Future Ag wins North Texas PGA Championship

2,487 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Our-turn-to-rule
jturner181
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I have to share this with the group...

My daughter, who has been going to the range with me since she was 3, is 9 yrs old this year. I've had her competing in the North Texas PGA Junior tournaments since last year. We've had slow progress as golf hasn't been her highest priority and we've played sporadic tournaments with mixed results, but this summer she asked to play again. We went to the range a few days, signed up for her first tourney and she won. 5 wins later, she qualified for the DFW Metro Area Championship and won 1st place yesterday. She was 4 shots out of first place with 5 holes to play. With 1 hole left, she had a 5 shoot lead on the field. She played so solidly down the stretch and hit the ball amazingly well. I was watching my child in awe...

She is now a champion golfer and her father couldn't be happier for her.

This win also moved her into 1st place for player of the year in her age division.

She wants to attend A&M or Stanford on golf scholarship... what more could a dad want for his little girl?

Kennedy plays in the Tour Championship this upcoming Monday/Tuesday at Stonebridge for the state title... wish her luck!

Proper setup at 4:

Current swing at 9:

Girls 7-9 Champion:

[This message has been edited by jturner181 (edited 8/11/2010 1:57a).]
Old School Brother
look at the feet on that girl!
HouAggie
AG
Color coordinating shoes/socks, with skirt, with shirt, with bracelet, with grips too? Impressive!
98Ag99Grad
AG
Congrats!
AggieDruggist89
AG
Awesome!
sts7049
Westicles
AG
That's awesome!
Matsui
AG
Very cool. Congrats!
lp01
AG
That's awesome
The D
AG
That looks like a pretty powerful swing for a 9 year old. How far does she hit it?

and congrats BTW
jturner181
AG
Thanks everyone for your kind comments...

She hits her driver about 130-150 yards... and weighs only 55 pounds. That is close to 3 times her body weight in distance. If only we could pull that ratio as adults.

On the final hole of the tourney, she ripped one 170yards... I think she was 'feeling it'

HouAggie - I laughed at your post. It is amazing how much time she spent trying to find the right socks to match the outfit, which just happened to match the grips. However, that pic is from a 3 day event - Fort Worth Junior Golf Championship... the same event Angela Stanford won 4 years in a row. Kennedy finished in 9th with girls aged 7-17, over 130 girls total.

[This message has been edited by jturner181 (edited 8/11/2010 10:05a).]
AgDotCom
What a beautiful little girl.

As the father of two teen girls who gets the biggest thrill watching whatever they do and whatever they did growing up, I think you know where I'm coming from.
Hanrahan
AG
that's awesome! hope she finds it fun for years to come!
Obi Wan Ginobili
does she share shoes with yao ming?
Post removed:
by user
jturner181
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BEDARC5iF0UhAC2YkxFeJvfaW3WR3pK5Q4s7200
jturner181
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BJQoJAAhwYCwh4L5C0dKBq0eUMsLvMr6CprOYQ0
jturner181
AG
A couple updates
jturner181
AG
quote:
That looks like a pretty powerful swing for a 9 year old. How far does she hit it?

and congrats BTW
Up to 240yds from the ladies tees... occasionally over 250 with good roll. Freshman year stats.
DadAG10
quote:
Sorry, this page isn't available.

The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed. Go back to Instagram.
jturner181
AG
quote:
quote:
Sorry, this page isn't available.

The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed. Go back to Instagram.
Found the problem - changed privacy settings... all good now.
CTGilley
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
quote:

and congrats BTW
Up to 240yds from the ladies tees... occasionally over 250 with good roll. Freshman year stats.
she's longer than a couple of my normal playing partners. Will definitely have to get on them about this.

And whats up with 6 year thread revivals today? this is the second one I've seen this afternoon.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Alot better than the lady behind her, that's for sure.
Sazerac
AG
badass

our girls HS golf team won state 3 years straight (I think it was) when I was in school. A couple were the same distance as me, and they were all obviously wayyyyy better players.

is she doing AJGA events?
Golf Nut 04
AG
Awesome! Keep her interested but also make sure she enjoys it. Good work!
Yesterday
AG
Any tips on getting the three year old interested? I want to try and get my 2.5 year old interested soon.
Golf Nut 04
AG
Take them to the course and have fun on the range and putting green. Buy the Callaway balls that look like soccer balls, they'll like those. Tell them to hit it as far as they can, don't take it serious at all, buy hot dogs and candy in the shop. Lots of high fives. Make the place fun and they'll come back. Worry about being serious at a later date. Worked for me.
jj9000
AG
quote:
Any tips on getting the three year old interested? I want to try and get my 2.5 year old interested soon.

I do a bunch of different things to make it fun for them. I always...and I mean always...either get a hot dog or a Snickers bar in the clubhouse after we're done.

Also, we play a game called 'Tackle Tickle'. I set a Practice bucket upside down on the chipping green. We take turns hitting chip shots trying to hit the bucket. If I hit the bucket first I get to move it anywhere on the green. (I usually move it closer). If they hit the bucket first, I drop my wedge, chase them down and tickle them like crazy. Sometimes I get weird looks from other golfers, but, I usually get a thumbs up...and the kids absolutely love it. We've had more gut busting laughs playing Tackle Tickle than anything else we play.

I also let my 5 year old tee off with 'The Big Dog'...his words...not mine. The objective is just to hit the ball. Then I pick it up and drop him off at the 100 yd marker and he has to use his iron to get it to the green.

Another thing we do is have certain places on the course where anything goes...silly wise. For example, we have a few bridges and tunnels where I park the cart and we make crazy noises and faces...and laugh with each other. They often ask to go to the course with the tunnels b/c they associate that course with acting silly and having fun.

Lastly...this is a PSA for all of you that have kids on the course...ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS take the key out of the cart when you're hitting your shot...and they're still in the cart. Don't ask me why...just do it.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
Nice swing on that young lady!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.