What does your average golf pro make for annual compensation?

wsjag
11:12a, 3/5/12
V
AG
Not asking about an exclusive course like a TPC or a PGA level course but your average muni that we mostly play at.

For all the long days and work they have to put up with is it someone in the $50-60K range when you factor in lessons?

They probably do it for love of the game more than anything...
HouAggie
11:53a, 3/5/12
L
AG
If you're talking about a typical assistant pro, your number is too high by a good amount. There's some money in the golf biz, but not until you're a GM or director of golf, etc.
AgPrognosticator
12:31p, 3/5/12
H
AG
Low 30's for an assitant pro at your run-of-the-mill course.
Troutslime
12:33p, 3/5/12
L
If you like playing golf, don't go into the business.
Prior22
6:13p, 3/5/12
A
AG
Troutslime nailed it. Have a couple of buddies that decided to go this route and all of them said the game just isn't fun anywhere (Newsflash: That's because it's a job). I know there are plenty of pros out there that love the gig, but I know for a fact that the hours blow, especially when you're starting out. And $30K for being an assistant pro is pretty spot-on.
agsuper1
8:58p, 3/5/12
H
When they owned the shops they made some serious coin back in the day. There was one pro in town pulling down 500k before his shop was bought out by a management company. Hou is right you have to be a dir if golf or gm and then you can make 60-250k a year. My wife is a gm and makes pretty decent money.

[This message has been edited by Agsuper1 (edited 3/5/2012 8:59p).]
amg405
1:10a, 3/15/12
L
AG
Brother in law is director of golf at a decent Houston course. I think he's in the 60-70 range.
powerbelly51
9:29a, 3/15/12
H
AG
The key is for the head pro to own the golf shop. That is where the guys make a lot of money. Before that there isn't much.
ILuvAgLand
10:20a, 3/15/12
A
Don't a lot of them own the carts and pocket the cart fee?
HouAggie
10:24a, 3/15/12
L
AG
I think owning anything is pretty much a thing of the past. I'm not aware of any currently that own any part of the business (at least in Houston area).

Not saying they're not out there.
TUhatr
12:25p, 3/15/12
V
AG
Exactly...have you guys ever meet a very "nice" assistant pro? Usually they are typical a-hoes...always in a bad mood and look miserable. I never would want to be that guy.
shaynew1
1:20p, 3/15/12
V
AG
you guys are still overshooting some. unless your guys are hustling a gillion lessons.
powerbelly51
1:24p, 3/15/12
H
AG
I know of a few in Dallas, but I agree that this aspect is changing.

quote:
I think owning anything is pretty much a thing of the past. I'm not aware of any currently that own any part of the business (at least in Houston area).
agsuper1
4:42p, 3/15/12
H
I had operators on my maintenance staff making more than assistants
big ben
9:32p, 3/15/12
L
AG
I heard through the grapevine that the pro at Sherrill Park makes well into the 6 figures, but he also owns all the carts, etc.
Lloyd Christmas
8:43a, 3/16/12
L
http://www.texastribune.org/library/data/government-employee-salaries/

Look up your muni's asst pro. You'll know why they're always pissed.

[This message has been edited by Lloyd Christmas (edited 3/16/2012 8:43a).]
aginlakeway
9:20a, 3/16/12
L
AG
My experience ...

The only people I know who are financially happy working at a golf course are (1) The GM and (2) Those who have other incomes or those who don't really have to work (working for the perks, and having access to a course for free is a huge perk for many).

The rest of them working at a golf course are financially miserable, and their attitudes usually reflect that.

[This message has been edited by aginlakeway (edited 3/16/2012 9:29a).]
aginlakeway
9:20a, 3/16/12
L
AG
RE: Low 30's for an assitant pro at your run-of-the-mill course.

Try low 20's.
HouAggie
11:19a, 3/16/12
L
AG
Kinda goes against this statement you made the other day...
quote:
I would assume that MOST amateur golfers would love to be a no name pro somewhere
aginlakeway
12:02p, 3/16/12
L
AG
HouAggie,

Wow. I didn't know you read everything I wrote so closely. I'm flattered my words mean so much to you.

I disagree. My 2 statements AREN'T different. Being a golf pro is a dream job for many amateur golfers ... but like many dream jobs, it may not pay very well.

You have to have other financial interests to be financially happy as a club golf pro.

Thanks for paying so close attention to what I post!

[This message has been edited by aginlakeway (edited 3/16/2012 12:03p).]
HouAggie
12:11p, 3/16/12
L
AG
No worries. With all the dumb sht you post, I have to keep a spreadsheet to keep up with it all!
aginlakeway
12:17p, 3/16/12
L
AG
Wow. Good for you! I never even thought about keeping up so closely (even days later) with what a stranger posts on a blog.

Have a great weekend.

[This message has been edited by aginlakeway (edited 3/16/2012 12:20p).]
RealTalk
12:38p, 3/16/12
H
AG
quote:
Being a golf pro is a dream job for many amateur golfers

Not really...they dream about actually being on the PGA Tour and playing golf professionally. Nobody dreams about being a golf pro at their local course giving lessons, running operations, and manning the pro shop.

[This message has been edited by RealTalk (edited 3/16/2012 12:41p).]
HouAggie
12:39p, 3/16/12
L
AG
Will do. Looking like I should get in 36 this weekend.
aginlakeway
1:06p, 3/16/12
L
AG
18 are on me one weekend in the Austin area.
aginlakeway
1:10p, 3/16/12
L
AG
RealTalk,

RE: Nobody dreams about being a golf pro at their LOCAL COURSE giving lessons, running operations, and manning the pro shop.

Actually, I know many folks that do want that job, especially if it's at two Nicklaus signature courses in a beautiful part of the state. That's a far cry from a local course.

Regardless, it sure beats working!

[This message has been edited by aginlakeway (edited 3/16/2012 1:11p).]

[This message has been edited by aginlakeway (edited 3/16/2012 1:14p).]
RealTalk
3:02p, 3/16/12
H
AG
You missed my point.

PGA Tour golf professional vs golf pro at Nicklaus designed course in a nice part of the state.

9 out of 10 will pick PGA Tour golf professional.
shaynew1
3:37p, 3/16/12
V
AG
you want to add a 'capable of making a few cuts' disclaimer in the pga player option?
DannyDuberstein
4:07p, 3/16/12
L
I've always heard that if you love golf, don't go into the golf industry - including club pro. What looks great to you seems like torture to me - having to watch others play and enjoy golf while you answer phones, work as a glorified cashier, assemble 4-somes, help hacks with their awful swings, all while making ****ty money. I'm just fine making several times more money doing somethign else and still finding plenty of time to play golf each week.

[This message has been edited by DannyDuberstein (edited 3/16/2012 4:08p).]
clintaggie04
7:21p, 3/16/12
H
AG
My dad has been the pro at a pretty nice totally private club for 31 years. Yes, that's right, he has been at the same club for 31 years. Totally unheard of in the golf world. He makes a good living, but he sure isn't rich.
aginlakeway
7:41p, 3/16/12
L
AG
I don't think how much money you make is the key to happiness, or what makes a job a good job or a bad job. I think doing what you love doing is the key. And if you can pay your bills doing that ...

Me ... I did very well in non-golf businesses for 20 years. So now at age 48, I am able to get out of the real world and am back in the golf business. I love it. I love what I do and where I work and who I get to work with.

So maybe I'm not living the dream of many, or so they say on this board, but I'm financially well off. I'm married to a beautiful woman who also happens to be my best friend, I live in a nice home on the golf course I work at. We have a Mercedes and a golf cart in the garage. We are VERY healthy. And we have season tickets and love Aggie football.

So maybe I'm not living the dream many would have. But I enjoy my life. And it's good enough for me!

RealTalk ... anytime you want to play golf in Austin, let me know ...

[This message has been edited by aginlakeway (edited 3/16/2012 7:42p).]

[This message has been edited by aginlakeway (edited 3/16/2012 7:42p).]
obxag
5:28a, 3/18/12
P
aginlakeway, what course are you at?
The D
12:56p, 3/18/12
L
AG
quote:
We have a Mercedes and a golf cart in the garage
DannyDuberstein
3:58p, 3/18/12
L
Oh dear. Serious life validation being sought on this thread. For what its worth, nowhere did I say that money is what makes a good or bad job. Might want to reread my post if thats all you took from it.

[This message has been edited by DannyDuberstein (edited 3/18/2012 4:02p).]
Nom de Plume
4:21p, 3/18/12
L
AG
DD, all of the pros at my club get to play a bunch. It was the same when I worked at a course in high school. It may not suck as bad as you think.

lakeway, your situation is not typical and not at all what most folks are talking about here.

[This message has been edited by nom de plume (edited 3/18/2012 7:55p).]
Page 1 of 2