bdf expansion reality tv show: latest

16,675 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Iowaggie
AGBOOSTER
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FWIW

Made the cut

Air Force
BYU
Cincinnati
Colorado State
Houston
Memphis
Rice
South Florida
SMU
Temple
Tulane
UCF
UConn

Missed the cut

Arkansas State
Boise State
East Carolina
New Mexico
Northern Illinois
San Diego State
UNLV

Even considering arkie lite raises the bdf's desperation to a new level.
Post removed:
by user
schwack schwack
AG
Congratulations - you made the cut!

45-70Ag
AG
To miss the cut amongst those schools.............you must suck
SlackerAg
AG
Best of the worst
Bottlehead90
AG
More power bottom
The Collective
AG
SMU, will you accept this rose?
TwoTimeAg
AG
Sometimes you win by losing...this is an prime example of such a scenario.
I'm confused. Is it considered winning if you make the cut or miss the cut?
"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
aTm2004
AG
Rice?

aggiehawg
AG
From landthieves:

quote:
At one time, PAC wanted us. SEC wanted us. Even those fat, corn fed ****s at BIG wanted us. We used to be 115, and a toned ass hottie of a conference.

BUT NO. We stuck with the trailer trash boyfriend who promised to take care of us one day with his trust fund, but he is just a skirt chasing, insecure ****.

As the boy was treating us like ****, we had not one, but two hotties in Clemson and FSU who wanted to move into the neighborhood, but that paranoid **** of a boyfriend ended up chasing them away.

Now, we are two bills with cellulite, a bad hair tint and no upward mobility, chasing the 46 year old trucker at the end of the bar because at least he has a job - with a pervy next door neighbor that won't stop peeking through my curtains.
RESPONSE:

quote:
The Big 12 is a family.
OU is the abused wife of the Big 12. UT is the drunken abusing dad. KU is the oldest sister who knows mom and dad fight and tries to take care of the kids (KSU, ISU, OSU, Rapist, and TCU). WVU is the outcast black sheep who has moved out already as a teenager.

OU has tried to put it's foot down making demands (Network, CCG, expansion)but UT just keeps on getting drunk on power slapping the **** out of OU. OU could leave but want's to stay and try to work it out for the kids sake. There is no long term plan for the family (conference) at this point. Right now the family is in counseling as the public **** show unfolds. All the neighbors (SEC, ACC, B1G, PAC) know UT is abusive but won't say anything.

quote:
for the lulz:
MHver3 7h7 hours ago
  • B12 knows who they want. All this crap they are doing now asking for more presentations is just wasting time and resources of these schools.
  • The Houston thing is what's pulling everything down. UT hasn't yet gotten what they want from Houston and will drag this crap out until
  • B12 knows who they want for 11 and 12 that is.
  • 13 and 14 are almost set but there is still a chance that 13 and 14 don't happen.
  • BYU and UC are in. Houston wants in and they don't believe there will be a 13 and 14
  • It's all a giant mess.
  • Could see this drag out to the new year.
  • BostonCoug uT thought They could string Houston along and get what they wanted. Houston playing the game well.

I don't know if this guy knows anyone, but this idea of UT and Houston playing games makes sense to me and hasn't been put out there before. UT wants to have a branch campus in Houston and already has land (as an "investment"....sure). I can see if either of them gets what they want, they back-stab and don't follow through with their reciprocal part....both Texas and Houston.

And one more that isn't that funny, but hadn't thought anyone believed this:

quote:
Considering all the money put into this expansion, and the PR behind it, it would be typical Big 12 presidents if the Big 12 didn't expand after all this, considering how dumb it would look and the millions wasted. Ultimately though, I don't see them not expanding. Not after ESPN stabbed the Big 12 in the back with the ACCN
Look at the population in the footprint of the ACC ( +Notre Dame) versus the population in the footprint of the Big XII. I wouldn't think ESPN stabbed anyone in the back, more than they made a business decision based on feasibility. ACCN is feasible. A Big XII Network, sans the sips, is not.
Phatbob
AG
quote:
From landthieves:

quote:
The Big 12 is a family.
OU is the abused wife of the Big 12. UT is the drunken abusing dad. KU is the oldest sister who knows mom and dad fight and tries to take care of the kids (KSU, ISU, OSU, Rapist, and TCU). WVU is the outcast black sheep who has moved out already as a teenager.

OU has tried to put it's foot down making demands (Network, CCG, expansion)but UT just keeps on getting drunk on power slapping the **** out of OU. OU could leave but want's to stay and try to work it out for the kids sake. There is no long term plan for the family (conference) at this point. Right now the family is in counseling as the public **** show unfolds. All the neighbors (SEC, ACC, B1G, PAC) know UT is abusive but won't say anything.

Where the hell have they been living? In this analogy, they are more like wife #4 where wives 1-3 all have restraining orders.
Bottlehead90
AG
Ou is part of the problem. When they look at other conferences is it ok? But they complain about stability.

If I didn't know they were slow, I would call them myopic.
AgCat93
AG
Again, so very thankful for Bowtie and his foresight to get A&M out of that mess of a conference.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG

quote:
Look at the population in the footprint of the ACC ( +Notre Dame) versus the population in the footprint of the Big XII. I wouldn't think ESPN stabbed anyone in the back, more than they made a business decision based on feasibility. ACCN is feasible. A Big XII Network, sans the sips, is not.
Consider the following: OU is playing a top 10 match up this Saturday. Guess what time slot the vaunted Sooners managed to get: 11:00 a.m. Playoff team from last year. Top 10 match up at a neutral site. On at 11:00 ****ing a. m. That ought to succinctly explain their reality.
aggiehawg
AG
It has been quite a shock for OU to discover they really aren't that great as an addition to other P5 conferences. I can almost sympathize with them because I can easily see how we might have been in the same position had it not been for Bowtie and Machen.

People kind of forget that Delany's original expansion plan considered a B1G with as many 20 teams. And this was back in 2009. The B1G was at 11 members at the time and wanted a CCG, but had to get to 12 teams under NCAA rules. And Delany was eyeing the sips and us and possibly OU, Nebraska and Mizzou. Except for OU, all flagships and AAU members and gets him to 16. But tu's Powers put the kibosh on that (infamous "tech problem") and OU without schools in Texas coming along AND not being AAU was a hard sell to the Presidents of the B1G schools.

At about the same time, Larry Scott (who was a newbie to being a conference commissioner) saw where the B1G was heading and knew he had to keep up. At least get a CCG as that was worth $$$$$$$. The TexHoma five (including us) plus Colorado got him to 16 overnight. It also would block both the B1G and SEC in future expansion. He'd "corner-the-market" for lack of a better term.

So, 16 member conferences kind of became the conventional wisdom as the preferred number. Using that number, there would appear to be some room for OU somewhere. After all, they are a brand and a helmet school and Sooner fans just couldn't conceive where they could possibly be left out.

No one has gone to 16 teams yet. The transitions to the last round of realignment have been rocky for some conferences and there is some internal squabbling going on because some rivalry games were lost. (Basically the B1G and the ACC have this problem.) Also, the travel costs with geographically far flung conferences have dismayed a few, leading to a re-consideration of expansion.

In the game of musical chairs in conference realignment, the music stopped way before OU expected it to stop.
Junction1956
Aggiehawg, good morning! Hope your day is going great.

The Big 12 is not going to expand unless the rest of the conference has the GOR extended. No extension, the conference is at the mercy of Texas. Texas ain't signing..

Roll Tide
aggiehawg
AG
quote:

The Big 12 is not going to expand unless the rest of the conference has the GOR extended. No extension, the conference is at the mercy of Texas. Texas ain't signing..

Roll Tide
If that is true (and I'm not saying it is not) then the sips have already decided to leave near the end of the GOR. They might think they can make a run at being an independent in football and park their other sports in the Big XII.

If they are thinking of going indy, I believe that would be a disaster for them.

DifferenceMaker Ag
quote:
Rice?

They're putting the band back together.
wbt5845
AG
quote:
People kind of forget that Delany's original expansion plan considered a B1G with as many 20 teams. And this was back in 2009. The B1G was at 11 members at the time and wanted a CCG, but had to get to 12 teams under NCAA rules. And Delany was eyeing the sips and us and possibly OU, Nebraska and Mizzou. Except for OU, all flagships and AAU members and gets him to 16. But tu's Powers put the kibosh on that (infamous "tech problem") and OU without schools in Texas coming along AND not being AAU was a hard sell to the Presidents of the B1G schools.
Can you imagine?

B1G West
Texas
Texas A&M
OU
Nebraska
Mizzou
Iowa
Minnesota
Illinois

B1G East
Penn State
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Northwestern
Indiana
Purdue
Wisconsin

While that would not have been best for us, that would be something that would stand up to the SEC.
wbt5845
AG
quote:
quote:

Roll Tide
If that is true (and I'm not saying it is not) then the sips have already decided to leave near the end of the GOR. They might think they can make a run at being an independent in football and park their other sports in the Big XII.

If they are thinking of going indy, I believe that would be a disaster for them.
I think they have decided they want to keep options open and thus will sign no further GoR. While they will acknowledge that destabilizes the BDF, they will be indifferent since they think t.u. will always land on their feet.

They are a truly repugnant partner.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Can you imagine?

B1G West
Texas
Texas A&M
OU
Nebraska
Mizzou
Iowa
Minnesota
Illinois

B1G East
Penn State
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Northwestern
Indiana
Purdue
Wisconsin

While that would not have been best for us, that would be something that would stand up to the SEC.
I would switch out Illinois and Wisconsin. Keeps them with Northwestern. But yeah, it would have been a helluva league. I would think is would have still been doable without us, just add Kansas (AAU) or ISU (also AAU and partner for Iowa) had the sips been amenable to being the only Texas team in the B1G, and we went to the SEC.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
I think they have decided they want to keep options open and thus will sign no further GoR. While they will acknowledge that destabilizes the BDF, they will be indifferent since they think t.u. will always land on their feet.

Keeping their options open means they aren't devoted to the Big XII long term. I can understand why OU would be reluctant to extend the GOR because they are not happy, but I didn't think the sips were that unhappy with their creation--the current BDF.
StephenvilleAg77
quote:
The schools who make the cut, Dodd wrote, will be brought in for a "detailed interview with the Big 12 at a neutral site." ESPN.
Will it be a "detailed interview" like the last time?

"Hi, Deloss. I'm Chris del Conte. I'm the Athletic Director at Texas Christian, and I'd like to discuss the possibility of TCU joining the Big12."

"Pleased to meet you, Dale. Texas Wesleyan, huh? Sorry I kept you waiting outside my office for 5 hours."

"No problem, Deloss. And my name's Chris. From TCU. Now, about the Big12--"

"Dale, it's 4 pm and I need a drink. There's a bar three blocks from here. Let's go talk there."
twk
AG
quote:
quote:

Keeping their options open means they aren't devoted to the Big XII long term. I can understand why OU would be reluctant to extend the GOR because they are not happy, but I didn't think the sips were that unhappy with their creation--the current BDF.
What's baffling is that the sips want to "keep their options open" in 2025, but, so long as the LHN contract is still in effect, they have no options until 2031, other than independence, which isn't really an option at all. If I were representing one of the little fish in the BDF, I would make a damn nuisance of myself asking the t.u. folks how they square that circle--either commit to the conference through the end of the LHN, signing a GOR extension that will make expansion palatable, or just go ahead and announce to the world that you are a free agent in 2025, and are putting the LHN deal on the table in your negotiations.

By "keeping their options open," all they are doing is telling the world that they can't let go of Deloss's delusional dream where they could have a network that insured they made $10 million more than every other member of their conference, while presiding over a docile and complacent conference where they called the shots.
Junction1956
quote:
quote:
The schools who make the cut, Dodd wrote, will be brought in for a "detailed interview with the Big 12 at a neutral site." ESPN.
Will it be a "detailed interview" like the last time?

"Hi, Deloss. I'm Chris del Conte. I'm the Athletic Director at Texas Christian, and I'd like to discuss the possibility of TCU joining the Big12."

"Pleased to meet you, Dale. Texas Wesleyan, huh? Sorry I kept you waiting outside my office for 5 hours."

"No problem, Deloss. And my name's Chris. From TCU. Now, about the Big12--"

"Dale, it's 4 pm and I need a drink. There's a bar three blocks from here. Let's go talk there."
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
What's baffling is that the sips want to "keep their options open" in 2025, but, so long as the LHN contract is still in effect, they have no options until 2031, other than independence, which isn't really an option at all.
I'm not sure they believe that independence is not an option. Under the old BCS regime, conferences were emphasized for access to to the title game. Notre Dame was able to negotiate a side deal where they continued to have access, but their SOS at the time was still very strong and they had the national following that maintain interest in a title game with them in it.

With the CFP regime, conferences are less of a determining factor for access, unless you consider SOS conference specific.

The unknown factor is which teams would agree to play tu and what their terms would be. Personally, I would think big name teams wouldn't immediately rule it out (notwithstanding the LHN issue) as a game with the sips would generate interest and as an indy the sips would still qualify as a P5 school for OOC fulfillment.

So who would these marquee teams be? Southern Cal, Oregon, Penn State, Sooners (of course), Michigan, Notre Dame, Free Shoes U, Miami and maybe a few SEC programs like Bama, Arkansas, LSU and Georgia. Scheduling would be a nightmare for the horns, however, and they would be forced to back-fill with other teams in some years.

That may be what they are doing now. Quietly gauging interest from those other schools. Testing the waters because they believe they have time to do so. And under the LHN contract, their going indy was specifically addressed. ESPN could be very helpful with arranging talks with these other programs, too.
StephenvilleAg77
One thing I admire about FSU is they are not scared to play anyone in the regular season. That was Bobby Bowden's mantra, and the school has continued to follow that scheduling philosophy.

That's how FSU has ended up playing so many awesome regular season games the past 35 years. They played against some of Holtz's best NDame teams, RC's Wrecking Crew, Michigan's Big Blue, Bob Stoops' Sooners, Dr. Tom's powerhouse Cornhusker teams, Spurrier's Gators, and Miami's talent-laden Hurricane teams.

Oddly enough, lil brother sip never played a regular season game against any of Bobby's FSU teams.

'Course the sips didn't want to schedule Miami or Florida in the regular season either. The 1991 Cotton Bowl cured the sips of any desires to play any of those 3 teams.
MROD92
Even if they could work out the football schedule of independence as you suggest, what about the scheduling for other sports? I just don't see it being viable
Junction1956
Travel costs and scheduling would kill an independent Texas on all sports not football.

No conference in basketball would mean an at large bid for both men and women's teams.

Perhaps a move to a basketball only conference.

It's their problem.

Roll Tide
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
Even if they could work out the football schedule of independence as you suggest, what about the scheduling for other sports? I just don't see it being viable
Park the rest of the sports in the Big XII. When Notre Dame was independent, they parked their other sports in the Big East, for instance.
aggiehawg
AG
From the shag:

quote:
The Big 12 is a family.

UT is the husband who has a job, goes to work everyday and pays the bills.

OU is the wife who stays home ostensibly to study for class and get her degree so she can help with the bills, but who actually watches reality TV, texts her friends and flirts with old boyfriends on Facebook.

Her ongoing texting narrative is that she is such a victim because her husband "just doesn't understand her."

Texas Tech and Oklahoma State are the couple's labrador retrievers. Ones yellow and ones brown. One is loyal to the husband, the other is loyal to the wife. They're good dogs, friendly dogs, lovable dogs and they're happy to just be alive. But they honestly they just eat and $#@!.

West Virginia is the tomcat that sprays the doggie door. The labs hate him and the husband sprinkles cayenne pepper all over the yard to keep it away but it keeps coming back.

Baylor and TCU are a couple of parakeets. They're loud and obnoxious. They like to bang their heads against their mirrors. They actually poop more than they eat.

Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State is a family of possums living in the attic. Nobody even knows they're there except for the labs but the labs are unable to articulate that fact. The possums like to gnaw on the wiring. Someday one of them is liable to kill himself and burn down the house.
W
AG
I think t.u. needs to do whatever is necessary to get out of the BDF. And if that means going independent for 2 or 3 years...go ahead and do it. Yes, it will potentially be a scheduling nightmare for the minor sports; but only for a couple of seasons. Travel costs might actually go down, because the horns would play 70-80% of all their games in all sports in Austin
Bottlehead90
AG
But don't forget fsu played in a very weak acc. They had to play tough non-conference to get any respect.
And fsu had a chance to join the sec, but chose to stay in the weak acc
aggiehawg
AG
Landthieves again:

quote:
It's among the same as the joke about a Big 12 party where

Texas invites a friend (Houston) over that nobody really wants there but doesn't want to tell Texas that in front of Houston.

OU and KU are the two that sit in the back looking out the window going back on all the memories of how great this party used to be.

KSU is the dude that sits on the couch drinking their beer that doesn't talk much because they don't want to embarrass their friend in KU.

WVU is the crazy dude that is completely drunk that wants to do stupid stuff that can get them hurt.

TCU and ISU are the ones in the room with KSU just trying to enjoy themselves but worry about the party ending soon.

TTU is the security, making sure everyone follows the rules laid out, and if not, they will go after them

Baylor is the school that wasn't invited due to previous allegations at parties

Cincy, BYU are at the front of the line to get into the party, while Memphis is trying to bribe TTU to let them in, UConn is elbowing their way up, SMU and Rice keep yelling at Texas to help them get in, Tulane is talking way to intelligently for anyone to understand, and UCF and USF brought hot chicks as a way to try and get their way in.

Missouri and A&m are in the bushes laughing at what the party has become, and at the same time, remember how fun the old parties used to be, so they have mixed emotions

Nebraska is in another set bushes wishing they were at the party, but also glad they aren't.

Colorado is in the bushes getting high and is happy.
The Big XII: Putting the "fun" in dysfunction since 1996.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.