bump is later on down the road?
Gig-Em2003
AG
Ag-07
Riverbend is the best golf club in Sugar Land (ignoring Shadow Hawk and Houstonian).

You ought to be able to get into Riverbend for $1k or so. Dues are around $300 as a junior.

Check it out. Much better course than Sweeteater and Sugar Creek.
98Ag99Grad
AG
The men's locker room at Riverbend is awesome! Worth joining just to hang-out in there.
HouAggie
AG
Riverbend would be my choice on that side of town too.
pkp08
AG
quote:
That's interesting on Champions... Any idea what the bump is later on down the road?

Goes from 5 to 26k when you turn 35. 2 years to pay the difference of about 20k. They have payment plans that allow you to pay extra dues per month now so your wallet doesn't take a huge hit when you turn 35.
DRE06
AG
Pine Forest - Young Executive Membership

Initiation: $2,000

Dues:
Age 21-32: $203/mo
Age 33-35: $247
Age 36-38: $293
Age 39-42: $339

Monthly spend minimum: $75
Capital Expense: $25

Age 43: $10,000 initiation; $460 dues

[This message has been edited by Dre06 (edited 6/23/2012 11:04a).]
ILuvAgLand
quote:
These prices make me want to move back to Houston. Austin private golf is insanely expensive. My club was $42k and 550 a month, I thinking of moving to another club that is 50k and 680 a month or one that is 50k and 680 a month. Damn there are sme awesome courses listed above with dirt cheap junior rates. I'm early 30s but junior "deals" around here consistent only of paying half now and half at 38 or 40. You guys have it good.

What course are those for? Barton creek and ACC
Hanrahan
AG
Barton and Spanish oaks. ACC is closer to 100k initiation if not 100 now. No thanks.
LateAg
That is insane. This is an honest question from someone who has never been a member of a country club: what is the benefit of joining any club? Status symbol? Networking? The amenities don't seem to justify the initiation and monthly expenses.
DRE06
AG
What do you mean about lack of amenities? Most clubs has golf, swimming pools, spas, tennis, basketball, raquetteball, summer camps for kids, gym facilities with trainers, etc.

As a kid I lived at Sweetwater Country Club. Every weekend and 3-4 days a week during the summer. Playing golf, pickup Bball, racquetball, lifting weights in high school. It was a safe environment where my parents would have no worries about me, and I'm sure it kept me out of a lot of trouble.

From an adult/family standpoint, country club golf, pools, & tennis courts >>>>>> public golf, neighborhood pools, & area courts where you pray there is an open court avail when you arrive. Also, much easier to get tee times, better course conditions, and you don't run into the 5+ hour rounds stuck behind a bunch of hackers that you do at public courses.

Wives can take the kids to the pool during the summers, and if you wife plays tennis there are generally tennis tournaments/clubs etc.

It's also a form of a social club.

Kind of all relative. My brother will drop $8,000 on a 5 day hunting trip to Canada. Others will spend the same on a 7 day trip to Europe. Not that different than initiation fees. The money barrier also keeps the riff raft away.

Country clubs are pretty awesome if you are fortunate to afford them.

[This message has been edited by Dre06 (edited 6/23/2012 3:20p).]

[This message has been edited by Dre06 (edited 6/23/2012 3:21p).]
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.