The coveted "silent commitment"

7,573 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Synopsis
HumpitPuryear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.burntorangenation.com/2018/8/16/17670822/texas-longhorns-recruiting-bryan-carrington-t-shirt-shhh-emoji

What am I missing here? A silent commitment sounds an awful lot like a non-commitment to me. Only reason I can think of that a kid who is truly committed would do this is so he can keep getting the attention and take visits to other schools which seems a little dishonest to me, not something you would want to encourage IMO. I actually see it going more like this:

Carrington: Joe, you said you love UT and everything we've got going, let's walk out of here and announce that you are bringing your ample football talent to THE University of Texas! Commit now and just enjoy that senior year of high school.

Joe: Coach playing at UT would be a dream come true but I'm just not ready yet. My parents aren't ready yet. Let us think about it and maybe come down for a game this Fall and we can decide then.

Carrington: Look Joe, we don't do this for everyone but you are a special talent. How about you give UT your "silent commitment"? You just tell me you intend to come to UT. We will hold a spot for you. We will tweet out that we have a new "silent commitment" but no one will know who it is. There will be a lot of conjecture on line and your name will probably get mentioned. It'll be fun! You come take that visit this Fall and then maybe we will make an announcement then, How's that sound?

Joe: LOL, yeah sure coach that's fine. You guys can do that. I'll see you this Fall (rolls eyes at mom).
digging tunnels
AG
You're missing nothing. It's just a way to give those donghorns hope for something good. They know they're getting their ass kicked in recruiting in state, but it's just a deflection. And those idiots eat it up

So damn stupid
TexAg1987
When your football commits are too embarassed to make it public knowledge.
MROD92
They have a ton of silent wins too
Token
AG
I mean Daylon Mack was a legit silent commit, but for the most part , they're all BS
Stevetex.

ITS A MOVEMENT
BiochemAg97
AG
I could see when it might make sense.

1) recruit has a commitment ceremony planned in a few days or so but let's coach know in advance. It is kept quiet to respect kids announcement. I would probably hold off any kind of twitter signal mere days before a kids commitment thing, as the timing probably gives it away.
2) want to spread commits out over a few days so they each bring attention to the program or each get their own day in the spotlight.

I could see a program wanting to hold a commit in their back pocket for a couple of reasons...

3) Have a commit to play when you want to create some "momentum", say because another school is having a big recruiting weekend and might land some recruits.
4) want to hold off on announcing some lower ranked commits to play stat games

If your program is doing 3 or 4, you are in trouble because your coaches are too focused on perception and playing games.

If your program is doing 1 or 2, you don't need to twitter signal a silent commit because that will diminish the whole point of holding off the announcement, which should only be about more attention for the kid.

HumpitPuryear
AG
I can see some of that happening here and there but we are talking about a campaign here complete with t-shirts and emoji. Carrington says it's a "movement". Seems like an extreme case of "turd polishing" to me - take something that's not particularly good news and hype the sheet out of it.
BiochemAg97
AG
HumpitPuryear said:

I can see some of that happening here and there but we are talking about a campaign here complete with t-shirts and emoji. Carrington says it's a "movement". Seems like an extreme case of "turd polishing" to me - take something that's not particularly good news and hype the sheet out of it.

Either that or the "shhh" tweets are just complete BS and their is no connection to silent or real commits, rather just a bunch of noise to generate fauxmentum when other programs are getting commits.

Isn't like you can tie a "shh" tweet to an actual kid.
Mr Global Warming
BiochemAg97 said:

I could see when it might make sense.

1) recruit has a commitment ceremony planned in a few days or so but let's coach know in advance. It is kept quiet to respect kids announcement. I would probably hold off any kind of twitter signal mere days before a kids commitment thing, as the timing probably gives it away.
2) want to spread commits out over a few days so they each bring attention to the program or each get their own day in the spotlight.

I could see a program wanting to hold a commit in their back pocket for a couple of reasons...

3) Have a commit to play when you want to create some "momentum", say because another school is having a big recruiting weekend and might land some recruits.
4) want to hold off on announcing some lower ranked commits to play stat games

If your program is doing 3 or 4, you are in trouble because your coaches are too focused on perception and playing games.

If your program is doing 1 or 2, you don't need to twitter signal a silent commit because that will diminish the whole point of holding off the announcement, which should only be about more attention for the kid.

You are missing a few more:

5) You have some lower ranked kid that you promised playing time and you worry that he'll leave if the higher ranked kid at the same position commits. You want a few more months of him trying to convince everybody he knows that your school is the best opportunity in hopes that he'll be more emotionally invested, run out of space at the other schools he liked, or be too embarrassed to decommit.

****** move.

6) You hope that by showing a couple silent commits that you can use that to convince other kids later that year or in other years that you have several top notch silent commits if you are lagging in recruiting.

Planning to fail.

7) Media guys don't have anything else to sell their fans when they've been wrong 90% of the time. The super-secret silent commit will keep them paying their money to come back for nuggets from the guy inside the trust tree.
goodAg80
AG
Furniture boy wants to create momentum around making recruits think they are filling up their spots.

Horn is leading the nation in silent momentum.
BVAg85
AG
Whenever a&m is ahead of them in recruiting, is when you start hearing about their silent commits. Nothing new with them.
Heisenberg01
AG
What you're missing is he would not be addressed as coach, since he's not a coach. Now if you inserted the player referring to him as "waiter", that would make more sense.
Agsuffering@bulaw
If true, the kid is probably slow-playing, hoping to get an offer from Bama or Southern Cal. If I were tu, I would maybe give him a week to make it official, if he had a good reason.

But, I sure as hell would not pull this shhh stunt, because they will be humiliated if it fails.
Brian DeSpain
Stevetex. said:

ITS A MOVEMENT
Yes it is!! The same kind of movement one may have after their second cup of coffee in the morning. Just load of crap.
Decay
AG
Quote:

Fans can now celebrate the excitement of those moments and join the movement with a new Shhh t-shirt from Breaking T. Best of all, a portion of the proceeds from every sale will benefit the Shepard-Acres Homes Neighborhood Library, which is named after Beulah Shepard, Carrington's grandmother, who was known as the unofficial mayor of Acres Homes.

Libraries provide critical resources to underserved communities, including free internet access and educational opportunities. Shepard-Acres Homes Neighborhood Library itself hosts a summer food program, computer classes, and storytimes for toddlers.
A T-shirt being peddled by BON... supporting a library named after the Assistant Director of Player Personnel's grandmother. What?

Remember this is the same Carrington who was a "sales representative at Gallery Furniture, a garden associate at Home Depot, a waiter/server/bartender at Pappas Seafood House and Olive Garden, a bartender at the Tasting Room, and as a caregiver at Perry Lee Home Health Care", and also attending school at UH and Houston CC in the timeframe of 2008-2015.

NOTHING SUSPICIOUS AT ALL HERE now join the silent commit train today!

Jock 07
AG
Weren't the sips caught trying to do this bull**** last year or before by sending these silent recruits undercover to other schools camps/recruiting days to recruit other kids on behalf of the sips?
HumpitPuryear
AG
Yeah I guess "coach" was the wrong title. Director of Bagman Operations seems more appropriate.

The whole thing just screams "We are pathetic attention *****s". I would be writing a bunch of letters to A&M if we ever start something like this. So stupid.

EDIT Looks like the t-shirt doesn't have the longhorn logo anywhere on it so not really something sanctioned by the university. Still dumb.
Cynical_Texan
AG
Stevetex. said:

ITS A MOVEMENT
It's a movement to another 5-7 season.

You going to stick around when Maryland hands you an 0-1 start?

Didn't think so...
rgag12
AG
In addition to being silent, I hope these recruits are invisible too because I don't see anymore good uncommitted recruits out there that are favoring tu
usmcbrooks
Stevetex. said:

ITS A MOVEMENT
A New Hope
I prefer the sip commits that are no longer silent who immediately announce their recruitment is still open.
Chosen One
Don't worry guys, you might have 25 commitments now, but a g g y de-commitment season is just round the corner. This year it will start around October 1, don't miss it.

Who is this guy Dylon Mack you are talking about? Does he play for you? He must be good, if he gave you a silent commitment.
Jock 07
AG
Wait so sips have transitioned from wait til hairplugs gets all the large eggs in his basket to praying that our small eggs decommit? This just keeps getting better and better by the day.
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
Is this a gadget?

Asking for a friend.
Token
AG
Chosen One said:

Don't worry guys, you might have 25 commitments now, but a g g y de-commitment season is just round the corner. This year it will start around October 1, don't miss it.

Who is this guy Dylon Mack you are talking about? Does he play for you? He must be good, if he gave you a silent commitment.
texas has had more decommits over the last five years than a&m
stick93
AG
Token said:

Chosen One said:

texas has had more decommits over the last five years than a&m

Many of their recent decommits have done so after playing for 2-3 years in Austin.
HumpitPuryear
AG
So about the same time horn players are tweeting other schools at halftime?
Agvet12
AG
Chosen One said:

Does that mean yours begins against Maryland?
Ag In Ok
AG
If a silent commit decommits, does it even make a noise?
YouBet
AG
If this is real then it's really embarrassing. Wow.
80s Guy
Ag In Ok said:

If a silent commit decommits, does it even make a noise?

It sounds like a virgin queef in a Lubbock sandstorm.
Mr Global Warming
tsips are banking on everybody leaving if we lose to tough teams like Clemson or Bama the year after they held on to many recruits while getting embarrased repeatedly. They even believe the bull**** they spew, but hope this years' recruits weren't as paying much attention to college football last year.
Agvet12
AG
Only "some" do
Joe Exotic
AG
Chosen One said:

Do you ever get tired of looking like a T-shirt sip dumbass?

Texas A&M Decommits - 27 Total

- Tony Stevens - 4* WR
- Kerrick Huggins - 4* DT
- Christian LaCouture - 4* SDE
- Quincy Adeboyejo - 3* WR
- Johnny Jefferson - 3* RB
- Kenny Flowers - 3* ILB
- Cameron Echols-Luper - 3* WR

- Dylan Sumner-Gardner - 4* S
- Shaun Nixon - 4* APB

- Daylon Mack - 5* DT - Recommitted to A&M
- Damarkus Lodge - 4* WR
- Rodney Anderson - 4* APB
- Richard Moore - 3* OLB - Recommitted to A&M

- Greg Little - 5* OT
- Tyrie Cleveland - 4* WR
- Patrick Hudson - 4* OG (Signed with Baylor then transferred to t.u.)
- Quartney Davis - 4* WR - Recommitted to A&M
- Mark Jackson Jr. - 4* WDE
- Irv Smith Jr. - 3* TE
- Ratu Mafileo - 3* DT
- Zarrian Holcombe - 3* TE

- Tate Martell - 4* QB
- Travis Etienne - 4* RB
- Mannie Netherly - 4* WR
- Creed Humphrey - 4* OC
- Buddy Johnson - 3* OLB - Recommitted to A&M
- Tyree Owens - 3* SDE

- Leon O' Neal Jr. - 4* S - Recommitted to A&M
- Bobby Brown - 4* DT - Recommitted to A&M
- DaShaun White - 4* OLB
- Dominic Livingston - 3* DT
- Cade Fortin - 3* QB

- Bobby Wolfe - 4* CB - Recommitted to A&M
- Grant Gunnell - 4* QB

t.u. Decommits - 33 Total

- Ricky Seals Jones - 5* ATH (Signed with A&M)
- A'Shawn Robinson - 5* OT
- Daeshon Hall - 4* WDE (Signed with A&M)
- Kyle Hicks - 4* RB
- Durham Smythe - 4* TE

- Demetrius Knox - 4* OG
- Otaro Alaka - 4* OLB (Signed with A&M)
- Zaycoven Henderson - 4* DT (Signed with A&M)
- Sione Teuhema - 3* WDE
- Emanuel Porter - 3* WR
- Trey Lealaimatafao - 3* DT
- Daniel Gresham - 3* FB
- Courtney Garnett - 3* DT
- Corbin Daly - 3* P

- Maea Teuhema - 5* OG
- Toby Weathersby - 4* OT
- John Burt - 4* WR - Recommitted to t.u.
- Connor Lanfear - 4* OT (Signed with A&M)
- Jordan Stevenson - 4* RB
- Jamile Johnson - 3* S
- Louis Brown - 3* ATH
- Keke Coutee - 3* ATH
- Bryce English - 3* DT
- Kevin Ramsey - 3* S
- Aaron Garza - 3* OG

- Tren'Davian Dickson - 4* WR
- Obi Eboh - 3* CB

- Lagaryonn Carson - 4* SDE
- Major Tennison - 4* TE
- Xavier Newman - 3* OG

- Justin Watkins - 4* WR
- Ron Tatum - 4* SDE
- Rondale Moore - 4* WR
- Dominick Wood-Anderson - 4* TE

- None...yet
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.