Baylor's top 3 2016 recruits have not reported

11,974 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by wbt5845
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So far, Copperas Cove offensive lineman J.P. Urquidez, Port Arthur Memorial running back Kameron Martin and Silsbee offensive lineman Patrick Hudson have yet to report. Others aren't there but say they'll be there this week. Make no mistake - these are the crown jewels of their class.

This is three of their four star recruits - they had nine in this class. Unknown if there are others not reporting as of this time.The other 4 star recruits are: Zach Smith, QB, Grandview (spring enrollee); Tren'Davian ****son, WR, Navasota; Devin Duvernay, WR, Sachse; Branton Autry, OL, Coffeyville, KS (JUCO); Brandon Bowen, DE, Trophy Club; Parrish Cobb, DB,Waco.

Keep in mind schools want their freshman on campus for summer school to start conditioning and get a few courses under their belts before the fall, so Baylor wants all these guys on campus now.

Now, the 4* guys have a shot at landing somewhere if they can get a release - 3* and lower probably not at this late a date so they should probably just stay.

Baylor had the #16 ranked class in the nation for 2016. Losing there three guys would drop them to about the #30 ranking, perhaps? 2017 class has fallen totally apart.
Spotted Ag
AG
Zach Smith enrolled for the spring semester.
End Of Message
wbt5845
AG
quote:
Zach Smith enrolled for the spring semester.
Thanks.
Muy
AG
the sooner they get to campus. the sooner they can start conditioning. Even with no coaches, they can run from the press to get in shape.
goodAg80
AG
quote:
the sooner they get to campus. the sooner they can start conditioning. Even with no coaches, they can run from the press or restrain young women to get in shape.
Muy
AG
damn
Joe Exotic
AG
Baylor will probably force them into school without their consent.
quidam65
I wonder if any of them will try the trick that the OU player did in getting out of his t-sip commitment? (I can't remember the player's name)
wbt5845
AG
quote:
I wonder if any of them will try the trick that the OU player did in getting out of his t-sip commitment? (I can't remember the player's name)
The deal with t.u. was the foreign language requirement. The kid willfully chose to make himself ineligible. Strong play by the kid and it worked out for him.

Doubtful any of these could pull that off with Baylor - as a private school , they can chose to admit whoever they like.
goodAg80
AG
quote:

Lampkin
BESCo91
AG
2017 baylor verbal commits, with an A&M offer:
- Kellen Mond, #4 rated Dual QB nationally.

2016 baylor LOI, not enrolled yet, had an A&M offer:
- Devin Duvernay, #4 rated WR nationally.
- Patrick Hudson, #2 rated OG nationally.
- Kameron Martin, #7 rated APB nationally.
- Parrish Cobb, #30 rated CB nationally.
The Collective
AG
Make no mistake - they are holding assistants right now that will be gone... hoping to get these kids enrolled.
BESCo91
AG
quote:
Make no mistake - they are holding assistants right now that will be gone... hoping to get these kids enrolled.
You have a good source on that, or are you just using your own judgment?
For the record, I think you're probably right.
Bullet Tooth Tony
quote:
Like before Fall Practice, or after the season? I would say near 100% chance there are multiple assistants gone after the season, no matter what the record is, but before Fall Practice would be a different story, and it would partially prove that Baylor is still in damage control and cover-up mode.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Guys, remember that not all schools are out. Many are still in session and graduation hasn't occurred yet. So there is no reason to expect that some or even all of these guys would be on the Baylor campus today. Copperas Cove, for example, doesn't hold graduation until Friday, so it is NEXT Monday that you'd be looking at; not today.

But, going forward, I went to the LOI website to see what their options are. They can't just not show up and get out of the LOI contract.

Although it doesn't come right out and say it in so many words, I believe if Baylor were to give the player a release, he could then be recruited by other schools. He can't sign another LOI, but I don't believe that would be a barrier to playing for someone else this fall. If Baylor doesn't give them a release, I think their only option is JuCo. I also think in football once you go Juco, you are committed for 2 years, but I may be wrong about that.

Also keep in mind that, according to the LOI, they don't HAVE to show up until fall practices begin.
The Collective
AG
I do not know it for a fact... just piecing things together. I think there are coaches gone before fall practice.
redd38
AG
The right thing for Baylor to do would be to release them from the LOIs. I don't expect Baylor to do that though.
The Collective
AG
A full qualifier in juco can transfer immediately in most cases (see Josh Reynolds), but I have no way of knowing how the LOI with Baylor impacts that rule.
mazzag
AG
A former wake forest qb was on Sirius college this morning. He said Grobe redshirted all his freshman. I wonder how these 4*'s feel about that.
45-70Ag
AG
Weren't the penn state players given a full release.
Decay
AG
Some of these guys are trying to get their LOI released by Baylor. It's kinda like holding out of NFL training camp, if you're not there and practicing, you have some leverage. Hard to say if Baylor will cave though - the NCAA hasn't forced them to release the LOIs and Baylor would only do it to appease public pressure. They might feel like canning Briles was their pound of flesh and will dig in from here... Hard to say.

Notice that zero of this has anything to do with "the right thing". Looks like $$$ and wins are still driving the boat.
The Collective
AG
quote:

Yea, but that will take the NCAA getting involved. If you are a player, do you want to roll the dice?

On the RS issue, hard to know what this coach will do. Since he's an interim guy, it will be whatever he is told to do by his boss (BOR or some big money guy).
StephenvilleAg77
quote:
Some of these guys are trying to get their LOI released by Baylor. It's kinda like holding out of NFL training camp, if you're not there and practicing, you have some leverage. Hard to say if Baylor will cave though - the NCAA hasn't forced them to release the LOIs and Baylor would only do it to appease public pressure. They might feel like canning Briles was their pound of flesh and will dig in from here... Hard to say.

Notice that zero of this has anything to do with "the right thing". Looks like $$$ and wins are still driving the boat.
This times 1000.

There were other Baylor assistant coaches implicated in the report. Some of them won't be coaching at Baylor on August 1st.

But right now, Baylor is trying to keep its 2016 recruiting class from disintegrating. The Baylor objective is to get as many of its 2016 commits to show up and get enrolled in summer classes.

Once enrolled, those guys have almost zero options to be released and go elsewhere without transferring & sitting out a year unless the NCAA steps in (which is doubtful).

A&M has no interest in Kam Martin. We'd probably like to talk to Hudson and Cobb if they are released from their LOI's.
quidam65
quote:
Guys, remember that not all schools are out. Many are still in session and graduation hasn't occurred yet. So there is no reason to expect that some or even all of these guys would be on the Baylor campus today. Copperas Cove, for example, doesn't hold graduation until Friday, so it is NEXT Monday that you'd be looking at; not today.

But, going forward, I went to the LOI website to see what their options are. They can't just not show up and get out of the LOI contract.

Although it doesn't come right out and say it in so many words, I believe if Baylor were to give the player a release, he could then be recruited by other schools. He can't sign another LOI, but I don't believe that would be a barrier to playing for someone else this fall. If Baylor doesn't give them a release, I think their only option is JuCo. I also think in football once you go Juco, you are committed for 2 years, but I may be wrong about that.

Also keep in mind that, according to the LOI, they don't HAVE to show up until fall practices begin.

You can leave JuCo after one year. A lot of players do and A&M has recruited some with only one year in JuCo.
quidam65
quote:
Penn State was put on probation by the NCAA. If a school is on probation players can transfer without having to sit.

Baylor hasn't been put on probation (yet) and no decision will be made by the end of summer. If I'm a JuCo coach I'm calling every Baylor recruit I can and offering them the chance to get out of their LOI and play immediately.
Owlagdad
Some JCs could put together a good team. Then guys out of there in December, not bad for recruits, but terrible for Baylor.
ClassOf17
quote:

Josh Reynolds transferred here after one year in JUCO, playing 3 here. Not sure if that is the same or not.

Edit: Nvm someone beat me to it
Shooz in Katy
AG
Nice.
Bullet Tooth Tony
quote:
quote:

You can leave JuCo after one year. A lot of players do and A&M has recruited some with only one year in JuCo.
I think the rule is that you have to attain an associates degree from the JuCo. So yeah, you can just go there for one year, but you would have had to have lots of credits coming from High School and Summer classes. I think most kids that have 3 to play 3 have redshirted and actually spent 2 years in JuCo, while only playing 1 year.
The Collective
AG
If you are a qualifier and did not sign a LOI, you can leave JUCO after a year and be eligible immediately. This is what we did with Reynolds, but he did not sign a LOI with a FBS school out of HS, so I'm not sure how that plays a role in all of this. Reynolds spent one semester in JC and then transferred to A&M.
quidam65
quote:
quote:
quote:

I think the rule is that you have to attain an associates degree from the JuCo. So yeah, you can just go there for one year, but you would have had to have lots of credits coming from High School and Summer classes. I think most kids that have 3 to play 3 have redshirted and actually spent 2 years in JuCo, while only playing 1 year.
It appears I was wrong and you are correct. Per the National Letter of Intent website, the NLI is not binding if a student-athlete enrolls at a JuCo and graduates from the JuCo, but apparently still binding otherwise.

This is the link to the National Letter of Intent website:

http://www.nationalletter.org/index.html

Personally if a coach can leave a school and go elsewhere without penalty (not the case with Briles but may be the case with Sumlin), any student should be able to leave as well.
Ragoo
AG
could you not enroll, sit out a year and enroll wherever you want from there?
Muy
AG
As early as yesterday I've seen some Baylolr alumni I know already trying to turn this into a left wing media conspiracy. They are ready to move past this (even though the ****-show just started) and sharing articles about other schools that have had sexual assaults, going so far as to say "you know it's happening everywhere, especially at A&M".

What is it about stones and glass houses. Huge glass houses.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The worst thing that Baylor could do from a PR perspective is not let these players out of their LOI's. I hope that they are that stupid.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.