ANOTHER AAS Story on Why A&M Should Play Texas Again on the Gridiron

8,401 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by BiochemAg97
Charlie 31
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Sure, Texas vs. Texas A&M in hoops is fine; but why not football again?
Will Wednesday's basketball game in Bahamas lead to further discussions about restarting football series between the two schools?"

Brian Davis
Austin American-Statesman
November 24, 2015

This is Diplomacy 101. It took basketball tournament organizers in the Bahamas to pull off what level-headed administrators here in Texas can't seem to do get the Longhorns and Aggies back together again.

Tournament organizers didn't bother asking the schools about the politics. Texas and Texas A&M both agreed to play in the Battle 4 Atlantis this week in the Bahamas, and, lo and behold, we have Wednesday's matchup. Granted, it's in a hotel ballroom, just steps away from the ocean in a place called Paradise Islands.

[url=http://www.hookem.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Shaka-Billy.jpg][/url]Texas men's basketball coach Shaka Smart and Texas A&M's Billy Kennedy know that Wednesday's matchup means more than one regular-season game to both fan bases.

Of course, to many Texans, a men's basketball game isn't on par with renewing the schools' century-old football rivalry. But, hey, it's a start.

"I grew up watching Texas," UT forward Connor Lammert said. "I think we know what has come before us, and the mentality they've had going against this other team."

A&M men's coach Billy Kennedy conceded to reporters in College Station that, yes, this was an important game, albeit 1,300 miles from home.

"I'd be lying if I told you it wasn't a big game," Kennedy said. "Our hope is to be able to play in the state of Texas in the future. I'd like to do it one game here and the next year there, kind of like we're doing with Baylor."

Wait? Is the ice thinning on the bitter cold war between these two schools?

A&M left the Big 12 after the 2011-12 athletic year for the SEC. Many Aggies believe the school should never look back, although the school's fight song has not been altered to erase UT from the lyrics. The Aggies still want to "saw Varsity's horns off" while staring across the field at the Gators, Gamecocks and Crimson Tide. Texas fans still shout out Texas Fight, "And it's goodbye to A&M."

Could Texas and Texas A&M ever play football on Thanksgiving again?

UT has to rotate Thanksgiving opponents, because the Horns can't find a willing partner to schedule a permanent, holiday home-and-home series. Last year, TCU came to Austin. This year, Texas Tech plays UT in a nationally-televised game on Fox Sports 1.

A&M and LSU have linked up for a new series, although this year's game in Baton Rouge is on Saturday. TV partners push LSU to host the game on Thanksgiving, but athletic director Joe Alleva said in May, "As long as I'm here, we will not play in Tiger Stadium on a Thursday, I guarantee you that."

Texas and Texas A&M coaches seem open to the idea, although they also know monumental obstacles must be overcome first.

"I would love to play Texas A&M," UT football coach Charlie Strong said on Monday. "You look at two in-state rivals, it's a big-time game for us. I would love for it to happen. But a lot of things have to worked out for it to be."

That echoes what A&M's Kevin Sumlin said in July during an Austin alumni event. "I think everybody wants that game," Sumlin said. "Time brings about change. We're in different leagues. It's going to happen. I just don't see it happening anytime soon."

And therein lies the rub. Essentially, it comes down to campus politics and hard feelings.

Former Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds was so angry about A&M leaving the Big 12, he made it clear years ago, "We get to decide when we play them." The man who replaced Dodds, Steve Patterson, said there may come a day when it would "make some business sense, some branding sense" to play again. Some interpreted that as nonsense.

All the major UT players from the crazy conference realignment saga are gone: Dodds, UT President Bill Powers and UT System Chancellor Francisco Cigarroa. So is Patterson.

Current UT Chancellor Bill McRaven made it clear where he stands. "I'm a big believer that we need to get back and play the game," McRaven told Texas Monthly. "I'm not sure everybody's in agreement with me, but that's a tradition worth reviving."

His counterpart in College Station doesn't exactly agree.

"I will say there is less enthusiasm among the Aggie network now than there was back then," A&M Chancellor John Sharp told the Texas Tribune in May. "We have new friends and we like playing LSU and we like playing these folks."

Everybody knows where A&M regent Tony Buzbee stands. "I'm going to advocate that the Aggies play Texas again in the near future," he posted on Facebook in September. "The Aggies need some cupcake games to rest and heal."

Sharp and other A&M officials have maintained a similar public stance: The Aggies would be happy, even excited, to play the Longhorns in the College Football Playoff. But let's be honest. Neither team is getting to the national semifinals this year or anytime soon. UT is rebuilding its program under Strong. A&M is fighting an uphill battle in the SEC West, battling Alabama, Auburn and LSU.
[url=http://www.hookem.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/rbb-Interim-athletic-director-4x.jpg][/url]
Former Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds was not willing to schedule any future games against Texas A&M after the Aggies left the Big 12. Interim AD Mike Perrin admitted some want to see the rivalry return.

Still, interim Texas athletic director Mike Perrin is open to the idea of a non-conference game. "There's pressure from many areas for that game to resume," Perrin said.

Why should either team even consider it? Season ticket sales.

Sharp himself led reporters on a tour of the newly-expanded and remodeled Kyle Field last spring. A&M's stadium now holds 102,577. UT's Royal-Memorial Stadium holds 100,119, by comparison.

Playing Texas at home on even-numbered years would make business sense for A&M. In those years, the Aggies play at Alabama and Auburn. Next season, A&M's conference home games are against Tennessee, Ole Miss and LSU. A&M has UCLA (2016), Clemson (2018) and Colorado (2020) coming in future years.

A&M bean counters will note the 2018 and 2020 SEC home schedules aren't that impressive. Kentucky comes to A&M in 2018; Vanderbilt arrives in 2020. As things stand now, Sumlin is 6-9 against SEC teams at Kyle Field since the start of the 2012 season.

Texas officials would probably be OK with playing in Austin on odd-numbered years. The 2017 home schedule features Maryland and Central Florida, along with usual Big 12 foes like Kansas and Kansas State. The even-numbered years work in UT's favor from a ticket-selling point of view, getting Baylor and TCU at home.
If the Longhorns ever hope to expand the south end zone of Royal-Memorial Stadium, they'll need solid opponents to hawk more season tickets and suites.

This year's seniors are the first group of Longhorns and Aggies who will never have played each other since the series began in 1894; the last series hiatus took place from 1912-14, but was resumed in 1915 and remained until the 2011 split.

"I feel like that would be a nice game," said Texas senior linebacker Peter Jinkens, who grew up in Dallas. "I've never played A&M, but I've seen the film and the stories about it. I'd like to be a part of that, too."

Tuesday marked the fourth anniversary of Justin Tucker's game-winning kick in 2011 to win the final game played in the rivalry. Cue UT radio announcer Craig Way: "Justin's kick is GOOD! IT'S GOOD!"

"I kind of like the way we went out on top, though, with that final win," UT safety Dylan Haines said. "So I don't know if we're ready to play yet. I definitely see that coming around in the future. I don't think that was the last Texas-Texas A&M game."
goodAg80
AG
Sure Brian.

Here is a different thought.

ckwarren33
Funny, no mention of the yellow laundry that has a tendency to fall just in time to preserve Dirty Whorn's victory. Also, no mention of the all the propaganda and spin the Dirty Whorns are still very good at (unlike football). Finally, no comparison of the economics of playing an ACC/B1G/PAC power OOC versus Dirty Whorn. Gee, I wonder why.
racerfink
Strong said on Monday. "You look at two in-state rivals, it's a big-time game for us. I would love for it to happen. But a lot of things have to worked out for it to be."

WTF is ol mush-mouth trying to say in that last sentence?
buda91
AG
Grew up in BCS and Austin, went to TAMU and also tu. Grew up on the game. Haven't missed it. Too much fun in SEC EVERY week.
La Vernia_Ag06
AG
Pretty interesting all these "play the game" articles are coming out of Austin.
PCC_80
AG
quote:
Why should either team even consider it? Season ticket sales.
The sips Season Ticket Sales are down big, we are sold out. So, only the sips have any real incentive to restart the game.

The sips need the game to sell tickets because they have created for themselves a cr@ppy conference with mostly cr@ppy teams that no one is interested in watching.
permabull
AG
LosAngelesAg
AG
quote:
Current UT Chancellor Bill McRaven made it clear where he stands. "I'm a big believer that we need to get back and play the game," McRaven told Texas Monthly. "I'm not sure everybody's in agreement with me, but that's a tradition worth reviving."
quote:
"I will say there is less enthusiasm among the Aggie network now than there was back then," A&M Chancellor John Sharp told the Texas Tribune in May. "We have new friends and we like playing LSU and we like playing these folks."
****ing brutal
Maroon Dawn
AG
Sip is desperate for a game that will sell tickets and a chance to stem the recruiting bleeding with a win.

And yet there are idiots in our own ranks who want to help them out and save their drowning program just so they can **** talk their sip BIL one day a year.

Just remember: if the situation was reversed, they would NEVER help us out by renewing the series and save our drowning program.

Don't be the idiot running to throw them a life preserver
Skull Session
Man we just got back from one heckuva trip to Nashville. Food was great, grand ol opry at the Ryman, music row on Broadway, museums, and last but not least an SEC football game with thousands of fellow Aggies. And you want us to play in Austin again? No thanks.

And the kicker to the deal, I believe it was schlabach has us projected to go back to a bowl game there on the 30th in the Titans stadium.
W
AG
some revisionist history in this false statement:

"UT has to rotate Thanksgiving opponents, because the Horns can't find a willing partner to schedule a permanent, holiday home-and-home series. Last year, TCU came to Austin. This year, Texas Tech plays UT in a nationally-televised game on Fox Sports 1."

the sips didn't want a home & home series once the Ags left -- they want/wanted to play on turkey day at home every year
W
AG
and hilarious that now the sip chancellor, sip coach, and sip AD are open about playing A&M.

as previously mentioned...that's all because their home schedule stinks every season (along with declining ticket sales)
Kemo Sabe
I wouldn't be going to Kyle field to watch A&M play tech or TCU on thanksgiving night either. Thanksgiving has been lost to the pros over the last couple of decades. Let it go. I would rather be in New Orleans on Friday and Baton Rouge on Saturday night, than in Austin at anytime on thanksgiving weekend. . The game with the sips has no appeal. It's just another game. It cost your program a lot more if you lose than you get from a win. So forget about it. The sips have fallen in the same category as the university of Houston.
stexagg
This basketball game tomorrow is NOT a "big" game. Kentucky and others in the SEC, those will be "big" games.

They wanna play football again, WE dictate the terms. I like the 50/50 PUF split to start. Then the game should be played in College Station every year (like LSU used to do back in the day with us). Last, no game will be televised on the LHN. We'll see how bad they want to play us.
yeshellyes
AG
And NEVER EVER use their refs
wbt5845
AG
quote:
Sip is desperate for a game that will sell tickets and a chance to stem the recruiting bleeding with a win.

And yet there are idiots in our own ranks who want to help them out and save their drowning program just so they can **** talk their sip BIL one day a year.

Just remember: if the situation was reversed, they would NEVER help us out by renewing the series and save our drowning program.

Don't be the idiot running to throw them a life preserver

This right here sums the whole thing up perfectly.
bedofbrass33
AG
**** the sips and their duplicitous backstabbing. **** the sips and their attempts to control everything. **** that institution's corruption, entitlement, and manipulation.
Bottlehead90
AG
And the media carries their water and writes click bait articles.

No
Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:
Next season, A&M's conference home games are against Tennessee, Ole Miss and LSU.

quote:
A&M bean counters will note the 2018 and 2020 SEC home schedules aren't that impressive.

quote:
A&M has UCLA (2016), Clemson (2018) and Colorado (2020) coming in future years.

So we'll continue to host LSU and Ole Miss in even years, and we replace Tennessee with Clemson in 2020. How is that anything remotely close to the crap the horns will roll out every year? They have one big game, and it's in Dallas. A&M has 2-3 big home games every single year. It's not just that we aren't in the same boat on the scheduling and attendance issues, it's that the horns aren't in a boat at all - they're dog paddling next to one.

Screw this idea that we both need the game. Only one team does, and if the shoe was on the other foot, they'd let us drown. They pretended to be the big shots when we left. Let them rot.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
some revisionist history in this false statement:

"UT has to rotate Thanksgiving opponents, because the Horns can't find a willing partner to schedule a permanent, holiday home-and-home series. Last year, TCU came to Austin. This year, Texas Tech plays UT in a nationally-televised game on Fox Sports 1."

the sips didn't want a home & home series once the Ags left -- they want/wanted to play on turkey day at home every year
"Revisionist history" is a euphemism for bald-faced lie. But the funnier thing about that statement is the acknowledgement that the horns cannot even pay a school to schedule a home and home with them on Thanksgiving. And that includes their conference mates.

They pay conference foes like Kansas to have their games on the LHN, after all.
Bonfire1996
AG
This is why you can't even entertain the idea of scheduling them....
quote:
Sharp and other A&M officials have maintained a similar public stance: The Aggies would be happy, even excited, to play the Longhorns in the College Football Playoff. But let's be honest. Neither team is getting to the national semifinals this year or anytime soon. UT is rebuilding its program under Strong. A&M is fighting an uphill battle in the SEC West, battling Alabama, Auburn and LSU.

Can you feel that bias? Can you feel how he just equated our two programs? They are 10-13 under String and getting worse. We are 16-8 in the same timeframe and getting better in all the SEC necessary areas. That's a 5.5 game lead in 24 games. In baseball terms, that ain't close.
Tailgate88
AG
I enjoy EVERY SEC game more than I enjoyed any game vs the sips. Eff 'em.
The Fife
It wouldn't bother me if we only met during a bowl game in the odd year that they were even eligible. They can go and **** themselves. Have fun with Baylor, Iowa State and TCU in the Big 12!
b_rad
AG
AAS always bringing up this cr@p this time of year. Why? Because they miss us. Because we are their rival. Because they are envious of what we have in the SEC. I wonder why the paper in Bryan/CS never brings this up or writes a column about it? Uh wait, I think I know why.
HogsSmellGood
For selfish reasons I hope A&M never throws them that lifeline! The Hogs only get a few from Texas every year but those few have been outstanding players. I like the idea of A&M cherry picking the best players for their system leaving a LOT for Arkansas and LSU.
The success of Baylor and TCU cannot be sustained because of their terrible conference!! Let them all die on the vine!!
vin1041
AG
Never play the sips in football again. Only in a bowl game.
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
I enjoy EVERY SEC game more than I enjoyed any game vs the sips. Eff 'em.
AMEN...
We just returned from a road trip to play the worst team in the SEC and had a GREAT time. Sure the game was cold and not exactly world class BUT it was NASHVILLE !!!! With the possible exception of Starkville EVERY SEC venue tops EVERY BDF venue ( rant all you want about Austin but its just a nice hill covered crowded city with over blown food and crap music)...
Good grief...On SEC road trips you can do:
New Orleans
Charleston
Memphis
Nashville
Mobile/Biloxi
Pensacola
Lexington
Knoxville
Hotlanta

vs the BDF outposts.
NOT EVEN CLOSE !!!!
vansprinkle
AG
quote:
Man we just got back from one heckuva trip to Nashville. Food was great, grand ol opry at the Ryman, music row on Broadway, museums, and last but not least an SEC football game with thousands of fellow Aggies. And you want us to play in Austin again? No thanks.

And the kicker to the deal, I believe it was schlabach has us projected to go back to a bowl game there on the 30th in the Titans stadium.

I've never really been sold on Austin. After this weekends trip, I realize what a sheet hole it is. I hate pop country, but there were plenty of places in Nashville playing other stuff, and every singer was amazing.

Last year we hit up USC and then drove down to Athens for the Clem/UGA game. As amazing as all of that was, I think I had a better time in Nashville. Definitely neck and neck with best road game trips I've ever had.

Sheet, if we play The Music City Bowl, I'm going back and spending a whole damn week this time. So many more places to eat and drink that I couldn't see in just 3.5 days.
aggiehawg
AG
The sips should just give up that Thanksgiving time slot altogether. We will never play them on that date again as we have the LSU game. LSU doesn't have an in-state rival for this week. Ditto Arkansas and Missouri. We couldn't change that even if we wanted to.

Which we most assuredly do not want to do.
dermdoc
AG
I was thinking about the Austin/Nashville comparisons myself and IMHO, Nashville kicks Austin's ass. Sat in Robert's Western World for five hours last Friday afternoon listening to an awesome band playing real country music like Merle, Patsy Cline, Ernest Tubbs, Hank Williams, etc. And only one misplaced sip that I saw. Beautiful.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
I was thinking about the Austin/Nashville comparisons myself and IMHO, Nashville kicks Austin's ass. Sat in Robert's Western World for five hours last Friday afternoon listening to an awesome band playing real country music like Merle, Patsy Cline, Ernest Tubbs, Hank Williams, etc. And only one misplaced sip that I saw. Beautiful.
On Friday afternoon just walking down Broadway we heard some fiddle playing from a little hole in the wall. Walked in and discovered a threesome made up of a fiddle player that played with Haggard, a drummer that played with Charlie Daniels and a singer that backed up a lot of well known groups. No cover, coooold Shiner Bock on tap and unbelievable GREAT country... Sat there for 2 hours and got a show that rivaled anything that Asleep At The Wheel could do. There were Ags all over with young children and not a single instance where a child needed to be "sheltered". Try THAT on 6th street on a Friday. There is NO comparison. Nashville wins hands down !
vansprinkle
AG
quote:
UT has to rotate Thanksgiving opponents, because the Horns can't find a willing partner to schedule a permanent, holiday home-and-home series. Last year, TCU came to Austin. This year, Texas Tech plays UT in a nationally-televised game on Fox Sports 1.

Is it because they can't find someone willing to play a home and home, or is because of their obvious hubris and believing that they own Tday?

My gut tells me it's the latter.
aggieduke
AG
No orange slant at all in that article. Lolololo
AlaskanAg99
AG
Let em go a decade. The problem will always be in recruiting in state. A head to head win over us helps them, them rotting and being irrelevant helps us.

Let 'em burn in the dumpster conference they lit afire.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.