Chollie, you magnificent ******* - you should have read his book!

5,855 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Tailgate88
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Excerpt from a DMN interview with Kevin Sumlin right before the season in 2012. Oh Chollie you could have learned so much. ****ing graduate level schooling right here on how to come in and take over a program.

quote:
Q: Fans and media obviously are focused on Saturday's opener against Florida. I'm wondering how you visualize the program being in 'x' number of years. Pick a timeframe.

A: I've never put a time on it. Didn't put a time on it in Houston. I think you owe it to the players who are here, particularly the seniors, to try to win now. I'm not a big believer in going in and scrapping everything and throwing out everything. Because the guys who have been here four or five years have invested a lot.

I've said a bunch. Transition is hard on everybody. It's hard on fans. It's hard on coaches. It's hard on coaches' families. But transition is hardest on the players, particularly the seniors. Realistically, they didn't sign up for me. They just didn't. I think in order to be successful, you've got to get people to trust you. It's hard for people to trust you if they don't know you.

You can fool grownups a lot easier than you can 18-year-olds. I think they see right through phoniness. That's the first thing that they're looking for, who you are and are you a fake? Is that really you?

Great teams lead from within. As the coach, you're the director of that. But you don't play. If people don't buy into what you believe in and trying to preach, it'll show.

speedy
AG
Absolutely right on. The core value that dumb-dumb in Austin did not even know about.
45-70Ag
AG
Unreal
Token
AG
sumlin is an extremely bright man, and it's blatantly obvious. However, that dumbass in austin couldn't even spell Swoopes, but has 5 core values that no one gives a **** about
ClickClack
AG
In all seriousness, Kevin Sumlin is dead on point there. And he backed it up with 11 wins in his first year.
Lloyd 19inchmas
Sumlin's 19 inch dick traveling through time to mushroom stamp Charlie.
usmcbrooks
quote:
sumlin is an extremely bright man, and it's blatantly obvious. However, that dumbass in austin couldn't even spell Swoopes, but has 5 core values that no one gives a **** about
He also didn't know Tyrone and Swoopes were the same person.
Muy
AG
quote:
Rocco S
quote:
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
Laugh/cry.

quote:
Potcake
AG
quote:
But transition is hardest on the players, particularly the seniors. Realistically, they didn't sign up for me. They just didn't.

I love this guy. That quote let's you know right off the bat what he's made of.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
quote:
d78230
AG
Kds knows football coaching.

Kds knows kids.

Kds knows fans.

Kds knows media.

Token
AG
quote:
man....
Bottlehead90
AG
KDS!
dreyOO
Great OP. Fantastic comparison.

As Token put it, its OBVIOUS that Sumlin is very intelligent. This is why it shows the stupidity in Austin to think you could basically hire any black coach, and their course would reverse. Offensive really. Because there's no way you could sit through an interview with Strong and feel confident about his abilities. No joke.
13 0 Branding Iron
AG
the most important 3 words: "you don't play"
13 0 Branding Iron
AG
All that other core bullshi t was and is for retarded fans
aggiehawg
AG
Posted this in another thread, but it stresses how different Strong is on the recruiting trail:

quote:
quote:
On some recent trips back to Texas, I talked to two high school coaches. Both have won state titles; both are "Texas guys" (as opposed to A&M guys); one has a player at Texas now. Neither coach had ever met Charlie Strong, nor talked to him on the phone, nor exchanged emails with him.

One coach told me he'd been in the same room with Strong at a local coaches' meeting, but Strong left after giving a speech without sticking around to shake hands.

The other coach told me that when Texas recruited one of his players, Strong's assistants funneled their communications through the recruit rather than the coach. This was the case even when the Texas assistants came to watch the recruit at high school practice entering the high school coach's domain, as it were.

At some point in our talk, the second coach pointed across his office. There, behind glass, was a Mack Brown autographed football.

A similar story, published last year on ESPN Insider, depicted Strong as awkward and aloof. Neither coach I talked to subscribed to that idea. They both liked Strong and his staff very much and wanted them to win. But they were struck by how much of the burden they were trying to shoulder themselves. The message coming out of Bellmont Hall was, We've got this.
This is a puff piece on Strong for the most part. You've been warned.

Link
vin1041
AG
The COBRA Strikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rocco S
quote:
Posted this in another thread, but it stresses how different Strong is on the recruiting trail:

quote:
quote:
On some recent trips back to Texas, I talked to two high school coaches. Both have won state titles; both are "Texas guys" (as opposed to A&M guys); one has a player at Texas now. Neither coach had ever met Charlie Strong, nor talked to him on the phone, nor exchanged emails with him.

One coach told me he'd been in the same room with Strong at a local coaches' meeting, but Strong left after giving a speech without sticking around to shake hands.

The other coach told me that when Texas recruited one of his players, Strong's assistants funneled their communications through the recruit rather than the coach. This was the case even when the Texas assistants came to watch the recruit at high school practice entering the high school coach's domain, as it were.

At some point in our talk, the second coach pointed across his office. There, behind glass, was a Mack Brown autographed football.

A similar story, published last year on ESPN Insider, depicted Strong as awkward and aloof. Neither coach I talked to subscribed to that idea. They both liked Strong and his staff very much and wanted them to win. But they were struck by how much of the burden they were trying to shoulder themselves. The message coming out of Bellmont Hall was, We've got this.
This is a puff piece on Strong for the most part. You've been warned.

Link

Written by Bryan Curtis.

Certified tsip. Knew he had to be when reading that, looked it up just to be sure.

Waste of bandwidth.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
Born Maroon
AG
quote:
quote:

taggie07
AG
Man you know he cant read, that's wrong
Bobcat06
AG
Nice Patton reference by the OP
Sniffing Accountant
AG
quote:
quote:
But transition is hardest on the players, particularly the seniors. Realistically, they didn't sign up for me. They just didn't.

I love this guy. That quote let's you know right off the bat what he's made of.

Sumlin is absolutely right. You had these seniors bust their ass for 3 years for Sherman, getting beat up and sometimes injured. You owe it to them to try and win some games, not let some freshman come in and take their spot when there's a "tie" during practice. You're effectively saying "your previous 3 years here don't matter. All that work and applicable experience don't mean **** because this 18 year old can run through these tires a bit faster than you."
45-70Ag
AG
Nice Patton reference in the title.
SwigAg11
AG
I'm glad I watched that movie for the first time last month!
AggieBand2004
AG
Great movie
Right up there with A Bridge Too Far and Saving Private Ryan
tbirdspur2010
AG
The chasm of intelligence between one Mr. Strong and one Mr. Sumlin can be measured in light years.
permabull
AG
13 0 Branding Iron
AG
Charles got set up to fail. They don't care aboUT their own players, who are apparently required in on camera clown shows to act instead of play football.. which is why a real team can put 50 points on them effort lessly

Hoodwinked, embarass ed teenages told to act like they were in Cover 1 and then predict ably get juked

On TV. That's what t he embarrassing phone half tI me issue was about.

AggieTFA06
AG
i admit i had a hard time trying to star lloyd's post because I was laughing so hard. Finally able to star his post once I controlled my laughter
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Tailgate88
AG
TOTY
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.