CU Thoughts On Texas Joining The PAC

6,956 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Kemo Sabe
Madman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

SEC is a no go. Could the PAC door also be shut?
Decay
AG
There's now 5 conferences with former neighbors of the esteemed Longhorns:

SEC (us, Arkansas)
PAC (Colorado)
B1G (Nebraska)
American (Houston, SMU)
CUSA (Rice)

And of course the current Big 12 inmates. There's a whole lot of history out there for teams to discuss what kind of business partner they are. Seems like lots of skeletons in lots of closets...

DallasAg 94
Decay said:

There's now 5 conferences with former neighbors of the esteemed Longhorns:

SEC (us, Arkansas)
PAC (Colorado)
B1G (Nebraska)
American (Houston, SMU)
CUSA (Rice)

And of course the current Big 12 inmates. There's a whole lot of history out there for teams to discuss what kind of business partner they are. Seems like lots of skeletons in lots of closets...
Decay - Your list is too short. Texas has a lot more blood on it's hands:

AAC: Cincinati, Temple, Tulane, UConn, South Florida, UCF <- All Final 12 schools (you already mentioned Houston and SMU
Mountain West: Colorado State, Air Force
Indy: BYU

Schools invited to tango, but only to watch (Part of the 19 schools that didn't make the cut to 12):
AAC: East Carolina
MW: Boise State, San Diego State, UNLV, New Mexico
Sun Belt: Arkie State
MAC: No. Illinois

The Sips and OU basically said E Carolina, 3 MW schools, the whole Sun Belt and MAC conferences, "you so ugly... I give you the eye test and you ugly."

To the 12, they said they are worth making them walk the cat walk so they can mock them, but aren't worth taking home.

That's a bunch of pissed off people.

If I were any of those 19 schools, I would NOT schedule either the Sips or Sooners.
Madman
AG
and mizzu
nu awlins ag
AG
The kid on the street that no one wants to play with?
aggiehawg
AG
Missouri is also in the SEC, FTR.

I doubt the PAC leadership will hold the grudge, especially if the Central Time Zone presence becomes the deal breaker on the PACN. UofH isn't big enough to carry the state. Neither are Tech, TCU nor Baylor. They would have to take tu.

And when I say deal-breaker on the PACN, I am referring to the PAC finally selling an equity stake to a media partner in order to get better distribution. If it's ESPN, they'll of course push the sips just to find a way to make a silk purse out of the sow's ear that is the LHN.

But would Fox? If Fox steps up to buy a stake in the PAC, they'll push Oklahoma because they have the Tier III rights. Would they want tu, though? Think they would still have to take them.
Rocco S
None of the other P conferences want tu with the LHN. It's just not happening. Even without the LHN, the SEC isn't happening and they soured themselves pretty bad to the PAC 5 years ago.

IMO tu will go independent in football and send their other sports to CUSA. The remaining big 12 schools will add Cin, Memphis, UH, which will give them 12 schools and two divisions.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Money and recruiting drive the bus. If the sips dropped the LHN, the PAC, B1G and ACC would welcome them with open arms.

But, the sips would want to bring their posse with them. ou is the only member of the posse that would be tolerated at this point. IF the PAC got desperate enough down the road, it might tolerate more than just ou.

I am telling everyone- unless the television market or or bowl system shift radically, the sips are staying. They will just extort more tribute from the dwarves.
aggiehawg
AG
I can see where Delany might be tempted to consider adding KU and tu to get to 16. Both AAU schools, Kansas basketball, etc.

Not sure if Nebraska alone would be able to block it, although it they had their druther, OU would get the call instead of tu.
DallasAg 94
And tu to the PAC is still a blow for the Sips.

For us Rangers fans, West Coast games are terrible. 8pm game starts. blah.

Travel distance?!

Austin to LA: 3:30 (USC, UCLA)
Austin to SFO: 4:00 (Cal, Stanford)
Austin to Portland\Seattle: 4:20 (Oregon, Oregon State, Wash, Wash State)

Not only brutal for the Athletes, but for students and fans.
Decay
AG
Madman said:

and mizzu
Oh yeah. Let's be real, it's not the first time they've been overlooked.
bryanhome
The late game at Cal this year cooled the Longhorns to the PAC 12 crowd.
Rocco S
bryanhome said:

Gosh y'all are just adorable
C Loves L
TheGreatSpagett
&
Av98s are athletic directors? President?
Bama Backer 1974
S
Decay said:

JThere's now 5 conferences with former neighbors of the esteemed Longhorns:

SEC (us, Arkansas)
PAC (Colorado)
B1G (Nebraska)
American (Houston, SMU)
CUSA (Rice)

Forgot Missouri

Roll Tide
coupland boy
AG
Rocco S said:

bryanhome said:

Just curious. What do you mean? I've seen more than one longhorn facebook friend lamenting how late that game ended.

Considering how much grief we got for willing to subject our "kids" to the brutal SEC travel schedule, i still find the 2010 effort to go to the PAC very ironic.
2wealfth Man
AG
Rocco S said:

None of the other P conferences want tu with the LHN. It's just not happening. Even without the LHN, the SEC isn't happening and they soured themselves pretty bad to the PAC 5 years ago.

IMO tu will go independent in football and send their other sports to CUSA. The remaining big 12 schools will add Cin, Memphis, UH, which will give them 12 schools and two divisions.
They'll probably throw them some sort of "scheduling alliance" bone for a few FB games a year. That also helps sip to fill their schedule.
FincAg
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Travel distance?!

Austin to Ames : 4:00 hours
Austin to Charleston : 4:30 hours
Austin to Manhattan : 3:40 hours
Austin to Lawrence : 3:00 hours

And they have those every year, or a few of them. At least in the PAC with the Arizona schools, they would only go out to the West coast time zone once or twice a year.
brainman5000
AG
And if they'd added BYU...

Btw, WVU is in Morgantown.
APHIS AG
t.u. is a pariah. They have earned it however, in their sociopathic minds, they still think that they are the queen of the ball.

They will find out if they take the plunge when the GOR runs out but I think they will first test the waters and when they find out that they truly are "unwanted", they will "heroically" again save the BDF.
DatTallArchitect
AG
I believe he mentioned Houston, SMU, and Rice because they were old SWC members, not because any were scorned in the bdf expansion debacle
Rocco S
coupland boy said:

Rocco S said:

bryanhome said:

Just curious. What do you mean? I've seen more than one longhorn facebook friend lamenting how late that game ended.

Considering how much grief we got for willing to subject our "kids" to the brutal SEC travel schedule, i still find the 2010 effort to go to the PAC very ironic.

The point I'm making is they think any conference would not only take them but would make special considerations for them. He's saying it like "well what's keeping us from the PAC is the time difference" as if the PAC is just waiting on their phone call with open arms.
StephenvilleAg77
If things in the Pac12 were equal to the BTN and SEC, the majority of Pac12 members would vote to limit membership to their current 12.

But things are not equal. The P12 chose the wrong model for its tv network. As a result, the P12 Network is not making money.

aggiehawg
AG
StephenvilleAg77 said:

If things in the Pac12 were equal to the BTN and SEC, the majority of Pac12 members would vote to limit membership to their current 12.

But things are not equal. The P12 chose the wrong model for its tv network. As a result, the P12 Network is not making money.

This.

If the PACN was performing better, not a chance in hell they would consider further expansion. As it is, it is still on the table for them. Not at the forefront, but still a possibility.
Snap E Tom
StephenvilleAg77 said:

How is the P12 network model different from the SEC and BTN networks?
aggiehawg
AG
Snap E Tom said:

StephenvilleAg77 said:

How is the P12 network different from the SEC and BTN networks?
Conference owns it outright. They don't have any media partners. They were selling it and trying to get distribution deals on their own without either Fox nor ESPN leverage. And they sucked at it.
coupland boy
AG
Gotcha.
ccatag
AG
aggiehawg said:

Snap E Tom said:

StephenvilleAg77 said:

Conference owns it outright. They don't have any media partners. They were selling it and trying to get distribution deals on their own without either Fox nor ESPN leverage. And they sucked at it.
Plus, they regionalized their network(s). They have 6 separate networks devoted to two teams apiece. Almost like having six separate longhorn networks. I'm guessing these networks have real content problems - a lot of repetition day in and out. And how does having six separate networks promote conference unity and the chance to learn more about all of the teams in your conference?

I like the SEC Network because I get all 14 teams centralized and together. For the most part the broadcasts are always fresh and diverse day in and out.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Plus, they regionalized their network(s). They have 6 separate networks devoted to two teams apiece. Almost like having six separate longhorn networks. I'm guessing these networks have real content problems - a lot of repetition day in and out. And how does having six separate networks promote conference unity and the chance to learn more about all of the teams in your conference?

I like the SEC Network because I get all 14 teams centralized and together. For the most part the broadcasts are always fresh and diverse day in and out.
The regional networks were certainly not a good mover from a cost analysis, but I think I know why they did that.

First, the PAC's Tier I media deals aren't that hot, partially due to time zones and media windows. Whereas the SEC has CBS, ESPN, ESPN2 and SECN as available platforms for the SEC games each with multiple time windows from 11:00 AM until primetime, the PAC does not.

With a single PACN, fewer games could be shown. With the regional PAC networks, they can show more content and have more games happening at the same time.

Does that make sense?
Snap E Tom
Ah gotcha. Interesting. Thanks, y'all.
EKUAg
AG
aggiehawg said:

Snap E Tom said:

StephenvilleAg77 said:

They also did a regional model where it has regional two school network coverage if I remember correctly.
aggiehawg
AG
Yes. That was discussed a few posts above.

I still think that has more to do with the time zone problems and TV windows most likely. No one is going to play a 9:00 AM game on the West Coast.
DallasAg 94
DatTallArchitect said:

I believe he mentioned Houston, SMU, and Rice because they were old SWC members, not because any were scorned in the bdf expansion debacle
I know why. Class of '94.

I included them to add to the fullness of representation.
DallasAg 94
FincAg said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Travel distance?!

Austin to Ames : 4:00 hours
Austin to Charleston : 4:30 hours
Austin to Manhattan : 3:40 hours
Austin to Lawrence : 3:00 hours

And they have those every year, or a few of them. At least in the PAC with the Arizona schools, they would only go out to the West coast time zone once or twice a year.
Keep in mind those are commercial flight times, which include a layover.

Direct flights... charters that the Football and Basketball teams would take would likely be much less.

All the rest... too bad.

Also, commercial to the closest airport to Morgantown (From what I've heard) is like 90 mins (Pittsburgh) away by bus. So you spend 3hrs on a plane, get to a bus and spend another 90 mins on bus. LOL.

And think about WV's perspective.
Morgantown
to Tech
to DFW
to Austin
to Waco

Imagine the Volleyball team busing from MT to Pitt, fly from Pitt to Austin, then bus up to Waco.

WV needed to get paid, I suppose. They ought to use that money for Charter flights, but as I understand it... the runway in Morgantown isn't long enough.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

I can see where Delany might be tempted to consider adding KU and tu to get to 16. Both AAU schools, Kansas basketball, etc.

Sure, but how desperate would the sips have to be to jump at that deal? I would think the world would need to be turned upside down before they jumped conferences w/o ou.

Edit: And as awful as tu was in the B12, Nebraska should consider letting it ride. tu would not be calling the shots. Playing tu every year would get Nebraska back into TX recruiting. The BDF would be gutted. Nebraska should be able to take recruits away from the dwarves.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.