Ping i20 Irons

7,768 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by The Milkman
AgPrognosticator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was messing around in a golf shop today and decided to hit a few demo irons. The i20 was by far the best feeling iron that I hit (including my current s56's). I hit several Taylormades, Titlest CB, several different Pings, but when I hit the i20's they felt amazing.

I'm not sure I've ever felt this marked of a difference when demoing several different irons. If anyone is in the market for new irons, don't buy without demoing the new i20's.
Icecream_Ag
S
give me $1500 and I'll buy you a set.
AgPrognosticator
AG
They're only $700
dcrewint
You gotta pay the man! This is 2012, things aren't free anymore, didn't ya know?

Steal of a deal if you ask me.
The Milkman
AG
I thought the same thing when I was poking around the store the other day. Felt really good.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
They're only $700
I know. I need a new set of irons as well plus the $100 handlers fee.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
and they look great!
Aggie_Eric98
AG
I started a thread on them a few weeks ago, and a similar reaction. I was hitting 7i 200 yards. Thinking about moving from AP2 to i20's
Aggie_Eric98
AG
http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2043398&forum_id=60
The D
AG
quote:
I started a thread on them a few weeks ago, and a similar reaction. I was hitting 7i 200 yards. Thinking about moving from AP2 to i20's

That's great but what will you hit from 140?
cbminers
AG
98=señor?
14TheRoad
AG
I had a similar experience last week. I was killing some time and decided to demo some 3woods. With all the RBZ hype i hit that and compared it to the R11 and since i was there decided what the hell, i'll hit the Ping i20 as well. Suprisingly, i thought the i20 felt the best and i got the most consistent ball strike out of it. It felt like butter at impact. It certainly opened my eyes and was a nice surprise!
Aggie_Eric98
AG
quote:
quote:

That's great but what will you hit from 140?

Kinda my dilemma
ElCheAg
AG
Yeah. I hit a 7 iron i20 at Golfsmith yesterday. It felt real sweet. Can you adjust these irons (similar to the R11 driver)? I ask, because I noticed a nut near the hosel.
El Chupacabra
7i 200 = 3i 260?
Austin Ag
AG
check the loft of the irons and you'll see all they've done is make them stronger and kept the number on the bottom of the club the same.

the pitching wedge on the i20 is 46 degrees, 41 for the 9 iron. 1 degree less than the Burner 2.0's but still VERY strong.

that's the only reason you'll hit them farther.
12thMan2012
AG
If you don't hit a 200 yard 7 iron you need to quit /chipotle
AgPrognosticator
AG
I'm not worried about gross distance at all. I just want irons and shafts that I can hit consistently and give me a good ball flight.

The i20's seem like they fit a pretty good niche in the market: they are players irons that are workable yet forgiving.
jj9000
AG
I have a 4-U set of PING i20s with CFS Stiff steel in the bag now.

If you've played PING and are familiar with ZZ65 shafts, then transition to CFS will be easy.

The CFS Stiff steel are nothing more than the ZZ65 Soft Stepped twice.
Nom de Plume
AG
Ugh. Ping stuff is so ugly. Why did they need to take a chunk out of the hosel?
AgPrognosticator
AG
I have a few shaft-related questions about the i20's.

Do the pros playing i20's use the ping shafts?

Why doesn't Ping just use Project X, KBS or Dynamic Gold shafts?

Is it a bad idea to order the i20's with one of the above shafts?

What the hell is soft stepped?
EDIT: Found and answer for this. Correct me if this is wrong.
"You would pull the set of 8 shafts, then install the nine iron shaft into the PW. In most cases then clubs end up 1/2" longer, in which case, you can keep them longer and pick up the additional swingweight, or trim them from the butt end back to standard length. You then have to pick up another wedge shaft for the three iron."

TIA

[This message has been edited by AgPrognosticator (edited 3/10/2012 9:34p).]
jj9000
AG
Here is Mark Wilson's setup from January:

Irons: i20 irons 4-PW, True Temper CS Lite, hard stepped x1, Yellow Color Code, Std. Length, D2 Swingweight

I think Westwood still plays the old PING 'stock' JZ steel in his i10s.

PING will insert whatever shaft you want into the irons in their custom WRX department. I came REALLY close to having KBS C-Tapers shafted up in mine (that's what Stricker plays). They were backordered for quite a while so I passed. I may order a 6 iron shaft just to see if the C-Tapers live up to the 5-5-5 hype (5% lower ballflight, 5% less spin, 5% increase in distance...compared to all competitors)

Also, you are correct with respect to soft stepping...hard stepping is doing the exact opposite of what you posted (uncut 8 iron shaft in a 7 iron, then cut to an 8 iron length).

A good rule of thumb is that every soft/hard step will be 1/3 of a full flex either downward or upward.

Here's a great comparison chart relative to shaft flex and manufacturer (based on the old Rifle FCM scale)...look at Post #976

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/471103-kbs-tour-c-taper-vs-project-x/page__st__960

jj9000
AG
quote:
Ugh. Ping stuff is so ugly. Why did they need to take a chunk out of the hosel?

I'll assume you have a specific line and offset in mind here (perhaps G series?) because the S56 line has virtually no offset (0.09" in the 7 iron).

I'm not being a PING homer here, but you could make the same argument against Titleist (AP1), Mizuno (JPX-800), TMAG (RocketBallz), Callaway (X22), Nike (everything but the VRs), Wilson (D series)...etc...etc.

[This message has been edited by jj9000 (edited 3/10/2012 10:12p).]
AgPrognosticator
AG
I tihnk he's talking about the cut in the hosel. It does look wierd if you haven't ever owned a set of Pings.
jj9000
AG
I must have misread that.

If you can see the back of the hosel at address then there's more to worry about then hosel looks.

That's comparable to saying that I cannot stand the way the AP2 712s look because they have that chunky cavity back...Assuming I played Miura baby blades.

[This message has been edited by jj9000 (edited 3/10/2012 10:33p).]
Nom de Plume
AG
Agreed, the AP2s are too chunky.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They take a chunk out of the hosel so the lie angle can be adjusted more easily. As mentioned above, if you can see it at address or notice it during your swing, you've got bigger issues.
Nom de Plume
AG
I didn't say I noticed it at address. It still looks stupid. Most of Ping's stuff has looked crappy since the Eye 2 went away.

I'll say the top line is actually pretty decent.
Pahdz
are these forgiving enough for a higher handicapper? i really like the look of these
jj9000
AG
Pahdz...I get what you're asking here, but, the best thing you could possibly is go get professionally fitted (preferably outdoors and on grass).

Depending on where you're located you may be able to demo a vast array of clubs and shafts (the Mizuno shaft optimizer is a very good tool).

Once you have your specs the fitter should give you several 'recommendations'.

Good luck to you, sir.
Pahdz
Ping demo day is at the end of April at the muni down the street, I had already played around online last week with the fitting.
The Milkman
AG
quote:
are these forgiving enough for a higher handicapper? i really like the look of these

Probably not...they are designed more for mid to low I believe for shot shaping etc.

The 3 main lines in order of targeted handicap low to high: I, G, K
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.